Nationalised Health Service

• Nationalised Health Service

I'm absolutely astounded and dismayed by the Republican reaction to Barack Obama's proposed scheme to overhaul health care in the United States. Primarily, I'm shocked by the rabid attacks that have been directed at the Nationalised Health Service of the United Kingdom - a health system that, revealingly, is ranked 19 places higher than that of the United States in the national rankings of the World Health Organization (UK is 18th, USA is 37th).

The NHS has been described as 'evil' and 'Orwellian' in recent weeks, and one US newspaper (The Investor's Business Daily) commented: 'People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.'
      Stephen Hawking himself quickly ridiculed this claim, however, stating that 'received a large amount of high quality treatment [from the NHS] without which I would not have survived'.

Furthermore, two British women who related stories of poor treatment by the NHS have disclosed that they were duped by the Conservatives for Patients' Rights (CPR): they were told that their stories would be included in a balanced documentary debating the merits and drawbacks of a nationalised healthcare system, when in fact they were included in a US TV commercial intended to peturb the public and to turn them against state-funded healthcare. Since the commercial was run, both women have announced their support for the NHS.

David Cameron, the leader of the opposition, and Gordon Brown, the current Prime Minister, have also broadcast their support for the NHS via a Twitter page set up to defend the system; the campaign received so many messages that it crashed the Twitter website.

It seems that the Republican response to the plan is to allege fabricated or wildly exaggerated claims and to engage in active fear-mongering. They aim to 'scare and mislead', according to Barack Obama. Perhaps they should start talking politics.
    • Re: Nationalised Health Service

It's nothing new though. Whether or not Obama wants to usher in universal health care or just a government option, Republicans shout him down.

Glenn Beck says the words 'death squad' and now every idiot that watches Fox News thinks this is Logan's Run. It's ridiculous, I agree.

Although I do have a bone to pick with you saying that the U.S. health care system is 19 places worse than the U.K. When it comes to quality of treatment, U.S. surgeons, doctors, med schools, etc. are the best. It's just if you don't have insurance, you are basically screwed.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Dr.Carter wrote:

Although I do have a bone to pick with you saying that the U.S. health care system is 19 places worse than the U.K. When it comes to quality of treatment, U.S. surgeons, doctors, med schools, etc. are the best. It's just if you don't have insurance, you are basically screwed.

I don't doubt that you're right, but what I said was indisputable - this is coming from the World Health Organization, not me.
      The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems
      The exact factors they base the rankings on, I don't know, but them's the facts. So you see that both of us can be correct in what we said, even if they seemingly contradict each other.

The WHO criteria judges the system as a whole. Being that 15% percent of Americans don't have health insurance, it get's massive mark downs for that. I'm not debating that. It should also be noted that this data is from 2000. The WHO stopped doing it because they admitted themselves it's too complex to make a numerical list of health care criteria.

What I'm saying is American doctors are top of the line. It's not like the operation room looks like a concentration camp in 1936 Germany. The doctors aren't the problem, it's the insurance companies.

For instance, I'd be willing to bet if you took a survey of the best medical schools in the world, 5 of the top 10 would be American schools. It's the students are implemented in a flawed system.

I'm agreeing with you, just in a weird way. :)

Dr.Carter wrote:

The WHO criteria judges the system as a whole. Being that 15% percent of Americans don't have health insurance, it get's massive mark downs for that. I'm not debating that. It should also be noted that this data is from 2000. The WHO stopped doing it because they admitted themselves it's too complex to make a numerical list of health care criteria.

What I'm saying is American doctors are top of the line. It's not like the operation room looks like a concentration camp in 1936 Germany. The doctors aren't the problem, it's the insurance companies.

For instance, I'd be willing to bet if you took a survey of the best medical schools in the world, 5 of the top 10 would be American schools. It's the students are implemented in a flawed system.

I'm agreeing with you, just in a weird way. :)

I see, and I agree that at the top level American medical care is among the best in the world, but I also reckon that it has maybe the greatest disparity in healthcare given to rich and poor of the developed nations. I was reading an article (admittedly published in 2007) that commented on American health care, I'll find the link in just a second, which discussed the strengths and weaknesses of the American medical system - it was amazing to see that it was ranked as the best in a certain field while simultaneously the worst in another.

I think we definitely both agree that American healthcare certainly has the potential to be among the very best in the world, if not the best in the world.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Oh, and I hope no one misconstrues my post as trying to incite competition between the USA and other nations - that wasn't my intention at all.

Dr. Carter, here's the article I referred to: nytimes.com/2007/08/12/opinion/12sun1.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

aleaiactaest wrote:

I see, and I agree that at the top level American medical care is among the best in the world, but I also reckon that it has maybe the greatest disparity in healthcare given to rich and poor of the developed nations. I was reading an article (admittedly published in 2007) that commented on American health care, I'll find the link in just a second, which discussed the strengths and weaknesses of the American medical system - it was amazing to see that it was ranked as the best in a certain field while simultaneously the worst in another.

I think we definitely both agree that American healthcare certainly has the potential to be among the very best in the world, if not the best in the world.

Exactly, it's a disparity that shouldn't exist. We've focused far too much on how long the rich people can live, that we've forgot about helping the poor people just get by. I'll be the first one to admit that if you don't have health care, you are pretty much screwed in America.

It's sort of a caste system that no one is readily willing to admit exists. I have a wealthy grandfather who beat stage 3 lung cancer, yet people die everyday from stuff like the flu. And I'm not talking about Ethiopia or anything here, I mean right in the heartland. People dying from easily preventable diseases, a simple booster shot that they can't get because it costs hundreds of dollars without insurance. In the meantime, even myself in the upper middle class can get the shot and pay a $15 co pay.

Oh, and I hope no one misconstrues my post as trying to incite competition between the USA and other nations - that wasn't my intention at all.

Dr. Carter, here's the article I referred to: nytimes.com/2007/08/12/opinion/12sun1.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Thanks.