Proven wrong.

• Proven wrong.

I didn't know where else to put this, but I figured D&D makes more sense than anywhere else.

I know a lot of people put their faith in a religion (doesn't matter which one), most of which are based on the idea of a god creating and ruling the universe and usually some kind of afterlife. Not as many people, but still many of you hold steadfast to the belief that not only are most religions wrong, but that they are stupid.

As for myself, I don't see why people need to believe or disbelieve in such a god. While I have no qualms philosophically about the existence of a god, I still can't figure out why so many people think that the existence of such a being would have any effect on us.

With that in mind, I pose a hypothetical to you:

Pretend that the opposite of what you believe has just been proven correct beyond a shadow of a doubt (Theists, God's existence has been disproven, he does not exist; Atheists, God has been proven to exist. No ifs ands or buts). Indisputable evidence.

Given that situation, would your actions morals, decisions and choices change? Would you suddenly engage in sinful behaviour that you normally wouldn't? Would you follow the good book (whatever it may be) with passion and sincerity? In essence, would anything really change if you were proven wrong concerning religion, and if not, what does that say about the impact of religion on your life?
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs
    • Re: Proven wrong.

Depends on the god. If it was a religion of reincarnation i would go in life as i normally would. If it was a god threatening hell id have to change my views not out of respect but fear as many others would.
      Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. - Richard Dawkins

If God was disproven, my life would carry on as normal, really.

If God was proven, I'd probably follow whatever religion turns out to be the true religion, but my actions would really depend upon the nature of the God and just how in line with his morals I was. I'd like to think that I'd stick to my moral guns, but that's unlikely considering I'm human.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

It's really not about a god having any influence on this planet. If there was ever a god that truly exists, then that said god is not even doing anything to alter our lives over here.

So it's really more about what religion is doing to our society. It's more that, than trying to argue about god's existence, really.

Atheism is not only about not having a belief in a personal god, but also being critical towards religion and it's role in society.

So I really don't even want to talk about whether there is a god or not, because it is religion, and not god, that influences people. Id much rather argue about how religion is detrimental to society, more than anything, really.

If it was proven that God does exist then ...

Well, nothing would really change. The way I see it, if he has no problems with the way people are living now (whether they be theist or atheist) I don't see any reason to change. If anything, he probably just wants the people to be happy and live life the way they want to. I don't think a belief in God is necessary to do good things anyways and that's really all he probably wants.

That's just me though ...
      [CENTER]6/19/06

愛してる~
      私の恋人
      [/CENTER]

Bebop wrote:

I didn't know where else to put this, but I figured D&D makes more sense than anywhere else.

I know a lot of people put their faith in a religion (doesn't matter which one), most of which are based on the idea of a god creating and ruling the universe and usually some kind of afterlife. Not as many people, but still many of you hold steadfast to the belief that not only are most religions wrong, but that they are stupid.

As for myself, I don't see why people need to believe or disbelieve in such a god. While I have no qualms philosophically about the existence of a god, I still can't figure out why so many people think that the existence of such a being would have any effect on us.

With that in mind, I pose a hypothetical to you:

Pretend that the opposite of what you believe has just been proven correct beyond a shadow of a doubt (Theists, God's existence has been disproven, he does not exist; Atheists, God has been proven to exist. No ifs ands or buts). Indisputable evidence.

Given that situation, would your actions morals, decisions and choices change? Would you suddenly engage in sinful behaviour that you normally wouldn't? Would you follow the good book (whatever it may be) with passion and sincerity? In essence, would anything really change if you were proven wrong concerning religion, and if not, what does that say about the impact of religion on your life?

Damn straight, I'd change in a heartbeat. I would want that everlasting afterlife you kidding me?

Peace & Love

I'm fairly certain I'd stay true to my old ways. I don't see myself as the type of person who relies on others (supernatural or otherwise) to differentiate between right and wrong.

Also, I'd like to hear from a few more theists, as my original question was aimed more at them than atheists (I figured most atheists would stay the same).

So I really don't even want to talk about whether there is a god or not, because it is religion, and not god, that influences people. Id much rather argue about how religion is detrimental to society, more than anything, really.

That's kinda what I'm getting at in a roundabout way, beginning at the foundation.
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs