For the greater good

• For the greater good

I have thought about this for a very long time now...about sacrifice for the greater good, also a lot of pride...honour....fight for country....fight for a purpose.

Now i don't know how to express what i have in my mind. But I'll do my best. First.....sacrifice for the greater good.

My feelings of this is that its every humans duty to do, then i mean sacrifice yourself for someone else... I mean...how would you feel if you didnt do it, you would feel guilty of another humans life, have that in your mind the rest for your life.
      The greater good is also something else...something you love...it can be a person...but it also can be your country. My feelings about that is if you love your country you should be ready to sacrifice you for your country. I would be ready to pick up arms, protect Sweden against any enemy that threatens my country. I would protect it until we won...or until my death. That is what Im thinking...but would I in times like that take enough courage and fight the enemy, the answer i want is Yes....but that we never know unless someone attack us and i have to do it.
      And then we of course have the World War II... people volounteered to save "Fort Europe" from the hands of Hitler and his army. Why did they do it, money; probably not...getting famous; No.....Empathy....Yes.
      I feel that empathy is one of our best gift we have...caring for other people and their wealthiness. But now its almost gone from this world. Of course ordinary people like us...we still have it...But worldleaders have lost it...their only desire is power...power to push a button or make an order to someone to kill them for them.
      Soldiers...why do they fight sometimes in other countries and its not even their business. An example is the fighting in Somalia 1994... The movie "Black Hawk Down" shows the reality of some U.S soldiers...fighting in another country for something they maybe not even understand. But what made those fellow soldiers fight on...they had no way out...but Im almost sure they fough for each other... the man next to him, would they sacrifice them selves for each other. That i cannot answer!

I don't really know why..but it feels like im borned in the wrong time....I feel that my place would be next to the brave paratroopers that jumped far in enemy held land 1944. They fought for each other..empathy....not pride nor money.

Now i think most of this is bullshit...it isnt what i was thinking the other day...but..... The threads in the Emma Section...those about take a bullet for Emma and so on. I would take a bullet for...not because she is Emma...she is a human and it is my duty to save her. I would sacrifice myself for almost anyone.

I dont want this thread to be about saying it was wrong for U.S troops and kill militia in Somalia...They only did their duty.

/Lancelot
    • For the greater good

-I think this is something you have to think hard about before you even talk to someone about it.
      It is a scary thought really, giving youre life up for someone/something and i doubt everyone here will do it when they in that case faces it. I would only give my life if i really believe in the cause.
      Look at the suicide bombers, i don't think that they have really thought about what they were doing, and that they maybe felt pushed into doing it.
    • Re: For the greater good

backalleyabortions wrote:

You're forgetting those of us who are misanthropic.

It's been a while since I came across that term. I believe in sacrifices and honor and I know that most people out there cares mostly only about themselves and theirs. But it does not deter me from following my beliefs and principles. What I can't understand is what makes a man detest humanity, is life too cruel on them?

When the time comes and if EVER comes, i would not force myself to save someones life. But it is NOT our or your job to take a bullet for someone.. well unless you absolutly have no question about it and you love them dearly.
      BUT. God didn't create us for a target. We can't save everyone we love or don't love even. Life goes on. And we have to deal with death either we like it or not. That's my opinion..

in the words of bryan adams

Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
      I can't help it there's nothin' I want more
      I would fight for you - I'd lie for you
      Walk the wire for you - Ya I'd die for you

so in other words if there is sum1 or thing important to you a person would porbably sacrifice themselves inorder to sustain this, or at least a true person would...or that is at least wat my opinion is

Lancelot wrote:

My feelings of this is that its every humans duty to do, then i mean sacrifice yourself for someone else... I mean...how would you feel if you didnt do it, you would feel guilty of another humans life, have that in your mind the rest for your life.
      The greater good is also something else...something you love...it can be a person...but it also can be your country. My feelings about that is if you love your country you should be ready to sacrifice you for your country.

Whoa... I completely disagree. My philosophy is nearly the opposite of yours. But it leads to somewhat the same results. Let me explain... (sorry, this will be a little long, but I get fired up on this subject...)

I believe in selfishness, egoism, mutual aid, and freedom from duty, whereas it seems that you believe in selflessness, altruism, mutual sacrifice, and attachment to duty. But strangely enough I agree that compassion is very important. I am a compassionate person.

But there's an extremely simple reason. I enjoy being useful to people. I enjoy living and loving and helping others. As for the misanthropes, they can be misanthropic. Aiding others is good, but for selfish reasons. Yes, there are friends I would die for, but only because I would experience unbearable guilt if I let them die.

It simply makes no logical sense to do something for unselfish reasons. Human beings are not cut out to be unselfish--we are psychologically self-centered whether we like it or not and denying it leads to disaster. Duty, too, is artificial and I think leads to a bad life. Do what you think best--not what is written in the Bible, dictated by others, or even written in your heart.

Phew.

Lancelot wrote:

I would sacrifice myself for almost anyone.Lancelot

I think this is wrong, how could you sacrifice yourself for someone you don't know, when you could be helping many others? I beleive in sacrifice, but not for my country. US troops killed thousands of civilians Iraki, and they didn't do it for empathy! They did it because they were soldiers, and they were following orders! There president ordered them, and it was that, or prison! I would sacrifice myself for someone I love, but I would consider the risks before I do!!! There is a difference in taking ONE bullet, and taking twenty.

ukbmxboy wrote:

Sunfire1100! Have you ever visited Iraki? The civilians are brainwashed muders who belive that they are the supreme race....they are the nazi all over again

Be careful using "they." Not all Iraqis are brainwashed murderers. And several Americans are.

sunfire1100, I agree with you in general but I'm not sure about your example. U. S. soldiers in Iraq are risking their lives but not outright sacrificing themselves. But you're right--it's easy to say that you would sacrifice yourself for almost anyone--and hard or stupid to do. I would nearly never sacrifice my own life for one other person's. I'm inclined to think *my* life is more valuable.
      And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
      -Walt Whitman