I can't communicate with my parents well.

• I can't communicate with my parents well.

My parents immigrated here with me when I was one. I'm not good in their language, and vice versa.

When an argument comes up, I have to talk in their language, and I make a fool out of myself and I can never get my point across.
      Same with jokes. When my brother and I crack jokes, they just stare blankly at me.

My mom always tells me our family is broken, and no one talks to each other. No kidding? We can't even understand each other!

I just wanted to get that out. Any thoughts?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Re: I can't communicate with my parents well.

Im just wondering what language it is. Also, im surprised you grew up with them and you did not learn their language. Im happy to hear that you have a brother. Does he face the same problems as you with your parent's?

Have you tried getting another family member, maybe an aunt or cousin who speaks both languages to come by often and help settle theese disputes maybe?

i'm wondering too...what language is it? You should really learn how to communicate with your parents better...so practice the language often..with them, your other family etc...only talk in that language

not sure why your mom would classify that as your family being broken...maybe you misunderstood? :p

Serene Skye wrote:

My parents immigrated here with me when I was one. I'm not good in their language, and vice versa.

When an argument comes up, I have to talk in their language, and I make a fool out of myself and I can never get my point across.
      Same with jokes. When my brother and I crack jokes, they just stare blankly at me.

My mom always tells me our family is broken, and no one talks to each other. No kidding? We can't even understand each other!

I just wanted to get that out. Any thoughts?

We're a lot alike, you and I. My parents think I'm losing touch with my "culture and heritage". As much as I would like to learn my language, I find that impossible to learn. My dad can't even speak correct English without me correcting him! Anyways, I think by being a family though, it's all about bonding.
      [CENTER]You bitches are beautiful. :hugs:[/CENTER]