General Life Depression/Anxiety Rant

• General Life Depression/Anxiety Rant

(warning, long wall-o'-text ahead)

To start off with, I'm a 19 year-old female college freshman. I've led what most would consider a pretty average life, at least on the outside. I just have some problems that are combining to make me feel what I'm pretty sure is depression...or anxiety.

One thing that's been bringing me down for a few years now is that I've never been in a relationship. I've went on about 3 dates with a guy until I realized I was just using him because he was the only decent guy who'd ever asked me out. I quickly broke it off, as i didn't want to pull him in further. I can count on one hand the number of guys who have asked me out, including the dares and jokes. This is not including people on the internet. Ordinarily, I wouldn't mind, if it was just that I wasn't attractive, or likeable, or something like that. But numerous friends, family, and random strangers have told me that I'm cute, sexy, funny, and very easy to get along with, if a little hyper/energetic. I'm also a hopeless romantic, which is just furthering my dilemma. I get depressed that I don't have anyone to be affectionate towards, and have been feeling increasingly lonely. Every time if find a guy/girl (i'm bi) that I like, they either don't like me for sure, are straight (in the girls' case), or are taken. I've tried flirting, I've tried being open, and I usually end up getting rejected, either subtly or flat out. I know I'm only 19, that I've got my whole life to find that special someone, but would it kill to be able to get a little practice in before then? I've still never even been kissed, for crying out loud...And lately I've been getting sexually frustrated, from (i'm assuming) being around a bunch of girls (my friends) who I like. The past week alone, I've had three wet dreams, each involving a different girl.

I also have to deal with the fact that I'm bisexual. I accepted the possibility about 3 years ago, and finally stopped denying it last year. I'm more attracted to girls than guys, which makes my situation that much worse. My parents don't know, but most of my friends at school do. My mom recently found out, when she found and read my old diary. She called me and told me she was more upset over the fact that I felt I couldn't come to her, than the fact that I was bi. We haven't really spoken about it since, although whenever something comes up about gays, she'll sometimes glance at me.

School has been driving me insane. Since the age of five, I've wanted to be an architect. I'm not a great artist, but give me something 3-D to work with, and I can go with the best. Unfortunately, that's not what our coursework includes right now. Plus, most of my life, I've been a horrible procrastinator, and it now seems to be ganging up on me worse than ever. I haven't been to my math class in two weeks, and I'm failing two of my other classes. I just feel like I'm not smart enough, and what's the point of doing work that's just going to get me bad grades anyway? I know it's not true, but I'm sure many of you understand that that doesn't really help me to get my work done. I'll psych myself up, get everything ready, and end up going, "well, I can leave it for a half-hour...or an hour...or tonight...or tomorrow...or next week" and it ends up not ever getting done. I don't want to mess up, but I just don't know what to do. Plus, I've had to lie to my parents about my grades, as my mom used to kill me in high school if any of my grades dropped below a "B", and still be majorly upset if they were not an "A". She's threatened to not let me come back to college if my gpa drops below a 2.0 (which it already has, hence, the lying). I feel like I reached my peak in 8th grade, and have been steadily dropping since. This causes so much anxiety that I'm constantly worried, my stomach is always tense, I don't get much sleep, (although that's more because I stay up late), and I generally get mad at myself, alternated with depression about what the heck I'm going to do.

For most of my life until high school, I've constantly had people making fun of me. I was the generic bookworm, the kid who'd rather stay inside and read than go out and play with friends. I was the teacher's pet, aside from the procrastinating, and up till about 8th grade, people would swear I was a genius. I had very few friends, and my dad being in the military, had to leave them behind sometimes. Luckily, I've only moved 3 times, with the last being to college with my dad's retirement. I got picked on a lot for aforementioned reasons, and even had some friends who I found out were just using me for attention. I've had a few really good friends, and as I got older (and kids grew less immature), it mostly stopped. I was still known as the bookworm, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't like me. But those past years of being picked on, beaten up, and being betrayed really messed up my self-esteem. I'm constantly afraid that people are just putting up with me, and are laughing at me behind my back. No matter how much evidence to the contrary, I still have that nagging fear, and I'm not sure I'll ever get rid of it. Which just adds to my anxiety.

I also have to deal with having my mom have really high expectations of me. My mom has worked hard all her life, and is very successful because of it. We're not rich, but we're not low class either. She's always pushing on me about how important education is, and how I'm so smart. I've tried to tell her I don't feel as smart as I used to be, but she just pushes it off as me being lazy. I hate disappointing her, but I can't do much else, as when I do try my best, I still fall short. She just claims I'm not trying my best. I'm also not as "type-A" as she is, and tend to be a bit of a slob sometimes. If it gets bad enough, I clean up, but I'm just generally kind of messy. This gets her mad a lot, as she prides cleanliness more than anything. She acts like it's going to ruin my life if I don't get into the habit of picking up my room, and vacuuming, and cleaning/dusting, and wiping things down, aaaand you get the idea. It's funny, because my room messy, is generally better than most of my old friends' clean. But I digress. This generally leads up to feeling like a disappointment, and lowering my self-esteem even more, as I even though I know she loves me just the way I am, she wants me to be better, which I just don't feel like I can do.

I've thought about suicide a few times, more imagining how I would do it and what would happen than actually sincerely doing it. I tried cutting, but it didn't make me feel any better. I get into these up and down moods, usually up, and very infrequently down, so I'm pretty sure I'm not bi-polar, but it still leaves me depressed. I'm in a bit of a low mood now, which is pretty much why I'm writing this. It feels good to get it all out, to know someone is listening, or in this case, reading. Thanks to all of those who actually read this giant wall of text lol.
    • Re: General Life Depression/Anxiety Rant

Hmm, that was a mouthful, and it seems there's so much on your mind, your not sure where to start.

For me, it starts here, your 19 and from what you've written, i can tell your smart, attractive and enjoy reading, which shows there's something intellectual there. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that., i bet there's scores of good guys and girls out there, that would give anything for a girl like you, but just don't know where or how to find her.

Relationships bi, and straight, love is hard to come by, though from my belief, everyone in fair life does find love, i met my last love standing outside a burger shop, it can happen anytime, anywhere. Try not to stress on this one, pick up that chin, gain your confidence and go get some.

I had the same issue with my parents, thankfully after a while mine took to the idea, that if i was going to study and go with a profession, it'd be best if it was something i was into, some parents sadly, just don't, they have other plans for their offspring. You do what they want. Only thing that can fix that, is leave, wait it out till they get over their power struggle, or sit down and actually tell your ma how you feel. i know its not that common now days, but if you told her what you just told us, she'd understand exactly what your talking about.

I was bullied in junior, i was a tubby kid untill junior high, it does suck, kids are going to be kids though, don't let the past influence your future, if everyone did that we'd be going backwards.

I dont know what else to say to you, apart from keep your head up, know there's a plan for you, and keep it tight. Life is better than nothingness.

Smile :)
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew ~

[/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]

I don't want you to think I am judging you, because I don't know you;
      but from what you have written I don't think you are suffering from depression or anxiety.

I think you just have this HUGE weight on your shoulders which you need to get rid of.

Do you feel a bit better after writing that?

I think you have a lot in your life yes, but you can't let it bring you down.

You just gotta keep your head high in public; but babe it's ok to cry :)

Just make sure you have some "me" time where you chillax, just make sure you get some time away from all the hussle and bussle of life.
      But yeah. I wouldn't worry about depression as such, coz depression IS and illness that can require medication. I personally think you can fight this private battle on your own, just take it steady and believe in yourself.

If one of the girls in your avatar are you, then babe, you're a stunner XD

Keep Smiling.

:D

Thanks, and I was just more on the anxiety side, as I sometimes get these almost panic attacks where it just seems like it's all going to come crashing down on me. I don't think I need medication, and am not looking for that.

And no, my avi is from a show, but I sure as hell wish lol