cloning, gene modification!!!

• cloning, gene modification!!!

i was watching the news the other day and it said that scientists have genetically made a human sperm but they said they are nit goin to try and fuse it with any fertilised eggs and have called for the government to step in and put laws against doing so, but this got me thinking of like genetic humans and then onto cloning, and i notest that i havnt seen any threads on this contraversial subject!!! i just wanted to know what people thought of cloning and wether it is right to use clonig on people or else have genetic humans, like can you really be human if you start your life in a test tube?????

whats you opinions on this matter???
    • Re: cloning, gene modification!!!

kopite wrote:

i was watching the news the other day and it said that scientists have genetically made a human sperm but they said they are nit goin to try and fuse it with any fertilised eggs and have called for the government to step in and put laws against doing so, but this got me thinking of like genetic humans and then onto cloning, and i notest that i havnt seen any threads on this contraversial subject!!! i just wanted to know what people thought of cloning and wether it is right to use clonig on people or else have genetic humans, like can you really be human if you start your life in a test tube?????

whats you opinions on this matter???

I say DOWN WITH GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD! BOYCOTT MONSANTO! 80% of the food you see in a store has been genetically modified, and you probably don't even know it. Worst of all, GMOs have NEVER been proven safe! Home - Institute for Responsible Technology [ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8098965482866581381]The Future of Food: What Every Person Should Know with Deborah Garcia[/ame] A Moratorium on Genetically Manipulated (GMO) Foods GMO Trilogy DVD/CD Set
      Check out my website: http://freevideogames.tk

Firstly to jaaaaake - Genetically modified things have never been proven unsafe or had a single side effect in the 20 years. It has never produced anything toxic and hasn't effected pregnant women or the babies. When genetically screened the babies wee found to be completely normal.

Safety is not the issue with GM. Those against GM use this excuse as it will gain more support by those who do not understand it. The issue with GM crops is that they like pesticides, herbicides & insecticides could make pests, insects weeds resistant to toxins. Creating superbugs. This is already caused by toxins and medicines so the positives of GM vastly outway the negatives. This hypothetical safety issue has nothing backing it up.

Cloning is illegal because of the ethical problems it brings: Cloning would only logically needed for transplants - that would mean killing the clone for the human, building armies or workforces - slaves, or building copies of oneself to keep yourself alive which is completely egotistic and wrong. If legalised only the rich would be able to afford it making the social gap between rich and poor bigger.

If by genetic humans you mean babies made outside the womb (testube babies) i feel this is okay. If a couple cannot have a baby they should be able to however if the reason they cannot have a baby is genetic this gene should be modified to allow the offspring to be fertile. This would need to be done to stop human fertility gradually getting worse in the long run. And yes you are still human if fertilised in a test tube. They are genetically the same as humans, they grow up the same, they live the same. The only thing against it is religious nuts saying the baby will grow with no soul as it isnt natural which is complete bollocks, religion shouldnt have the right in this case to stop the potential of life.
      Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. - Richard Dawkins

^^^^^ thats funny!!!!! i completely agree FSM bout the cloning, for soooo many reasons it is rong!! and i see what you mean FSM about the sperm and the children growing up the same as us, but in my opinion, i dont know how a parent who got their child who grew from a test tube, compared to if the child was born, (but i duno thats just a thought that might happen, like worst case scenario kind of thing) like in my opinion, why not just use a surrogate mother this would avoid any complications with the baby of there was any problems, (i duno if there might be any problems or not, like the child might not hav a functioning liver, just an example) like the odds of the child having deformity's if born via a surrogate would be greatly reduced than via a scientist!!!!! for me anyway, i dont think it would be right getting a child that way, id feel as if im messing with nature, disturbing the natural balance, as it were!!!!

FSM wrote:

Firstly to jaaaaake - Genetically modified things have never been proven unsafe or had a single side effect in the 20 years. It has never produced anything toxic and hasn't effected pregnant women or the babies. When genetically screened the babies wee found to be completely normal.

Safety is not the issue with GM. Those against GM use this excuse as it will gain more support by those who do not understand it. The issue with GM crops is that they like pesticides, herbicides & insecticides could make pests, insects weeds resistant to toxins. Creating superbugs. This is already caused by toxins and medicines so the positives of GM vastly outway the negatives. This hypothetical safety issue has nothing backing it up.

Cloning is illegal because of the ethical problems it brings: Cloning would only logically needed for transplants - that would mean killing the clone for the human, building armies or workforces - slaves, or building copies of oneself to keep yourself alive which is completely egotistic and wrong. If legalised only the rich would be able to afford it making the social gap between rich and poor bigger.

If by genetic humans you mean babies made outside the womb (testube babies) i feel this is okay. If a couple cannot have a baby they should be able to however if the reason they cannot have a baby is genetic this gene should be modified to allow the offspring to be fertile. This would need to be done to stop human fertility gradually getting worse in the long run. And yes you are still human if fertilised in a test tube. They are genetically the same as humans, they grow up the same, they live the same. The only thing against it is religious nuts saying the baby will grow with no soul as it isnt natural which is complete bollocks, religion shouldnt have the right in this case to stop the potential of life.

Did you even READ my post? Did you even go to my links? Did you watch even the first 5 minutes of the video I linked? Let me guess: NO. Let me explain this in terms you'll understand. But first, I'll quote a book:

Ironically, policy makers around the world gain confidence in the safety of GM crops because they were wrongly assume that the US FDA has approved them based on extensive tests, and approvals everywhere rely on the developers to do safety studier on their own crops. Research does not need to be published and most is kept secret under the guise of "confidential business information." Very little data is available for public scrutiny. In 2003, for example, researchers reviewed published, peer-reviewed animal feeding studies that qualified as safety assessments. There were ten. The correlation between the findings and the funding was telling. Five studies "performed more or less in collaboration with private companies" reported no adverse effects. In three independent studies, "adverse effects were reported." The authors said, "It is remarkable that these effects have all been observed after feeding for only 10-14 days."...

The prevailing worldview behind the development of GM foods was that genes were like Lego blocks, independent pieces that snap into place. This is false. The process of creating a GM crop can produce massive changes in the natural functioning of the plant's DNA. Native genes can be mutated, deleted, permanently turned off or on, and hundreds may change levels of expression. The inserted gene can become truncated, fragmented, mixed with other genes, inverted or multiplied, and the GM protein it produces may have unintended characteristics with harmful side effects.

To make this clear, we'll use the popular analogy comparing DNA to a book. The four bases that make up the genetic sequence are the letters in the book; the genes are special pages that describe characters called proteins. The common way people explain and promote genetic engineering is to say, "It is just like taking a page out of one book and putting it in another."

In reality, a book would look quite different after it had undergone genetic engineering. The inserted page (gene) may turn out to be multiple identical pages, partial pages, or small bits of text...

Introduction, pages 2-3, "Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods"

This book has been reviewed by dozens of qualified PhD's, so DON'T tell me this is some paranoid mumbo-jumbo! Look up Arpad Puztai, he went out on British TV with incriminating evidence against GMO's. He was soon silenced and debunked by the "professionals". And for the record, they have engineered Bt toxin into many of the crops we eat. Independent scientists have proven that engineering the toxin in the DNA is more harmful spraying it. Still think the sh!t's safe?

You can say all you want to me, mister. But until you can successfully debunk 20+ PhD's, your posts are just full of hot air. I'm on a roll, so let's get one more quote in:

One of the most unscientific and dangerous statements made by biotech proponents is that millions of people in the US have been eating GM food for a decade and no one has gotten sick. On the contrary, GM foods might already be contributing to serious, widespread health problems, but since no one is monitoring for this, it could take decades to identify.

Judy Carman, a former senior epidemiologist for the government of South Australia, describes the difficulties from a public health perspective. "The problem is to recognize that there is a new health problem in the community" I f GM crops created a new disease, it would not have an established surveillance system. In fact, most existing diseases do not have any effective surveillance systems in place, making it hard to identify a change.

Carman points out that, "The HIV/AIDS epidemic went unnoticed for decades, even though it created memorable secondary infections ... and had a focus in young gay men who tended to cluster geographically and see the same doctors. It was largely picked-up by chance ... even though there were by then thousands of HIV/AIDS cases worldwide."

So... Which side are you on?

The post was edited 1 time, last by jaaaaake ().

BlueDragon wrote:

The "ethical issues" surrounding GM is bullshit. If GM wasn't beneficial then I'd disagree with it but as far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with it.

If you actually READ my posts, you'd know it's about health; NOT about ethics!!! It's about the environment, corporate corruption, food safety, and the RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE EATING!!!! THE RIGHT NOT TO HAVE PESTICIDES ENGINEERED INTO YOUR FOOD!!! Idiot.

The main problem seems to be the release of GM crops which have not been proved to be safe. The main example of unsafe GMcrops is MON863 a crop that was never tested on animals. GM crops offer too much to just ban because of bad testing. What needs to be done instead of banning it is enforcing strict tests on them. GM crops are more efficient and certain example have been proven to have health benefits. Corporate corruption is the problem not the GM crops. For example we do not ban all pesticides if some untested ones are unsafe do we? The government needs to enforce strict tests. By banning them we are wasting a big chance at a more efficient lifestyle. People saying all GM foods are unsafe are just making assumptions. Some have been proven completely safe, some beneficial and some untested ones unsafe.

Gm foods are not the problem - the companies are. They are the ones refusing to do tests on their products. GM is not a health risk, its the laziness behind the corporations that is.
      Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. - Richard Dawkins