What do you think?

• What do you think?

I am currently in grade 11. Right now, the only math I'm taking is data management because I am really leaning towards the arts for university. However, I do really like business. The only problem is that I don't like math or science. I have gotten the business awards in every single course I've taken. My business skills are very strong whereas my pure math...isn't so strong because I don't enjoy it at all.

I am still not sure what I want to do in university or with my life, to be quite frank. I am currently trying to choose my grade twelve courses and debating on taking advanced functions JUST INCASE I want to apply to a business program at Ivey or Queen's. What are your thoughts? I generally have a high average - around 92-95% and have excellent extra curriculars.

I just don't know if I should risk having my average in grade twelve slapped in the face. I don't do too well in math but I'll need them both if I decide to go into business. I don't know what I want to get into; I keep changing my mind. Like I said before, I really love business but I dislike math very much. People keep telling me that I need to close some doors in order to open others - meaning that I really need to make this decision. I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

*By the way, I need two maths to get into business in university. I have data management on my schedule right now but I'm debating about adding advanced functions. It's harder than data is, I'll have to take two maths and I don't know if I'll do too well in advanced functions. I need a high average for next year. =/
    • Re: What do you think?

Queens and I assume all of the Ivys you will need both calc and Advanced functions to get into business. What I am doing is taking both maths in the summer; this is so that I can have 9 courses next year to take my best 6 from. This is your best way to keep your options open for a business or arts degree.

P.S. Data Management is basically useless.

Data management isn't useless if you're going into the social sciences like psychology, sociology, anthropology, philosophy, etc. However, the only business school in the country that requires calculus as a MUST is Queen's commerce. The only problem is: I suck in math, which is because I can't stand it. I don't want my average to get slapped in the face next year.=/

Sabrina wrote:

Data management isn't useless if you're going into the social sciences like psychology, sociology, anthropology, philosophy, etc. However, the only business school in the country that requires calculus as a MUST is Queen's commerce. The only problem is: I suck in math, which is because I can't stand it. I don't want my average to get slapped in the face next year.=/

Right, which is why you take more than 6 courses... so if you do crappy in the maths you don't have to calculate them in.

Im in a similar situation. Over here you need alot math to get into any good university classes. But I might be going to an arts school. But I would like to keep all options open. I know its so hard to pick classes.

I would probably talk to a guidance counsellor. I was actually talking with my mom and she said that if you graduate from highschool but later realize you need math you can just take that math class online somehow.

I dont know.

Goodluck!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sabrina wrote:

But that might hinder the success of my other courses. At least if I only take three courses each semester, I'll be able to focus only on those three instead of worrying about a fourth course.

I am saying take summer courses...

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

RiderzFan wrote:

Im in a similar situation. Over here you need alot math to get into any good university classes. But I might be going to an arts school. But I would like to keep all options open. I know its so hard to pick classes.

I would probably talk to a guidance counsellor. I was actually talking with my mom and she said that if you graduate from highschool but later realize you need math you can just take that math class online somehow.

I dont know.

Goodluck!

Ya, but that would mean waiting another year before university.

Andrellis wrote:

I am saying take summer courses...

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Ya, but that would mean waiting another year before university.

I have a full time job in the summer. I could possibly do one online but I don't know if it would be a good idea to take a core course in the summer.

Sabrina wrote:

I am currently trying to choose my grade twelve courses and debating on taking advanced functions JUST INCASE I want to apply to a business program at Ivey or Queen's. What are your thoughts?
      1 thing is for sure - I wouldn't recommend skipping a year of math in high school. That can easily scar you if you are forced to take a math course in college (are there any universities that have no math requirement whatsoever?) For example, at the University of Chicago, the lowest math class they offer is pre-calculus, so if you're not prepared to take that you're screwed. But if you go to any typical college, then yes, you can high high school algebra.

Sabrina wrote:

People keep telling me that I need to close some doors in order to open others
      I so puzzled. What kind of logic is this?

Sabrina wrote:

- meaning that I really need to make this decision. I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

*By the way, I need two maths to get into business in university. I have data management on my schedule right now but I'm debating about adding advanced functions. It's harder than data is, I'll have to take two maths and I don't know if I'll do too well in advanced functions.
      Is advanced functions before pre-calculus?

Sabrina wrote:

I need a high average for next year. =/

You already stated in an earlier thread that you'll get accepted into any university you apply with your ~3.83 or so.
      Nice guys talk because they have something to say; pick-up artists talk because they have to say something.

Frankly, the business world is more about interpersonal relation than any amount of math. I figure if you can scrape by to get what math you need for your degree, your leadership and management skills will carry you further than functions and statistics will.

If all else fails, find someone in your school that is good at math, and get him/her to help you*.

*Further indication that communication will win the day.
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs