Inadequacy

• Does anyone ever just feel completely inadequate? Like you aren't the prettiest/most handsome, smartest, or most popular and it just bums you out? I've been feeling that A LOT lately and I'm trying to figure out why and how I can combat it. Any thoughts?
      ~Cause these things will change~
      ~Do you feel it now?~
      ~These walls that they put up to hold us back
      ~will fall down~
    • Re: Inadequacy

I think everyone gets that feeling from time to time, don't they. It's nothing to worry about, so don't worry. You just have to remember that nobody is perfect, and everyone has something wrong. Everyone! And the girls who walk past you with the perfect make up and the seemingly perfect life, it's a mask. They are coping with their own feelings of inadequecy, they just hide it.

Never be ashamed of who you are. Just be yourself and be proud of who you are. I know people might knock you but who cares. You are who you are. And as long as you remain true to yourself, that's all you can do
      [SIZE=2]Aaron - [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Support Leader[/SIZE] :kiss:
      [LEFT]
      [RIGHT]-

Saradactyl;2086538 wrote:

Haha, Aaron. I wuv youuuu.
      [/RIGHT]
      [/LEFT]

scholargirl462 wrote:

Does anyone ever just feel completely inadequate? Like you aren't the prettiest/most handsome, smartest, or most popular and it just bums you out? I've been feeling that A LOT lately and I'm trying to figure out why and how I can combat it. Any thoughts?

No, never. :p

Seriously, I don't think it's good to believe you're all those things.. because often the people who do.. aren't. Arrogance isn't attractive at all. Although there will always be those who give such people false praise, which benefits both their egos because if you have cool friends, you must cool too, right?

Likewise, I believe feelings of low self-value are triggered by the people around us. If you're subjected to excessive and harsh criticism, constant berating, or abusive exploitation by anyone, you're bound to feel like crap about yourself. What makes it even worse is you often find yourself pushing close friends or friends away, because you somehow believe it's only a matter of time before you're "found out" as some kind of worthless nobody. It's horrible. And it's inevitable, unless you climb out of the hypothetical shithole you've been pushed into.

Like Saradactyl wisely said, no body is perfect. You have consider the fact that you do have bad points and good points about yourself just like everyone else. I've been at a point where everything seemed impossible because I dwelled on my bad points more than the good things about myself.. I sometimes wondered if it was all worth it. But it's all about being reasonable, and having a positive outlook.. although it's easier said than done. It doesn't happen overnight, it can take months or even years to change the person that you are.. however, you can recreate yourself every second of the day.. one small step at a time. If you're 18, then that means you may have to undo 18 years of what makes you, you. It takes time.

Throwing your burden on someone you trust can help a lot. Tell them about your feelings.. and they could give you help and strength just by listening and caring. I also like to always look at the good in others.. if you're critical about other people, it often makes as a miserable, sometimes hateful person within.. which isn't good, he power of hate can strangle all your love and your joy. Finding joy in the good of others can help you find joy within yourself too.. simply because you're being positive for once. One last peice of advice, keeping yourself busy is a good at improving self-worth.. Maybe because you're being more productive in life, or perhaps because it gives you less time to dwell on negative things.

All the best.
      [CENTER][CENTER]Taken: Shibuya, Toto-Super Space.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      "o-shaberi Benki-kun" - "Talkative convenience container"
      Only the Japanese would give a personality to a toilet.
      [/CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Titus Pullo ().

The thing about life is that there is always someone out there thats going to be better then you at something, smarter then you, and prettier then you. But then again your always gonna be a step above someone else. Thats kinda how the hierachy of life is.

When it all boils down though, its all about how you carry youself. How confident you are and how hard you work for what you want. Thats honestly what matters and others will take notice. :D

I completely get you.
      I think it's very easy to say don't care what people think, and for me i was really sick of people saying that, coz i felt that those people who told me that already had it good, so it was easy for them to say.
      In truth you should always do you best and know who you are. Light some candles and put on some celtic music coz for me it helps.
      Really know who you want to be, coz inadequecy is all in the head.
      Surround yourself with your friends, but know yourself.
      Focus on your positive not negative...
      Oh and by the way this is coming from someone who hasn't got it all..
      It is better to have loved and lost, than not at all - Tennysonx

Story of my life, just gotta keep reminding myself that I havn't wasted the past 20 years because:
      I have friends (meaning I'm interesting)
      I am at University (meaning I'm not lazy)
      I have a family that loves me (meaning I'm loveable)
      I have a Job (meaning I'm not broke)
      I'm not fat (meaning I have some fitness)
      I'm not a virgin (meaning I'm not ugly)
      & most importantly I'm not sad all the time, only most of the time, (meaning there is hope yet!)

These things I keep forgetting, but all I need to do is remind myself...

scholargirl462 wrote:

Does anyone ever just feel completely inadequate? Like you aren't the prettiest/most handsome, smartest, or most popular and it just bums you out?

Sure have. Moreso about my looks rather than my intelligence, or being most popular - that I couldn't really care about. But, thats just the way it goes- you are who you are, non of us are perfect.

Try not to let it get to you too much - just because you feel inadequate, doesn't mean you actually are.

Like some other ppl already said, most of us feel this way some time or another. I get that feeling sometimes. But the way to deal with it is to focus on the positives:

The ppl that you love that love you too- friends and family NOT the ppl who make you feel insignificant

The things that make you happy- remember you shouldn't focus on if you're the best at something- if it makes you feel good that's the important thing

The things you like about yourself- I mean there has to be something you like about yourself even if it feels weird to think about- aka like a good sense of humor, good fashion, some talent, or other quality about yourself

Remember the cup in life is either half full or half empty. So, make sure to reminder yourself of the good things you ARE rather than the things you're NOT :) Hope this helps.:D

dawoel wrote:

Story of my life, just gotta keep reminding myself that I havn't wasted the past 20 years because:
      I have friends (meaning I'm interesting)
      I am at University (meaning I'm not lazy)
      I have a family that loves me (meaning I'm loveable)
      I have a Job (meaning I'm not broke)
      I'm not fat (meaning I have some fitness)
      I'm not a virgin (meaning I'm not ugly)
      & most importantly I'm not sad all the time, only most of the time, (meaning there is hope yet!)

These things I keep forgetting, but all I need to do is remind myself...

Being a virgin does not mean that you're ugly [:
      Not saying that I am a virgin, but I know a lot of pretty people that are virgins. [: