MMA for fitness

• MMA for fitness

I'm really interested in taking up Muay Thai, BJJ, or going to an MMA class or something of that nature. I've read the training regimes are very vigourous and would improve my fitness a lot as I'm not a highly active person. I also wanna go for the self defense side of things.

Has anyone had any experience with this sorta thing and do you think it'd be good to lose weight and get fit? :)
    • Re: MMA for fitness

If you eat healthy and go to the gym regularly, Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are great for getting in good shape. If you don't, you may learn something, but find it frustrating more than anything. It's really fun, I'll tell you that, but it's not for everybody, just like many say for high school wrestling, though I have no experience with that. I've been training BJJ since February '08 and I've done a little stand up here and there. BJJ is really physical though, if you don't want to be beaten and bruised and sore, don't do it. But if you can handle that, you'll love it. Just depends on the person tbh. But it'll get you in shape if you stick with it.

^ Totally agree with him.

I took up Muay Thai around summer last year and have never regretted it. Yeah sure it hurts a lot, really vigorous training, the occasional verbal abuse from my coach in training and some other things. But believe it or not those things are fun for me and a lot of other people. It's a challenge and it tests you, to see what you're capable of and how far you can go.

They also say when you take up Muay Thai or any martial art that is equivalent, you'd be in the best shape of you're life. Well it also depends if the one who is teaching you is good because I've had experience with Muay Thai classes lasting only 30 minutes and thats not good. Now my training is 2-3 hours from 6am to 8 or 9am then again in the afternoon which is from 5pm to 8 or 9pm.
      [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="Red"]Cabs.[/COLOR][/FONT]

MMA training is definitely intense, and besides learning some great self-defense techniques there is no doubt your physical strength will increase and your weight will drop granted you are disciplined enough. As already mentioned, it's not for everybody. If you believe that you can keep up with what they do and dedicate a portion of your life to training then go for it. You'll see great results. But if you can't, then you wont get far. It all depends on what kind of person you are and your determination. The training itself is great for conditioning.

It depends if you DEDICATE yourself to it. If you give it your all and throw in some extra training by yourself, you will get into amazing shape. I am very much thinking about going into MMA after new years. Before that I'm going to bulk up at the gym for 4 months.
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]...---...[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Chivalry isn't dead. It's just being a really good ninja.[/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]...---...[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Great idea, unless you are just learning such things. If you have the notion that if you learn UFC fighting, you will lose weight, you are wrong. UFC is a series of defensive maneuvers. You will only really get a work out if you practice the combat or if you learn hand to hand combat. I box, gets heart rate up and is the actual fighting part of MMA, vs learning take downs.
      2 Months. 50 + Pounds. Learned to box. Run's 12 miles a day. Read 3 self help books. All for under $500. A new me? Worth it.

=I only practice Shotokan Karate. It does work up a bit of a sweat, but I definately would not substitute cardiovascular training (running/rowing/cycling) and weight lifting/training for martial arts.

Martial arts is good for your health though, it's made me a lot more flexible and balanced. Each form of exercise has its own effects on the body.. just remember if you want to build muscle, you'll have to lift weights too. And if you want to burn fat, you should do CV training aswell.
      [CENTER][CENTER]Taken: Shibuya, Toto-Super Space.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      "o-shaberi Benki-kun" - "Talkative convenience container"
      Only the Japanese would give a personality to a toilet.
      [/CENTER]
      [/CENTER]