A Huge Mess That I Need Help With

• A Huge Mess That I Need Help With

Hello all! I found this site while searching for kids/people with similar stories and how they dealt with them. As you can probably tell, I haven't found one yet as that is why I'm posting now. :D The following is a bit of a read, but any information or guidance you could provide would be deeply appreciated! :)

So, I've liked this girl named Sallie for a little over a year now. I'm more of the kind of person who likes people based on how we connect rather than what they look like (though that is a factor, we are human after all haha). That being said, she wore athletic clothes for the majority of our freshman year, but I thought she was cute and shared a lot of the same interests with me. Sallie made a run at a student-council seat and was often criticized for being an "over-achiever" (something I've always noticed in every area of school) during the campaign. Before she won, I told her I admired her campaign tactics and that she should never listen to what anyone says. Her response was:

"Wow. you may never know how much I appreciate your kind words. Throughout my life people have told me these things, but it's nice to know that some people understand. Thank you so much for everything!! I have soooooooo much respect for you."

During the summer I noticed on Facebook that she had been taking some photography classes. I'm actually a photographer myself and contacted her asking if she wanted me to give her a few pointers. She responded and said yes and that we should get some dinner afterwards. Natually, I thought Sallie may like me a little too but she's not exactly the type of girl that's "boy-literate" or may do things that could be interpreted as showing affection/liking but are usually not intended to. We had a great night when we met up! We talked a lot, I payed for dinner (something I hear that isn't too common nowadays for teenage guys??), and she introduced me to her father. She had given me her phone number during the "meet-up" in case we decided doing it again. I tried texting her, but got no response.

Summer is over and our sophomore year starts! During February, our school had a dance. Sallie asks me one day," I NEED to ask you something!" She then motions me to come over to her desk so that she can give me a piece of paper. She tells me not to show anyone, so I go back over to my desk to read out. No sooner do I start uncrumbling it she comes over and snatches it out of my hands (ookkayy??). She tells me in person," Do you think I should ask John to the dance? I think he's out of my league." Now, personally, John is. But, I told her to not give a fu** what anyone thinks and ask him out (I didn't think that was socially acceptable??). I also felt like shit because I thought she was going to ask me. :( She asked and got rejected. I sort of felt bad for telling her to and sent her another note. Her reply was:

"You're soooo nice! Thank you so much for your advice! haha, ur right I am resilient and it's John's loss. haha. you're truly a great friend!! Thanks!! You'll have to save a dance for me @ Society Smash! ahah!"

I ended up not going due to being ill. After that, we were eating lunch with our friends when I bring up some site that was a poll on who was the hottest girl in our school. The girls get pissed about it and say that somebody should create one for the guys. They start wondering who they would put in it and Sallie says," How about George and Evan? I wonder who would win?" She moves her hands up and down like a scale/level and mumbles my name under her breath. She then starts questioning me how I got into my photography business along with several other ventures.

I start to notice this rather odd behavior of hers and presume she likes me. There's this project I'm involved in that's related to NPR's StoryCorps. I'm photographing the renovation of a bus and there are some really interesting people involved in the project that I wanted Sallie to meet. I also wanted to get her alone so that I could tell her I liked her. I asked her one day after class and she enthusiastically said yes. Leading up to it, one day she said, "We BETTER be getting something to eat after it." Of course, I said we would. We left after school one day and had a pretty good time. I had planned on telling her I liked her and possibly asking her out right when I was about to drop her off to avoid any awkwardness during the time we were together. We got to her house and I totally blew it. She was getting out of the car when I yelled "Wait, I have to tell you something!" This was followed by long moments of hesitation and poor attempts at saying words haha. Sallie said," Are you trying to ask me out?" I said," Yes, sort of." She said," Well let me tell you one thing though, I don't think I'm ready to have a boyfriend. I don't feel like I'd be a good girlfriend. I've never had one before." I took that as rejection (even though in hinds sight she didn't technically say she did not like me) and got her stuff out of the car when she said I was her best friend. I send her a text that explained how I had felt about her, what I had really meant to say in the car, and that I probably didn't measure up to the uber-popular guy she asked to go the dance with. She responds with:

"You definitely measure up to anyone! I'm just not in a position to date. I'm flattered though!! Haha, yea it must be nervewrecking as a guy to have to "be the one to ask." Well, for the record I had a great time: :) to be continued...haha"

The next morning, I get a call from the police. I thought it was a prank call when they said, "Sallie is missing." I had presumed it was a group of friends pranking me after Sallie probably told them what I told her. But, it turned out to NOT be a prank. The officer identified herself and put her mom on. Apparently she had been missing for several hours (didn't take her phone, car was gone, no note left). They said they looked through her phone and saw I was the last person she texted (grrreeaatt...) and wondered if I knew where she was. Of course I said no and was scared shitless all day. I got a text from her the next day saying that she had taken a roadtrip to Durham, NC (80 miles from where I live) to "think over some things." She ended up not coming to school for a week after that. Nobody could get in touch with her at all. It was SO weird. She finally comes back and talked to me occasionally for a couple of weeks. I was paranoid about it and thought it was because of what I had asked/told her. So I try to clear the air by asking her to join me on another one of my trips to Charlotte, NC (about 85 miles away from where we live). She was sort of less enthusiastic about it this time around and said she would ask her mom what she was doing that day. She didn't talk to me for a few days and didn't give me and indication if she was going or not. She walks into class one day as I was leaving. I soon get a text message from her saying her mom said she couldn't go. I'm like WTF? She couldn't have told me this when we were in THE SAME ROOM?? She sent it off when we were in the same room. I ask her why she could not have told me when we were in the same room, and she says she didn't want to embarrass me in front of my friends. I wasn't sure if that was a cop-out, but kind of took it at face value.

Now to the RECENT stuff haha. Sallie keeps staring at me in class and eavesdropping on my conversations with my friends and giving me looks about what I'm saying (good ones I guess). She's also started to laugh at pretty much anything I do. Lately, she's become friends with a girl who liked me, backed out, and now won't even talk to me. Sallie walks up to me one day, takes a random picture of me with her iPhone, and runs back to said girl mentioned in the last sentence and they start giggling. I then see her blowing on the phone's screen. I'm like WTF the whole time! Apparently, she had an app on her phone that lit a photo on fire (a simulation) if you blew on the screen. Gee, that's real nice...

From that point on, I've been ignoring her and not responding to anything she does. That picture thing pissed me off. She's looking at me on Friday and I said," What??" She said," You always look away every time I look at you."

Ugh...

If you took the time to read all of this, then I THANK YOU so much!!! :) I just don't know what to think anymore about all of this. I'm afraid I'm misinterpreting a lot of the things she's doing as liking me, when they could just be friend things that she does. So my questions to you are: Does she like me? If so, why can't she just tell me if she knew I liked her too?

Thanks again for any help you can provide!!!
    • Re: A Huge Mess That I Need Help With

Hi
      I dont think anyone can really tell you if she likes you but her.
      It sounds lke your really confused and Im sure anyone would be being put in that situation, I think the best thing to do would be to just try and get her alone for a little while and ust ask her what the hell is going on. explain that what shes been doing lately has really confused you and ust tell her to be straight up with you. Its a really hard thing to do to be so confrontational but in my opinion it really is the only way you can find out whats been going on.
      Hope you figure it all out soon :)
      Add me on Twitter: twitter.com/KellSam1990 :)
    • Re: A Huge Mess That I Need Help With

You should talk to her about what happened. Tell her that you've noticed she's been acting different lately, and that you're concerned. Maybe ask if anything happened the night she disappeared.

Until that's figured out, not much can be said about how she feels. You'll just have so stick with it and see what happens.

Good luck. =)

Support Leader,
      ~James
      Need help or just want to talk? PM me. :)
      -------------------------------------------------------
      "It's easy to be nice to people you like. But being nice to people you hate, that's a skill. Do it."