The Ravages of Religion

• Re: The Ravages of Religion

x-mercedes-x wrote:

I use exclamation points at the end of everything! It's just the way i type! I'm not using them unecessarily!
      unnecessary
      -adjective
      not necessary or essential; needless; unessential.

Another mystery solved. :cool:

~Maggot
      [size=3]Oh! why is phrensy called a curse?
      I deem the sense of misery worse:
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

Anyway! Back on topic!
      Religion SHOULD be abolished! It just causes way too many problems! People can have faith but they should choose their own rather than being brainwashed into a particular religion, most of which can be disproved through science. Sure god can't be proven or disproven but most things religions believe in easily can be.
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/CENTER]

x-mercedes-x wrote:

Anyway! Back on topic!
      I so wish I could slap you right now.

x-mercedes-x wrote:

Religion SHOULD be abolished!
      Religion can't be abolished. Why do you think it's been around so long? Most people need religion. It's just how the human mind works.

x-mercedes-x wrote:

It just causes way too many problems!
      Actually, stupidity causes the problems, not the religion itself.

x-mercedes-x wrote:

People can have faith but they should choose their own rather than being brainwashed into a particular religion, most of which can be disproved through science. Sure god can't be proven or disproven but most things religions believe in easily can be.
      Just out of curiosity, can you give three or four examples of this?

~Maggot
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

Religion can't be abolished. Why do you think it's been around so long? Most people need religion. It's just how the human mind works.

Religion has been around so long because humanity needed a framework which could explain the world. It has lasted so long because it plays on humanity's irrationality. People do not need religion. It is by no means essential. It has been forced on many and many still question it.

Actually, stupidity causes the problems, not the religion itself.

Religion is birthed from irgnorance.
      [SIZE=1]"Religious suffering is the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature... It is the opium of the people." ~Karl Marx [/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      “Everything must justify its existence before the judgment seat of Reason, or give up existence”~ Engels[/SIZE]

jnifw3nloi wrote:

Religion has been around so long because humanity needed a framework which could explain the world. It has lasted so long because it plays on humanity's irrationality. People do not need religion. It is by no means essential. It has been forced on many and many still question it.
      I didn't say everyone needs it, I said most do, although, I'll admit, that was poor wording. But my point was that religion falls in with people's instinctual desires, and, as you pointed out, it is a way for the ignorant to explain what they can't logically. Regardless of what is wise and what is best, religion could never be wiped from humanity, because of what I just stated.

jnifw3nloi wrote:

Religion is birthed from irgnorance.
      Not necessarily. But I was saying that, just because two people are part of different religions, that doesn't mean they need to dislike each other based on simply that or get into fights because of it. If I started, for no reason, hating Jews and became a Christian, it wouldn't be religion that is the problem, but, rather, my own stupidity. I have friends from many different religious backgrounds, and I hold no more contempt for one than the next based on that.

~Maggot
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

I disagree. By education religion would be seen as outmoted and irrational and finalyl discarded. Undoubtedly full removal of religion is impossible, but I am sure that society will eventually discard religion.

As for the conflicts, religions cannot tolerate one another. Religions are always mutually exclusive and despite any moral integrity among the followers conflicts are bound to happen. History serves are proof. Anytime religions have met, there have always been conflicts. Christianity and Roman Polytheism, Judaism and Roman Polytheirsm, Christianity and Judaism, Christianity and Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. These conflicts are going on even today, and it is highly unlikely that religions will ever peacefully coexist for any significant portion of time.
      [SIZE=1]"Religious suffering is the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature... It is the opium of the people." ~Karl Marx [/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      “Everything must justify its existence before the judgment seat of Reason, or give up existence”~ Engels[/SIZE]

jnifw3nloi wrote:

I disagree. By education religion would be seen as outmoted and irrational and finalyl discarded.
      I have friends that are extremely educated and intelligent, but they are still part of a religion. One in particular has even said that she knows there is no reason to believe in God and Jesus, but she still does, and I respect her for that. So, as I said, just because one is educated, that doesn't mean they still won't believe.

jnifw3nloi wrote:

Undoubtedly full removal of religion is impossible, but I am sure that society will eventually discard religion.
      No society has ever discarded religion, so I find that highly unlikely.

jnifw3nloi wrote:

As for the conflicts, religions cannot tolerate one another. Religions are always mutually exclusive and despite any moral integrity among the followers conflicts are bound to happen.
      Conflicts are bound to happen based on the differences in beliefs, yes. However, the same thing happens with opinions about abortion or gay marriage or the death penalty. It's not religion itself that's the problem, but the stupidity of others that allows them to persecute others based on simply what they call themselves.

jnifw3nloi wrote:

History serves are proof. Anytime religions have met, there have always been conflicts. Christianity and Roman Polytheism, Judaism and Roman Polytheirsm, Christianity and Judaism, Christianity and Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. These conflicts are going on even today, and it is highly unlikely that religions will ever peacefully coexist for any significant portion of time.
      I'm not disagreeing with you on that. I honestly don't believe religions can ever coexist peacefully. However, as I said before, it's not that the religion itself is the problem, but people's prejudice. If it was the actual problem, then every religious person would hate at least one other religion, which they don't.

~Maggot
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

I have friends that are extremely educated and intelligent, but they are still part of a religion. One in particular has even said that she knows there is no reason to believe in God and Jesus, but she still does...

By education I do not only include teaching of facts, understanding of concepts and such but also critical thought and logic and reason. It is both very illogical and very unreasonable for someone to make descisions based on an unfounded claim such as religion. The inherent falsity, irrationality and unprovability of religion make it a destructive presence. One cannot claim to be both a devout follower of a religious faith and a logical and reasonable person. Faith and reason are mutually exclusive.

You can't eliminate religion because you cannot control what people believe.
      Look at the holocaust. Even with the fear of being discovered many jewish people still practiced their religion, you simply can't change peoples beliefs.

On the contrary however, religion does cause many, many wars, but it isn't the religion, its the inability to accept other religions.

ALL religions strive for the same thing, happiness and an understanding of exsistance, they just apply different means for getting there. If people could realize this then maby there wouldnt be so much religious hate, but many people have been bullshited into believing that other religions are a direct threat to their own, which is never true. And as Charlie said, many religions have been corupted and turned into ways of mass control, which is usually the real reason for many of these wars. The religion has instead become a goverment. Once again look at the holocaust. It seems like a war against judaism, but it was really just Hitlers way of gaining control over his people and gaining land. By telling people that it was "inhuman" to be anything other than aryian, he gained control. People didn't actually hate the jewish religion, they were just trying to "purify" their country. In other words they were brainwashed

In short, you cannot eliminate religion, yes religion causes wars, but most are either due to corruption or peoples inabilty to open their minds.
      [SIZE=4]KNOW NO PAIN,[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=4] KNOW NO FEAR[/SIZE]

jnifw3nloi wrote:

By education I do not only include teaching of facts, understanding of concepts and such but also critical thought and logic and reason. It is both very illogical and very unreasonable for someone to make descisions based on an unfounded claim such as religion. The inherent falsity, irrationality and unprovability of religion make it a destructive presence. One cannot claim to be both a devout follower of a religious faith and a logical and reasonable person. Faith and reason are mutually exclusive.
      As that friend of mine says, she knows there is no logical or scientific reason to believe what she does, but she bases her beliefs on her feelings and her desire. She likes believing it, and she feels it's right, so she does. I'd only call her illogical if she didn't realize that that's why she believes, and, rather, tried to justify it logically and/or scientifically.

mudafckr wrote:

In short, you cannot eliminate religion, yes religion causes wars, but most are either due to corruption or peoples inabilty to open their minds.
      Thank you. That's what I've been trying to say...although, I think I failed at it. >.>

~Maggot
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

If I'm not mistaken, God put us on here, giving us the free will to make our own choices.

Religion has caused war?
      I live in America, and we seem to get along with religion and its diversities just fine. You don't see Catholics fighting the Hindus on your street do you?

What other religions choose to do in other countries is there problem,
      but THEY are the ones abusing THEIR religion. My religion should not be abolished.

Angelwings411 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, God put us on here, giving us the free will to make our own choices.

Religion has caused war?
      I live in America, and we seem to get along with religion and its diversities just fine. You don't see Catholics fighting the Hindus on your street do you?

What other religions choose to do in other countries is there problem,
      but THEY are the ones abusing THEIR religion. My religion should not be abolished.

Because all religious wars are happening RIGHT NOW!

Yep, the Catholics never caused any war. Except of course for the insane amounts of gory death during the Crusades. Yep, entirely innocent there.

And it's not like many americans are shunning Muslims since 9/11 or anything. There's just the hate crimes against their families, you know, same ol' same ol'.

Not to mention the conflict in India and Pakistan and Bangledash with the Muslims and Hindus. That's pretty much nonexistent, yep yep!

Just give me a reason to continue. I'll whip out some history texts.

styrofoamcoffeecup wrote:

Because all religious wars are happening RIGHT NOW!

Yep, the Catholics never caused any war. Except of course for the insane amounts of gory death during the Crusades. Yep, entirely innocent there.

And it's not like many americans are shunning Muslims since 9/11 or anything. There's just the hate crimes against their families, you know, same ol' same ol'.

Not to mention the conflict in India and Pakistan and Bangledash with the Muslims and Hindus. That's pretty much nonexistent, yep yep!

Just give me a reason to continue. I'll whip out some history texts.

Like I said, other people's religions are their business, not mine.
      They do what ever the hell they want, but I don't participate in that.

And I'm sorry, but I wasn't around for the fucking crusades, so how the hell was I suppose to stop a war that happend 1000 years before my time?

Angelwings411 wrote:

Like I said, other people's religions are their business, not mine.
      They do what ever the hell they want, but I don't participate in that.

And I'm sorry, but I wasn't around for the fucking crusades, so how the hell was I suppose to stop a war that happend 1000 years before my time?

I will apologize for this, I jumped to the conclusion that you were ignoring wars that had already happened because of your tone.

And actually, this war in Iraq that's going on was STARTED by a branch of religious conflict. The government there is heavily influenced by the Muslim religion, which is very modest about every aspect of life. They view many Americans as immoral, seeing as our actions and fashion choices go directly against the teachings of the Qur'an. To use women as the main example, we bare our shoulders and *gasp* leave the house without a man sometimes!
      Extremists have just, as their name suggests, taken it to an extreme.

Also, religious conflict is more subtle than war sometimes, too.
      Catholicism and Protestant morals play a heavier part in the government than most would think and so on and so forth.
      Although there are a few Supreme Court cases that I remember that try and go on human rights backed up by...well, what seems moral in relation to life in general, rather than religion.