Smoking & your bitching.

• Smoking & your bitching.

Don't like my second hand smoke? Take those legs of yours and walk a block away from me, but don't bitch about it then complain to your government about it either.

Cigarette Packs Go Graphic as FDA Gets Tobacco Oversight

Posted by: Nanette Byrnes on June 12
      Congress has just given the Food & Drug Administration oversight over the Tobacco Industry, but though one big cigarette maker, Altria, supported the move generally, new rules on warning labels on packs aren’t sitting so well.
      The bill, which is expected to be signed into law quickly by President Obama, will put a new clamp on many elements of the business, from regulating health claims to empowering the FDA to require changes in ingredients if they deem them necessary.
      But one of the more contentious parts of the new law may be its provision for starker warning labels. Labeling on packs was left up to the FDA to decide in earlier versions of the bill, but in the final version changes were mandated. David Sylvia, a spokesman for Altria’s Philip Morris USA business argues labeling would be better handled by a regulator than through legislation. A regulator could study the issue scientifically and render a decision on that basis, says Sylvia. As things stand “we don’t know if it’s more effective communication or not,” he says.
      Cigarette makers concern over packaging makes sense. As restrictions on conventional tobacco marketing have increased, the packs have become more and more valuable unfettered advertising space. Tobacco companies increasingly rely on packaging as one of their last best methods of image building. Packs are both a way to create a presence in stores and to communicate what the brand is about.
      According to a study of tobacco company documents made public through litigation, the industry’s own market testing results “indicate that such imagery is so strong as to influence smoker’s taste ratings of the same cigarettes when packaged differently.” The study found tobacco companies carried out systematic and extensive research to ensure that cigarette packaging appeals to selected target groups, including young adults and women.
      The bill that passed today directly requires bold health warnings on both sides of a pack of cigarettes, a move countries like Brazil, Australia, Thailand and Singapore pioneered. In those countries stomach-turning photos of premature babies, oral cancers, tracheotomies and children on ventilators due to second hand smoke, cover the side of a pack of smokes.
      Initially text-only, the US version would cover the top half of the packs, front and back. But within two years, the FDA would have to come up with similar “regulations that require color graphic labels depicting the negative health consequences of smoking.”
      In England there has been discussion in government of something more radical, and even more distressing to the industry: moving to all-white packages. The hope: to remove the mystique brands like Marlboro have built in part through their distinctive look. The industry including Philip Morris International, Marlboro’s maker outside the US, is working hard to fight that prospect.
      Though Philip Morris says the warnings are not scientifically proven effective, in May the World Health Organization urged all governments to use pictorial warnings “showing the sickness and suffering caused by tobacco use.” The WHO cited studies of the effect of such warnings in Brazil, Canada, Singapore and Thailand that found these images motivate users to quit, and prevent others from taking up the habit.

Cigarette Packs Go Graphic as FDA Gets Tobacco Oversight - BusinessWeek
    • Re: Smoking & your bitching.

I hate smoking with a passion. My mom buys cigarettes instead of food so we starve. She has chronic lung disease and doesn't even care. I have to watch my whole immediate family (they all smoke except me) get sick. They don't care about themselves and aren't even courteous enough to step outside to smoke.
      My mom has been smoking for 39 years. With all that money spent on cigarettes, she could've bought a house or a nice car.
      [LEFT]These are hard times for dreamers.[/LEFT]

DareToDream wrote:

I hate smoking with a passion. My mom buys cigarettes instead of food so we starve. She has chronic lung disease and doesn't even care. I have to watch my whole immediate family (they all smoke except me) get sick. They don't care about themselves and aren't even courteous enough to step outside to smoke.
      My mom has been smoking for 39 years. With all that money spent on cigarettes, she could've bought a house or a nice car.

That's horrible, I'd never sacrifice food for a smoke especially if that food was meant for family.

smoking is disgusting. my parents each smoke a pack a day, and they smoke it in the house. they agreed to quit smoking, and they did for about 5 months, then secretly started smoking again. behind our backs. it was pathetic. they aren't strong enough to just quit. and i know, "nicotine is an addiction" "it's so hard to stop" if you knew these things before, why the hell did you even start? and now, i'm seeing more and more kids smoke. kids as young as 8 and 9. it's sad really. i wish smoking and cigarettes could be illegal, but it would never pass. i threw a pack of cigarettes away once, and my parents flipped out on me, and actually dug through the trash to get it back out. thats really pathetic.
      We sing the Death Song kids
      Because we've got no future...
      And we want to be just like you...

A lot of people in my life smoke, and all of them have tried and failed to quit at least once. The only promises my dad has ever broken are his promises to stop smoking.

These kinds of people aren't weak. They're addicted. I'm not justifying their original mistake of starting smoking. I'm just saying that the concept of "quitting" is a lot more difficult than nonsmokers realize.
      [SIZE=2]Your Favorite Lovable Mascot: ZAPFOX! :poke:[/SIZE]
      [CENTER]Stop Military Rape!
      [/CENTER]

Don't like my second hand smoke? Take those legs of yours and walk a block away from me, but don't bitch about it then complain to your government about it either.

Actually anyone should be able to go anywhere in public without having to worry about second hand smoke and the health concerns that go with it. If it's bothering someone else, you're the one who needs to move.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

iamivabe1992 wrote:

and i know, "nicotine is an addiction" "it's so hard to stop" if you knew these things before, why the hell did you even start?

It's honestly not that hard to quit. I went cold turkey for 3 years, just like that. No gum, no patches, I just stopped.

As for secondhand smoke, I think people exaggerate sometimes. I'll be smoking in the car with the window down, and people act like we're hotboxing and I'm blowing smoke in their face. That said though, I don't usually smoke in public. I always put it out if someone complains, and if they don't want the smell in their house I'll step outside.

The only time it bothers me, is when people are trying to be self-righteous acting like they care about their health, when they weigh 300 pounds and chug alcohol every weekend...
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]