Need Some Assistance!

• Need Some Assistance!

Ok so my problem isn't nearly as horrible as many of the peoples on here, but, i could really use some help. Back during early elementary school(1st-5th grade) i was always smiling and everything was great. Around 6th grade though things started to change and i seemed to smile less and less and even become more depressed. Since then it's gotton progressively worse and worse. I really can't take it anymore. I've had my fair share of self-harm and even at times suicidal thoughts. over time those things occur more often. Althouth those are both terrible things, the thing that's killing me the most is stuff like being unable to get sleep, and when i do i still end up terribly tired. noy only that but i dont weight regarless if i over eat or undereat(its one or the other for me and it changes all the time). i also seem to have diminishing self-esteem and confidence. i read about depression and i have reason to believe thats maybe what i have. but there are many other mental problems that i could have. what i really want from this post on this forum is what people think could be wrong, or what i can do to maybe imporve my life. i would really appreciate it, school comes up in a couple days and i don't want to feel lonely. i really want to get out there and feel like everyone else. not the coolest kid out there but definently maybe fit in with everyone else. I know i didn't supply all the information that maybe you guys need. But if there's any questions feel free to ask in a post, i'll reply as soon as i can. i Just didn't want to drag out this post to be like a book. Thanks in advance to anyone who offers helpful advice.
      [LEFT][SIZE=1]Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=1]When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=1]Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
    • Re: Need Some Assistance!

Stjowa wrote:

I think it would be best not to have us diagnose you but you to see a therapist.

Good Luck!!!

Your absolutely right, except, i forgot to add i'd prefer not to share all this with my mom. I want an opinion or a guess of some sort instead of a diagnosis. I do plan on seeing a doctor of some sort eventually, but, only after i have some direction of what i might be dealing with.
      [LEFT][SIZE=1]Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=1]Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties.[/SIZE][/LEFT]

Gatlinock wrote:

Your absolutely right, except, i forgot to add i'd prefer not to share all this with my mom. I want an opinion or a guess of some sort instead of a diagnosis. I do plan on seeing a doctor of some sort eventually, but, only after i have some direction of what i might be dealing with.

Just tell her you want to see a therapist. But dont tell her everything.
      To a new beginning.

A therapist, doctor, or psychologist? that doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. i'd still prefer direction though. all i know for sure is that it's not some physical medical condition because i've taken tests for it and nothing came up.

I know that you don't wanna tell your mother, but unless you take charge and ask for the help you need you will not be able to fix your unhappiness. Tell her what is going on and that you would like to talk to someone like a therapist. Or maybe talk to your doctor so they can prescribe you some medication.
      [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Seduce&Destroy[/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      You're sure you still wanna play this evil lil game?
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Saradactyl wrote:

I know that you don't wanna tell your mother, but unless you take charge and ask for the help you need you will not be able to fix your unhappiness. Tell her what is going on and that you would like to talk to someone like a therapist. Or maybe talk to your doctor so they can prescribe you some medication.

i guess that's the only thing i can do.

You could also go into your school and ask to talk to the school's therapist/psychologist. Many schools have them and they ca either help you figure out what the problem is or set you in the right direction to figure it out.
      “Sometimes the only way you can feel good about yourself is by making someone else look bad. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves.” ~ Homer Simpson

Well, first off, I have to agree that seeing a counseler and psychiatrist is a good idea. While a psychiatrist will determine rather or not you have a chemical imbalance in your brain, which would require medication (i.e. anti-depressants, nerve pills, etc..) a counselor will help you understand yourself.
      Now, what I want to say is that the simplicity of life seems to diminish when one reaches your age; however, one can learn to cope with all the shit life throws in one's face. I had to learn to cope, as did everyone else on this forum, and every person who ever existed. I've been down in the slums and felt completely alone in the struggle called life. I finally learned that, like I said before, each person faces difficulties. So, if you don't listen to a word anyone has said, at least know this: you're not alone. There's always someone who understands, and your mom may be the person who understands most. You'll never know unless you try. I hope you find some answers my friend. =]
      Don't hang on. Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky. And all your money won't another minute buy. All we are is dust in the wind.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dead. ().

Well seeing a professional and telling your mom are both things that have been said several time and i agree. I just wanted to say that i have depression and i was and still am in a similar position that you are in and i just wanted to put my hand out there for you to grab if you need someone to talk to. I'm always on my YIM so feel free to IM me or PM me. I would really like to help you or anyone that wants to talk.

Hi :)
      In reference to Stjowa, directions: tell your mother that you wish to see a doctor about how lately you have been depressed and unable to control your emotions. She will book an appointment with your general practitioner. If you don't want your mother to be present while seeing him/her, then that's fine, tell her that. See your doctor, he/she will put you in touch with a therapist or psychologist - whichever they see fit (probably a therapist/councillor). The person they put you in touch with willa dvise you on whatever the best route for you to take from then on will be.

Lots of teenagers get depressed, it's a part of growing up. The problem isn't depression, it's controlling it. You need to learn to control whatever is causing you to be depressed and have those bad thoughts. In time, things will get better.
      Your first action should be to work out what the problems are. You can not alter their effects until you stop them. Work out what is making you depressed, and only then can you act on it.
      When you know, you need to work against it. Don't let them sit there and get worse - do something about them! Get rid of them, fight them, bury them, anything to stop them hurting you. When you start learning how to combat the pain, you will be able to kill it completely and, soon, you will learn to be happy again.
      Do the things you enjoy most. Whether it's painting, being with your friends, sports, reading etc, do it, it'll help.

Good luck.
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]My mind turns to metal, its gears are turning,[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]And my sanity withers and dies.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]This world all around me, it's bitter and twisted;[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=4]Reality, madness or lies?[/SIZE][/LEFT]

Tenris wrote:

Hi :)
      In reference to Stjowa, directions: tell your mother that you wish to see a doctor about how lately you have been depressed and unable to control your emotions. She will book an appointment with your general practitioner. If you don't want your mother to be present while seeing him/her, then that's fine, tell her that. See your doctor, he/she will put you in touch with a therapist or psychologist - whichever they see fit (probably a therapist/councillor). The person they put you in touch with willa dvise you on whatever the best route for you to take from then on will be.

Lots of teenagers get depressed, it's a part of growing up. The problem isn't depression, it's controlling it. You need to learn to control whatever is causing you to be depressed and have those bad thoughts. In time, things will get better.
      Your first action should be to work out what the problems are. You can not alter their effects until you stop them. Work out what is making you depressed, and only then can you act on it.
      When you know, you need to work against it. Don't let them sit there and get worse - do something about them! Get rid of them, fight them, bury them, anything to stop them hurting you. When you start learning how to combat the pain, you will be able to kill it completely and, soon, you will learn to be happy again.
      Do the things you enjoy most. Whether it's painting, being with your friends, sports, reading etc, do it, it'll help.

Good luck.

probably the best advice on this thread, although, i think i needed to mention something else. the kind of depression i may have is most likely a physical disorder in the brain rather than something emotional. it's the physical symptoms of it that totally wear me out and tear me down. i've got cross country now and i can't be held back this. i should have also mentioned that i think it's physical depression considering i've dieted and eaten energy rich foods many many times and currently am dieting for more energy yet i still feel an extreme naucious tiredness many times throughout the day and my vision can even become blurred. but your intructions will definently help me out.

I don't care if you listen to me... But here's the deal:

You have your head on straight and your trying to diagnose
      yourself with nonsense you 'think' you have.

Sure. You have depression.... But it seems like you're looking
      for problems with similar 'symptoms' to what you're experiencing...

And come'on'... Everyone goes through depression.

I cry for our generation.

Yackstovic wrote:

I don't care if you listen to me... But here's the deal:

You have your head on straight and your trying to diagnose
      yourself with nonsense you 'think' you have.

Sure. You have depression.... But it seems like you're looking
      for problems with similar 'symptoms' to what you're experiencing...

And come'on'... Everyone goes through depression.

I cry for our generation.

I...don't...quite...understand what your trying to say. all i got out of this is that your generalizing me with this "emo" generation?

yeah i don't cry for our generation but i do feel pity for THEIR futures, i've taken care of mine already.

also, i dont think you can say my "depression" fits in with what every teen feels because im pretty sure all the teens would seem like they have narcolepsy, and believe me, they dont.

I think it's best if you talk to a therapist. That way, they can find out if you're really suffering from depression. And by what you have said, it does sound like you are. You also have a lot of things on your shoulders that should been taken off. By talking to a therapist, you will get everything off of your chest. And you'll feel a lot better about yourself.

Medication might be given to you. I remember when I got medicine and I thought I was a freak. But you're not. Some people just have a harder time dealing with normal life situations. But it does not make you less of a person. I've had my fair share of cutting, the eating disorder and it's not worth it.

Once you see someone for your problems and get treated, you will feel one hundred percent better. And I honestly mean that.

xxXRawrHelloKittyxxX wrote:

I think it's best if you talk to a therapist. That way, they can find out if you're really suffering from depression. And by what you have said, it does sound like you are. You also have a lot of things on your shoulders that should been taken off. By talking to a therapist, you will get everything off of your chest. And you'll feel a lot better about yourself.

Medication might be given to you. I remember when I got medicine and I thought I was a freak. But you're not. Some people just have a harder time dealing with normal life situations. But it does not make you less of a person. I've had my fair share of cutting, the eating disorder and it's not worth it.

Once you see someone for your problems and get treated, you will feel one hundred percent better. And I honestly mean that.

thank you, i really hope i will feel as good as you speak of.

One thing i dont think has been addressed in this thread yet (I only glanced through posts) but your depression may actually stem from your lack of sleep. It would be best if you saw a doctor and councillor. Btw I have no medical or psychological experience and I am just giving my opinion based on the little I do know about depression
      "and the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save Us!" and I'll whisper "No." ~ Rorschach
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nathan17 wrote:

One thing i dont think has been addressed in this thread yet (I only glanced through posts) but your depression may actually stem from your lack of sleep. It would be best if you saw a doctor and councillor. Btw I have no medical or psychological experience and I am just giving my opinion based on the little I do know about depression

Well i did goto the doctor and they werent able to find anything on the sleep problem, but they didn't do a very thurough inspection