Issues with Race?

• Issues with Race?

First off I am in no way racist and Im hoping that you understand that.. this is an ethical discussion and I really hope it doesn't come across as being racist in anyway... but basically I was talking to one of my friends earlier about world of warcraft, I was thinking about joining, kinda like a summer project... anyway You can have guilds in it, thats just groups that players set up to work together and share items and stuff, help each other and make friends.. I was asked was there any groups set up ya know for religion or gay people or anything like that.. She said that she thinks so but shes not sure, anyway she said something that really got me thinking, its perfectly acceptable to have black social groups and even groups in games like that which are for black people. Yet a group for white people or anything similar in any forum or anything like that would be immediately branded as racist and compared to the KKK, even on tv shows I see black characters who have lines like "Its a black thing, white people don't understand". Should gay people, have similar lines? should people of different religions? Should people with dwarfism? In college I know people from japan, china, africa, spain, america etc and this kinda thing only seems to be prominant with black people.

Now Ive always being of the view that people are people regardless of race and gender (beliefs, is another issue I don't want to discuss here) But most people have hardship in their life, there was people in my school who had no friends because they were branded as gay or a goth or whatever, and had to put up with constant abuse obviously Im not comparing this to life in war ravaged countries or anything like that, this is purely a discussion of culture in the economically developed world,

I grew up in a rural community any foreign people were always regarded more or less the same as anyone from the area, they certainly didn't put up with any abuse

But to get back to the point is there really such a thing as a 'black thing'? If there is then logically it should be perfectly acceptable for their to be a 'white thing'? are black people racist toward white people? and if so why is it accepted? Infact is this subject taboo? and am I going to be getting warnings or even banned for even wanting to discuss this, as mature adults hopefully, in a neutral environment?
      [CENTER]:DCan't wait for SGU:D
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Puddle-Jumper ().

• Re: Issues with Race?

Their are a lot more examples of this than just WoW. Ever heard of BET? Thats Black Entertainment Television. Can you imagine if I made a channel for white people? There would be outrage. Also the MOBO awards. Thats Music of Black Origin. It's is primarily black and only people who are influenced by black music are allowed to win awards... They only let white people win occasionally just so they don't look racist. I perosnanlly think it would be racist to make a MOWO. Thats why Black people should see it is racist to have a MOBO.

All it does is divide by race. All that ever does is cause problems. It's not like black people are disadvantaged in the media today anyway.

I think there is such thing as a 'black thing', because there is such a thing as black culture, much as there is white culture, though less defined. Whilst their is a certain innocence behind what the MOBOs seek to do, which is to recognise music that had black origin, (which, if you go far back enough, extends to just about all of popular music, I might add) they'd ultimately lead to division, and of course, as Joe's said, MOWOs would get unfairly slated in regards to the tolerance of the MOBOs.

Ultimately black societies or black events have an inherent degree of division and play into the hands of extremists such as the BNP.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

Well, it is stupid saying if I had a white thing bla bla bla..

The reason for these black channels, society's etc. is because black people are a minority. If white people were the minority, I'm pretty sure there would not be a major deal if there was a white comedy channel. ]

In my honest opinion, positive segregation, such as a black policeman guild is rather racist and pointless. However, I do understand why people do it, but it is just further separating people in society and that should not happen.

I completely agree with you.
      I don't understand why the MOBO's aren't branded racist, its like white people feel guilty that their ancestors treated black people as slaves.
      It was horrible and all that but I just wish people would get over it. It was 500 years ago.

But to answer your question, yes I do think black people are racist against white people.
      They can call us white but we can't call them black.
      I constantly hear in shows these days that black people say "That white guy, you are white" etc.
      Sometimes when you call a black person black they go "Lay off man" its like they are ashamed of being called black. Its a frickin' fact that they are black.

My friend once fell asleep on the bus and this black girl came and sat next to him & bumped into him accidently.
      He then said; "Fu*k off, I'm sleeping"
      And she screamed: "YOU RACIST" and slapped him.

He later overheard her talking to her friends saying it'd be a good idea to make white people into slaves.. for a change.

People today overuse the word racist, sometimes I don't think that people don't even understand what it means.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Komine ().

ya i completely agree, with this subject, yet the worst part is, i dont even think in modern culture that there is rascism towards black people, yet we still feel well i do anyway like we are being rascist for even discussing this issue!!! like in my opinion black people are more rascist than any person, because they exclude white people from things already mention like the MOBO's and BET, wer all the same colour on the inside, yet because of the treatment of the black slaves and injustice towards black people which is still felt down in south africa even today, they feel the need for revenge as it were in america especially!! american tv mainly black entertainment use rascism as a mere pun to laugh at white people!! and because they are considered to be on the frontfoot of modern culture as it were white people act like black people!!!!! i cant see why whtie people can be considered rascist if they call black people black, it is what they are, just like we are white, latinos are latinos, chinese are chinese etc!!!!!!! i think it all comes down to the context in which its used in, i dont feel that white people have any sort of malice in calling black people black, but yet black people are very hurtful when they call us white!!!!!!!

like rascism to me doesnt really make sense, why were black people have centuries of oppression just because of the colour of their skin??? i mean we are all descendants of black people, the earlies human remains are from africa!!!!!! hope fully one day we all can live in a world free of rascism, and prejudice!!!!!

I have no problems with different races at all.

I become annoyed with people who push in front of me or stand in groups in the middle of a walk way, and alot of the time these people happen to be either Muslim or of Asian or Indian decent (who seem to have recently just moved here [Australia]).

Now, I'm not saying that "alot of the time it is Asians, Muslims or Indians," but from my point-of-view and as far as I've been involved it has been.

If it were anybody else, I'd be just as annoyed with them, because they should understand our customs and way of life, and that it is rude to push in front of people, cut them off or stand in a group chatting carelessly amongst themselves in the middle of a walk way.

However, I am no way saying that ALL Muslims, Asians, Indians etc. have no manners and on occassion are completely rude. I'm just stating from where I stand, from what I've experienced and my point-of-view. And as I've already mentioned, it seems they are completely new to my country.
      I'm sure if I went to India, not knowing their special customs, and I did something against them, that I would be seen as completely rude, and I respect that.

So basically you could take this as a simple, unoffensive generalisation, or take it the other way and perceive as utterly insulting.
      I'm sorry if you do perceive it this way, because I really meant no harm in what I've said.

DamnImGood wrote:

In North America they are. Perhaps not in physical numbers, but in influence and power.

I'm pretty sure African-Americans make up little of the actual population, at least the part that is under census, but not sure.

Look, all people are created equal, but stereotypes are around for a reason. It's because they are seen so often. People need to realize that there is a lot of hurt and pain with certain things that have happened and do happen in regards to race, so sensitivity must be taken. Treat each person as an individual, but there is nothing wrong with stereotypes. Again, as long as you treat everyone as your equal and with a clean slate when you meet them. It's hard because we are all human and we have existing social expectations, but a functioning member of society will do their best to give everything there chance at a first impression as an individual.

Racism is, really, probably the most ignorant thing ever, though. Honestly, nobody is lesser than anybody else on that grand of a scale.

The real problem is that things havent really changed... Sure most people worldwide have cut down on saying the N word, and using other derogatory names, but most peoples action towards different races hasnt changed. Ever heard of the phrase "Actions speak louder than words"? Some people are still treating us like they're better than us, like their on a higher level. I can give you some examples and you'll can answer why things happen this way.

Imagine a white person woman/man doesnt matter. Is in an elevator alone the elevator stops and its not their floor but 3/4 black men board the elevator. Why does that white individual now feel threatened. They may show that they feel uncomfortable by crossing their arms or something. Why would they need to be thinkin to themselves, "boy I hope I'll be alright with these guys in here with me". I can almost GUARENTEE if those 3/4 men that bordered the elevator were of his white colour, he would have felt safe, and would not even think about anything bad happennin to him. This type of prejudgemental behaviour happens all of the time in different scenarios (stores, streets,trains) and we will not move forward until we can get past things like that.

Also its not entirely other races faults. some members of the coloured race can jus be ignant and can jus do some stupid shit. And I believe that music artist NYOIL said it best in his song "Ya'll Should all get lynched" Cuz they way some of us act, even to our own kind needs to change.

I dont agree with the BET thing either but if you look at it this way, we are never properly reconized are really excepted in certain places . So I guess I can see both ways on this BET thing and other pro black stuff. Not other pro black, other races too. Cuz if you think about it like this, lets say you live in caribbean and you want to find out about to the weather/news there. You dont go on the Weather Channel or CNN because they will mainly show things about states in the US and they will minor on stuff outside of the states. So if you wanna find out the news/weather you would go to your local news/weather channel, and it would major on your country and minor on an outside country... see what I'm gettin at? The relation to that and the BET is well... The US is mostly inhabited by white people/culture so you know say MTV nah going show mainly black artists as much as they show white artists. So thats why I guess they made BET for the black people to see more of what they would like.. you know?

Anyway discuss...

Dongada wrote:

Imagine a white person woman/man doesnt matter. Is in an elevator alone the elevator stops and its not their floor but 3/4 black men board the elevator. Why does that white individual now feel threatened. They may show that they feel uncomfortable by crossing their arms or something. Why would they need to be thinkin to themselves, "boy I hope I'll be alright with these guys in here with me". I can almost GUARENTEE if those 3/4 men that bordered the elevator were of his white colour, he would have felt safe, and would not even think about anything bad happennin to him. This type of prejudgemental behaviour happens all of the time in different scenarios (stores, streets,trains) and we will not move forward until we can get past things like that.

I dont agree with the BET thing either but if you look at it this way, we are never properly reconized are really excepted in certain places . So I guess I can see both ways on this BET thing and other pro black stuff. Not other pro black, other races too. Cuz if you think about it like this, lets say you live in caribbean and you want to find out about to the weather/news there. You dont go on the Weather Channel or CNN because they will mainly show things about states in the US and they will minor on stuff outside of the states. So if you wanna find out the news/weather you would go to your local news/weather channel, and it would major on your country and minor on an outside country... see what I'm gettin at? The relation to that and the BET is well... The US is mostly inhabited by white people/culture so you know say MTV nah going show mainly black artists as much as they show white artists. So thats why I guess they made BET for the black people to see more of what they would like.. you know?

Anyway discuss...

For the point about the elevator I certainly wouldn't feel that at all, and I don't know anyone that would..

and there is no such thing as White culture, remember that was my point, white people aren't allowed to have a culture or to be proud of their race like others because thats racist for some reason..... Even the very concept of black or any race culture only serves to further segregate people into groups causing nothing but problems, And how are black people never properly recognized? Have you seen the president of america lately no? And that weather methaphor doesn't make much sense in this context?

And how can you say things haven't changed?? Racism is dying out, quickly if you haven't noticed, things have changed an awful awful awful lot, again I point to Obama..
      [CENTER]:DCan't wait for SGU:D
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Puddle-Jumper ().