Gossiping Friends.

• Gossiping Friends.

It's really getting old. I mean, me and my friend have been friends since 7th grade. But here recently it's like we gossip about everyone and I've never been the type to really get into the whole he said she said crap.

How do I avoid it without losing my friend? It's really getting old. :(
      "Look down at me and you see a fool; look up at me and you see a god; look straight at me and you see yourself." - Charles Manson
    • Re: Gossiping Friends.

Haha, you know what I do?
      When I'm with my friends, I don't like talking about
      other people either. So when they start, I just change
      the topic completely.

Example:
      Friend: "OMG Did you hear that so and so are going out?! Like EWW, YUCKK, BLAHHH!"
      Me: "HOLY SHIIIIT A PENCIL EATER ! GIVE ME BACK MY PENCIL!"
      Friend: "Wth? Your so weirdd!" *laughs*
      Me: "Yeahhhh... But your weirder!"

BAM! Hehe, change in subject :]

Hehehehh >:]
      [LEFT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/LEFT]
      [LEFT][CENTER][SIZE=1]"One good thing about music is [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=1] when it hits you, you feel no pain."[/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]-- Bob Marley [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [/LEFT]

I definitely know what you mean. You know what I like to do? If any of my friends start gossiping about other people, I leave the group and just hang out with other group of friends. I don't like gossip sometimes either, and I hate inserting myself in the problem, so I just leave; and by leaving - that just shows that the whole "gossip" crap isn't worth my time. Perhaps you should take yourself out and just do your own thing for a while. Talking to your friend is also a possibility. You can tell her that you don't like gossiping and you much rather not get caught up in this "he said she said" crap. Be honest with her and if she's a friend, she'll respect that.

But yes, I know what you mean.

Good luck!
      Support Leader,

armyforthebroken
      [CENTER]You bitches are beautiful. :hugs:[/CENTER]

I would definitely try talking to her. Explain to her that you don't like gossiping about other people. If she doesn't understand, give her an example. What if someone was gossiping about her? Would she like it? Ask her that if she doesn't understand.

Good luck. =)

Support Leader,
      ~James
      Need help or just want to talk? PM me. :)
      -------------------------------------------------------
      "It's easy to be nice to people you like. But being nice to people you hate, that's a skill. Do it."

Thanks for all the help. I might actually try the subject changing thing.

It just really annoys me anymore that everytime someone passes it's, "Omfg, she looks so fat today." or "You know she screwed so and so?"

:rolleyes:
      "Look down at me and you see a fool; look up at me and you see a god; look straight at me and you see yourself." - Charles Manson

DeadMemories wrote:

Thanks for all the help. I might actually try the subject changing thing.

It just really annoys me anymore that everytime someone passes it's, "Omfg, she looks so fat today." or "You know she screwed so and so?"

:rolleyes:

Gossiping friends can be really annoying. I recently went through a huge big thing with my group of friends, where I ended up choosing to not be as close with many of them because I couldn't deal with the gossip. The problem is that friends who gossip about others behind their backs when you're around may well likely be doing the same about you when you're not around. You have to just make a choice about whether this is the sort of person you want to be with, knowing that your choice of friends says a lot about you and will influence who you are. With my, my friends made me into a person I didn't like, and it took a long time for me to realize that.

That said, if you DO decide you want to keep working on the friendship then I can't stress the subject changing enough. It won't work right away, but after you KEEP doing it over and over, it'll slowly train them to just not talk about that stuff with you. (They might still talk about YOU, but you have to just be okay with that.) If they call you on changing the subject, just say lightly (in a non-accusatory way) that you don't really see the fun in gossiping, oh hey, did you see that show on Friday blah blah blah.

The important thing is to not apologize for not wanting to hear gossip. :) It's a good thing. You don't have to act superior, just don't ever feel like it's a failing on your part.

Lizz wrote:

Gossiping is a waste of time....and it hurts.... why do people have to be so mean to each other?

true, but it is a part of life. without gossips there are no trills. no trills no life. when i was a little younger i just can't enough of it especially when im with friends. life changes especially if your getting older. your life focuses on reality more than anything else.:)
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=1]Robots forever. Eek. Eek.[/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

The Jem wrote:

true, but it is a part of life. without gossips there are no trills. no trills no life. when i was a little younger i just can't enough of it especially when im with friends. life changes especially if your getting older. your life focuses on reality more than anything else.:)

There are plenty of ways to get thrills in life NOT at the expense of others.