Brother sister incest: The opinion poll

• Brother sister incest: The opinion poll

What is your personal opinion about consensual brother-sister incest with safe sex? 73
        I am against it because it is illegal. (15) 21%
        I am against it because it is socially unacceptable and immoral. (35) 48%
        I am against it because of religious reasons. (7) 10%
        I am against it because safe sex is not 100% reliable and an unwanted pregnancy can occur. (13) 18%
        I am against all sexual acts outside of marriage. (0) 0%
        I maintain a neutral position and neither approve nor condemn it. (5) 7%
        I would not participate in incest, but will not condemn others who do so. (14) 19%
        What consenting partners do in privacy is nobody else’s business. (20) 27%
        It is part of sexual experimentation and curiosity and of a passing nature. (22) 30%
        Incest should be decriminalised. (14) 19%
      This is an opinion poll on the topic of brother-sister incest to gauge opinions about this controversial but often discussed subject. (Another poll on Teenhut concerns own experiences about brother-sister incest, not opinions about the subject; one other thread does not include a poll.)
      The question is: what is your personal opinion about brother-sister incest, provided that it is consensual (both agree to it, without any coercion or force) and safe sex is practised to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and ensure that no children are born?
      For this poll incest implies any sexual act (intercourse, oral sex, mutual masturbation), and brother-sister incest also includes same-sex inter-sibling physical sexual acts.
      This is a multiple choice poll: select all answers that apply.
      Please note that for the purposes of this introduction to the poll I neither approve of nor express opposision to brother-sister incest (whatever my personal opinion may be).
      Participants in debates about brother-sister incest fall in one of three categories:
      (1) those firmly opposed to it, for various reasons;
      (2) those who hold a neutral position (neither for nor against it), and
      (3) those who think it is OK, that the taboo on incest is outdated and that it should be decriminalised.
      The opponents to B-S incest usually state as their reasons that it is “illegal”, “wrong”, “sick”, “gross”, or “not right,” usually without fully explaining their reasons. For most it is a cultural taboo, often supported by religious motives (both the Bible and the Quoran prohibit incest).. Others are opposed to incest because of the risk of an unwanted pregnancy and the increased biological risks of inbreeding.
      Fact is that incest is not illegal in some countries and states. Napoleon himself decriminalised incest in France in 1810, and it was similarly decriminalised in the Netherlands at the same time. Incest is not illegal in Brazil. In Sweden a brother and sister may marry provided they cannot procreate (i.e. are over 50 years of age, or sterilised). In the US not all states regard it as illegal: Rhode Island repealed its criminal incest statute in 1989 and in New Jersey no penalties are applied if both parties are over 18. Likewise, in Israel, consensual incest between adults (of the age of 18 years and above) is not a crime. Etc.
      Just as gay sex is increasingly decriminalised, many liberal thinking individuals believe that consensual incest should be decriminalised since it is a victimless crime and often a guiltless act. Others believe that what consenting adults do in privacy is nobody else’s business. There are those who claim that, with the advent of safe sex (condoms and the contraception pill) sex is no longer mainly practised for procreation, but for recreation.
      Brother-sister sexual interaction sometimes occur as a part of experimentation during teenage years to satisfy sexual curiosity, and is often regarded as harmless by those who practiced it, often only a few times, but sometimes for an extended time. However, feelings of guilt and remorse in some cases have afterwards been reported.
      Express your opinion about this controversial topic. If your position is not represented by the options in the poll, tell us what it is. And if you paticipate in the debate, motivate your choices and opinion; state why you think it is “wrong”, “sick”, “gross”, “not right” on the one hand, or why it may be acceptable (and under what conditions) on the other hand.
    • Re: Brother sister incest: The opinion poll

Mikep wrote:

Do we really need another thread on this? The other thread on incest is the 3rd most popular thread in the Sexuality forum.
      teenhut.net/teen-sexuality/440…her-sister-incest-ok.html
      But I am against it because it is socially unacceptable and immoral.

I am fully aware of the other discussion thread and another poll on this controversial topic, and thought long before deciding to post a new poll. From the discussion thread one cannot judge the overall response - how many is against it, how many are neutral, and how many oppose the very idea of brother-sister incest.
      The other poll you mention gives simply a "yes/no" choice without any of the reasons for opposing/approving of the act, and is an open poll (where voters are identified), which discourages many to vote (and that is why so few have voted there so far).
      Importantly, you state your reason for being against brother-sister incest, namely "I am against it because it is socially unacceptable and immoral". But we must at the same time remember that what is socially and morally acceptable in one community, may be totally rejected by another community. A good example is female circumcision, which is practised in some African and Arab countries as totally acceptable and moral, whereas I find it socially unacceptable and immoral. And then there is a growing belief amongst many that routine male baby circumcision is unacceptable and immoral, whereas it is practised by many as quite OK.
      We must also remember that morals and opinions do change over time. For example, two centuries ago slavery was regarded as the norm; today it is regarded as totally unacceptable. Fifty years ago gay sex was regarded by many as unacceptable (and it is still illegal in many countries), whereas gay relationships (and even marriages) are accepted today in many communities.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hank5 ().

I made my opinion clear about this subject in the other thread. Though I personally am quite apathetic towards the subject, I do not really see any reason why it should be illegal or bashed the way it is.
      [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Seduce&Destroy[/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      You're sure you still wanna play this evil lil game?
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Lewkleton wrote:

I base my life with no meaningless restrictions such as religion, so the only thing I find immoral is an act which brings harm, physical or emotional, upon another person.

Therefore, I find nothing wrong with it. Go ahead, fuck your sister/brother, if you both want to, where's the harm?

+rep
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Mmkay then, here's an opinion with something to back it up. Our race is as it is because of genetic variety. There might not be as much as in, say, dogs, but there's certainly an awful lot. The biggest problem with incest is that because there's so much shared DNA between siblings, it'll be a huge detriment to their child's health. They'll be tens of times more likely to be born with various genetic diseases ranging from physical problems like hydrocephalus, to mental issues, for example autism. From a genetic viewpoint, therefore, I'm a firm no.

WeeDeVilSpaWn wrote:

Mmkay then, here's an opinion with something to back it up. Our race is as it is because of genetic variety. There might not be as much as in, say, dogs, but there's certainly an awful lot. The biggest problem with incest is that because there's so much shared DNA between siblings, it'll be a huge detriment to their child's health. They'll be tens of times more likely to be born with various genetic diseases ranging from physical problems like hydrocephalus, to mental issues, for example autism. From a genetic viewpoint, therefore, I'm a firm no.

Actually, those facts are exaggerated. The real percentage is that you are 3% more likely to produce a child with deformity in an incestuous relationship than in a non-incestuous one. So in actuality incest won't likely produce any deformed children unless an entire family line is incestuous.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]