Buying a Laptop

• Buying a Laptop

After having countless problems with the laptop I now have I decided to buy a new one. :p I've done some searching online and came up with this laptop. I'm not the most intelligent person when it comes to computers, but I think this one may be okay. I wanted something small, and it being around 12in is nice. It has a lot of memory, which is something this laptop doesn't have and often causes problems.

My concerns are everything aside from memory and size. I'm not sure how good the graphics card is. I recently bought sims 3 and it can not run well on my laptop and can't run on my desktop at all. I would like to get a laptop that can support it. (Requirements for the game under laptop specs.)

Enjoy high-definition playback with a 12.1" diagonal HP BrightView LED display. Exquisitely thin and fully loaded with AMD Athlon Neo Processor for Ultrathin Notebooks, 4GB system memory, 500GB Hard Drive, and 512 dedicated graphics memory provides the performance and connectivity you expect in a laptop. Chat online with the HP Webcam and integrated microphone. HP Pavilion dv2-1039wm Entertainment Notebook is exquisitely thin but fully loaded with performance and connectivity features. This lustrous-looking, espresso black laptop is ready to help you do everything in style with the thin and elegant design less than 1" thick and less than 4lbs.

Price - $798.00
      12.1" Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widscreen Display (1280 x 800)

AMD Athlon Neo Processor for Ultrathin Notebooks MV-40

4GB DDR2 System Memory

500GB 5400rpm SATA hard drive

External LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD burner lets you create DVDs and CDs with custom labels etched on the LightScribe enabled discs

HP Webcam with integrated microphone make face-to-face chat from anywhere easy

ATI Mobility Radeon HD Premium Graphics 3410 with M82-SE LP with up to 2302MB total graphics memory with 512 MB dedicated

Integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Connector) + Wireless WiFi LAN 802.11a/b/g/n

5-in-1 Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

Extra protection from data loss with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

External LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD burner lets you create DVDs and CDs with custom labels etched on the LightScribe enabled discs

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack Makes your computing experience more efficient, more secure and more fun. To learn more about the different versions of Microsoft Vista, click here.
      * 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
      * 1 GB RAM
      * At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
      * 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
      FOR WINDOWS VISTA
      * Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
      * 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
      * 1.5 GB RAM
      * At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
      * 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
      For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
      * Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA X3000 or above.
      * 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
      * 0.5 GB additional RAM
      SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS
      NVIDIA GeForce series
      FX 5900, FX 5950
      6200, 6500, 6600, 6800,
      7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
      8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
      9600, 9800, GTX 260, GTX 280
      ATI Radeon™ series
      9500, 9600, 9800
      X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
      X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
      2400, 2600, 2900
      3450, 3650, 3850, 3870,
      4850, 4870
      Intel® Extreme Graphics
      GMA X3x00 series

Will the laptop support it and am I making a good purchase? :)
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year! I'm so sick of watching while the minutes pass
      as I go nowhere, and this is my reaction to everything I fear. Cause I've been going crazy, I don't wanna waste another minute here.
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: Buying a Laptop

Just by reading through your laptop specs, I personally believe it will run the game smoothly. However I can't vouch that for the CPU and Graphics. I've never had AMD, I can check it up but my system is having a tantrum at the moment, as for the graphics card, although its not mentioned it doesn't mean it won't work. Chances are, the game will work greatly. I've finally seen a system with 4GB RAM and a x64 OS... Most I've seen are only x86 -.-"

But I think its a great system; I just don't like laptops.

Woah >_>"
      I just checked the CPU; its awful. I don't think the CPU will support the game.

Blah, so that laptop is a no go. o.- What kind of CPU should I start looking for? :p
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year! I'm so sick of watching while the minutes pass
      as I go nowhere, and this is my reaction to everything I fear. Cause I've been going crazy, I don't wanna waste another minute here.
      [/CENTER]

Sony VAIO seem to be way over priced for their power. I've already spoken to her and helped her find a suitable machine. I thankfully converted her to Desktops because I gave her a nice comparison of a laptop and Desktop power, and the Laptops were much more expensive for their lame power, where as I found a fully customisable Desktop which is around my system specs but a tad bit higher for only about $700 where as a reasonable Laptop with the same or simialr specs is a good $1000+

If you want to game on a Laptop take a look at Rock > Here but there not cheep ;)
      [LEFT][SIZE=1]Main Rig - Asus P5N-T Deluxe nForce 780i , Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 , OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8000C5 1000MHz ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth Edition , ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2048MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI, W/D Raptors X 150GB 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, X3 (2 in RAID 0 - 1 none RAID), Dual Boot XP Pro SP3 / Just Waiting[/SIZE][/LEFT]