Reparations for African Americans

• Re: Reparations for African Americans

Ken_ wrote:

Why should we pay African Americans for past events? I don't even see a reason too pay the Jewish community money, just because the Holocaust occurred. Yeah, you were slaves, that's over now, and what is money going too help you with? I'd say this is just another greedy plan too grab money from the Government. If anything you should be happy that it's over and there's a common peace, money is greed, it isn't going too make you "happier" you're just going too want more and more.

This.

The thing is even he wasn't a slave; his ancestors were. Why should we be paid when we haven't suffered?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Dresden wrote:

why should there be reparations?

His argument is in the first post.

The problem is, some legitimate points that people opposed to reparations make are made, often, by white supremacists. So, the fact that debating in opposition to this issue has a history of supremacists arguing in opposition, anybody who argues in opposition is automatically painted with the same brush. So, while many who argue in opposition do not have the intent to be racist, a few people who argue in opposition do.

The post was edited 2 times, last by artistic angles ().

Although more of a subtopic to the author's original point, I find it highly inappropriate to compare African slavery to the Holocaust.

Slavery was a part of many cultures for a long time, and this particular slave trade was started in Africa between Africans - it was not the idea of the Europeans to enslave the people, they simply took up the opportunity by purchasing slaves from other Africans (and maybe the Islamic people of the Middle east, I am a little unfamiliar as to if there were there...). It is therefore absurd to demand reparations from only the US government as many other nations including internal nations of Africa pursued the use of slaves.

But my main point. The Holocaust was a different event. The Jewish community is not a separate race, it is a cultural/religious viewpoint. Furthermore, the way it was executed is of the most concern. The Holocaust was meant to exterminate the Jewish community - the labour forced upon some of them was only a side endeavor to assist in the war effort and functionality of the camps. The Nazi regime used modern factory-style methods to methodically exterminate the inmates (Jews as well as other minorities) which in itself demonstrates a key difference in terms of how humans can be declassified and treated as objects. Why other countries such as the US should pay reparations? - the Allies knew about the deathcamps, and were able to fly planes over them to take pictures. They knew perfectly well of Hitler's intent to remove the Jewish community before the war even started, yet there was no effort made to bomb the concentration camps or to even attack the railway lines that lead the Jews to the camps. Instead they were allowed to operate until the final days of the war. In fact, most of the damage done to the camps was done by the Nazis themselves in an attempt to remove the evidence of their crimes. It is the fact that the Allies did not try to intervene that they are in part morally linked to paying reparations.

we let blacks loose and they are killing,raping and robbing the people so why should we give them reparations?
      They make up a small amount of America YET they make up most of the prison population...
      They complain and complain about ''white supremacists'' though they neglect to mention black supremacists

So Why reparations?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dresden ().

Dresden wrote:

we let blacks loose and they are killing,raping and robbing the people so why should we give them reparations?
      They make up a small amount of America YET they make up most of the prison population...
      They complain and complain about ''white supremacists'' though they neglect to mention black supremacists

So Why reparations?

No wonder you have so many negreps.
      [CENTER].::ANIME is DOPAMINE to me::.

[/CENTER]

Dresden wrote:

Yes, I agree with you there. We most look at both sides of the spectrum. We can not just punish white supremacists and condone black supremacists, that is just hypocrisy. A "No Tolerance Policy for Racists of all Races," would be the best option.

The post was edited 1 time, last by artistic angles ().

Dresden wrote:

Who is this ''BLACK POWER'' general?

It's alright for '' black power'' but not alright for ''white power''

I know I'm racist so why are you all TELLING me I'm racist?

History remembers the atrocities Hitler and other white supremacists have done, yet we forget what black supremacists have done. Why? It's either a) because the atrocities commited by white supremacists outweigh those of the blacks or b) you guys were just plain unlucky.

I'd say a little column a, little column b.
      [CENTER].::ANIME is DOPAMINE to me::.

[/CENTER]