Questions for cutters...

• Questions for cutters...

hey, so... i've been cutting for a few years and i'm trying to quit but i still have some pretty bad scars. up until now i haven't had anyone who care enough to notice the scars but now i do and it's almost summer and he's started to get suspicious about the whole "never wear things that show my arms" thing. so i was wondering if anyone out there had any good ways to hide scars? the main ones i'm worried about are still really raised and wide and dark even though i last cut in march... so if no one knows any really good ways of hiding them, how long do u think they'll take to fade a bit more?
      [SIZE=2]We are the hollow men[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]We are the stuffed men[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Leaning together[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Headpiece filled with straw. [/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=1]~T.S. Elliot - The Hollow Men[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    • Re: Questions for cutters...

hi, I'm glad u r trying to quit cutting and I wish u the best. I'm trying to quit too so I know how hard it can be.

As for hiding the scars, are they all the way up ur arm or more concentrated in one area? If they are more around the forearm/wrist/hand area, you cud wear arm warmers and prolly avoid a lot of questions (depending on ur normal style). Or, maybe a bunch of jellies or chunky bracelets could hide some scars. If they r more around the upper arm and shoulder, try wearing 3/4 sleeve shirts or oxford shirts with the sleeves rolled up to about where the scars start. If you must leave them uncovered, maybe use some concealer/costume makeup (which is thicker).

I don't really know how long it takes them to fade but, I have a scar from about march that is pretty faded, only a slight discoloration on the skin. Maybe put some bio oil or mederma on the cuts to help them fade, but I really have no clue.

Hope I helped!
      ~*~
      Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Musicaddicted ().

Hi :)
      Same as Musicaddicted, ever credit to ya
      for trying to stop :) You have my respect.
      Maybe you could buy some makeup
      foundation? If you can find a shade that
      matches your skin, you may be able to
      hide the cuts, and the raised ones may
      pass off as being veins if they still show?
      I'm not sure though - I haven't cut in ages.
      Hope I helped :)

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

Added on - I have no idea if it's actually called foundation. Just...yeah, some kinda makeup lol. Not my fault, I'm not a woman X(
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]My mind turns to metal, its gears are turning,[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]And my sanity withers and dies.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]This world all around me, it's bitter and twisted;[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]Reality, madness or lies?[/SIZE][/LEFT]

Hi=]
      It's awesome that you're trying to quit. I do to.
      And i'm in the exact situation as you. I always wear jackets to hide my scars.
      i've tried alot of ways to hide my scars using make up, and unfortunately it didn't help. I believe it takes several years for scars to fade away. I have my name scarred on my arm for 3 years now...and it's still pretty visible.
      I think the best thing u can do is tell the truth, and tell everyone who's interested, that you're cutting. Everyone has a past. And if a person accepts it, he must really care about you. And at the end, when you tell your story, you see who's really there for you. Don't be ashamed of what you've done-people do things that are alot worse=]

thanx everyone for the help and support! i'll have a go at trying those creams, but it seems the best thing is to keep doing the long sleeve thing... i've tried pretty much everything else. i guess i'll just have to hope no one notices the scars at prom and after that i should be fine...
      and alexa: i'll tell him... just not yet. :S i'm pretty sure he'd actually stand by me, but i don't want him to think less of me because of it.
      [SIZE=2]We are the hollow men[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]We are the stuffed men[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Leaning together[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Headpiece filled with straw. [/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=1]~T.S. Elliot - The Hollow Men[/SIZE][/SIZE]

look when you are around him you shouldnt be so ashamed or try to hide them..yes sometimes we dont need the attention and awkward look from people but dont let it get you down,ive learnt to deal with the remains of my pain on my skin, its reality and people wont question you about it...
      at some stage he will notice, and he will ask you to stop cause it dosent make him happy so its good you working on your change of habits..at first it will be uncomfortable for you and possibly him but at the end he will see how much you trying to stop and how you have taken that step by opening up to him in that way..this doesnt need any words or explanations that will most probably come later wen you both comfortable and able to share your experiances..

let me know what you think and how its going..ayt

Makeup helps a little. I would suggest arm accesories and longish but not too long sleeves. Just enough as said before.

I found that my scars took ages to heal but I think you become so self concious about hiding them that even when they are hardly noticeable you can really see them.

If you found someone you trust you should talk to them- I did and it helped so much. He's the truest friend I've ever had and you can't believe how good it is not to be judged for it. I think you can underestimate some people's ability for compassion when you're used to people hating you for cutting