Any Advice For A Better Nights Sleep?

• Any Advice For A Better Nights Sleep?

My best friend is having troubles sleeping. She is up all night when i'm with her, and last night I woke up randomly at 5:30 in the morning, I texted her, and she was still up. She told me she has been taking sleeping pills, and they don't work for her. She tries staying up all night also, to see if she can fall asleep early the next night, that doesn't work either... Even when we do something tiring that day, she still can't sleep until 5 in the morning. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a better nights sleep? I really would hate for her to be having trouble sleeping when she goes back to school.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Re: Any Advice For A Better Nights Sleep?

How much caffeine does she drink on a regular basis? What does she normally do before she tries to sleep? She should try doing something relaxing, away form any electronic, such as reading, or meditating it may help calm her mind and body enough to let her get some sleep and make falling asleep easier. Taking some melatonin an hour before bed can help make falling asleep easier, and can help one stay asleep.
      “Sometimes the only way you can feel good about yourself is by making someone else look bad. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves.” ~ Homer Simpson

Maybe she should try cutting T.V. and texting out of her nightly ritual as they may cause her mind to be over active making it nearly impossible to sleep. She could try drinking so tea or something that normally relaxes her. I've also heard that writing in a journal before you go to bed helps relax the mind making it easier to sleep.
      “Sometimes the only way you can feel good about yourself is by making someone else look bad. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves.” ~ Homer Simpson

Yeah, I used to have a real problem with depression and anxiety attacks, it really started to affect my sleep, to the point where I was up for days on end. I found that writing a poem, even a super shitty one, before bed each night, then just putting on some music that fit my current mood really helped me get to sleep.

But I understand how hard it's gotta be for her to get to bed and how terrible she must feel when trying to make it through a day with no sleep. I really hope she's able to find something to help her sleep :)

candy van wrote:

smoke some weeeeeeeeeeeed.

lol

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

EmoBunny wrote:

Yeah, I used to have a real problem with depression and anxiety attacks, it really started to affect my sleep, to the point where I was up for days on end. I found that writing a poem, even a super shitty one, before bed each night, then just putting on some music that fit my current mood really helped me get to sleep.

But I understand how hard it's gotta be for her to get to bed and how terrible she must feel when trying to make it through a day with no sleep. I really hope she's able to find something to help her sleep :)

She is really, lets say, sassy and blunt, when she doesn't get sleep, and that gets her in trouble, i don't want to see her in trouble, or feeling like that. i want to see her happy and hyper with energy :D
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you have trouble sleeping, you're supposed to follow a few simple rules, which do and don't work for some people.

1/ Avoid any food or drinks with caffeine after around 8pm. Try and have water or hot chocolate.
      2/ Avoid anything that stimulates the brain for an hour before bed. So, no PC or TV or texting or watching DVD's or anything. Usually, it's suggested you read or listen to the radio, but nothing too upbeat, possibly a phone in show or easy listening.
      3/ Write down your thoughts for the day, As Cody, says, a journal is a good idea. Or, if that's too much or not wanted, you can write a list of things to do tomorrow. You can't do or solve anything on the night, so promise to yourself you will address these points tomorrow. If they're not addressed, they need to go on the list the following night for the next day.
      4/ Lavender is reported to relax you and help you sleep, as Patric has said, get a spray which probably has Lavender in it. You spray it over your pillows and in the room for a couple of seconds.
      5/ Hot milk is suggested to relax you as well, as is warm lemonade or Horlicks/Ovaltine

As I say, some might relate and others won't. But generally, it's caused by a little stress, and things on the mind that seem to need resolving. But, she can't resolve anything in the night, so if she agrees to deal with them in the morning, adds them to the list, and then tries to sleep, it should help.
      [SIZE=2]Aaron - [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Support Leader[/SIZE] :kiss:
      [LEFT]
      [RIGHT]-

Saradactyl;2086538 wrote:

Haha, Aaron. I wuv youuuu.
      [/RIGHT]
      [/LEFT]

i have trouble sleeping aswell... this has actually helped i think, i will try some of these tonight.. i think its the fact i cant just stop thinking, im always thinking too much and cant even slow it down

the only advice i can offer is do something incredibly tiring during the day, so much so that you just cant do anything other than sleep
      we all got troubles, we all got pain, we try to hang onto love, try to keep it the same, we all got issues, i put mine in my songs, sometimes im not fine but im carrying on

Has she had bad experiences of life in the past/present ? Or maybe.. Does she dream a lot? Because some people have brains/minds that tell themselves not to go to sleep as it knows that she will experience something bad in her dreams that night. If she is scared/fearing something in the past/present/future, then it is likely that her dreams will portrait those fears. After all, your dreams/nightmares are made up of your own thoughts. It's rare, but the minds works in mysterious ways sometimes :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mrs. Frazer ().

Her lack of sleep could be caused by something that may be stressing her out or maybe even the fact that she is caught up doing something else and doesn't even try to sleep until an indecent hour. If she makes sure that her house is completely quiet, and that her room is completely dark she may be able to sleep after a few hours..
      [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Seduce&Destroy[/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      You're sure you still wanna play this evil lil game?
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

LauraJane wrote:

Has she had bad experiences of life in the past/present ? Or maybe.. Does she dream a lot? Because some people have brains/minds that tell themselves not to go to sleep as it knows that she will experience something bad in her dreams that night. If she is scared/fearing something in the past/present/future, then it is likely that her dreams will portrait those fears. After all, your dreams/nightmares are made up of your own thoughts. It's rare, but the minds works in mysterious ways sometimes :D

she dreams but she doesnt remember them, unless her friend nick is in them.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

xo200mox wrote:

My best friend is having troubles sleeping. She is up all night when i'm with her, and last night I woke up randomly at 5:30 in the morning, I texted her, and she was still up. She told me she has been taking sleeping pills, and they don't work for her. She tries staying up all night also, to see if she can fall asleep early the next night, that doesn't work either... Even when we do something tiring that day, she still can't sleep until 5 in the morning. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a better nights sleep? I really would hate for her to be having trouble sleeping when she goes back to school.

Try this:

[FONT=&quot]If your mind is racing and you are having difficulty falling asleep, a few minutes of simple but effective breathing exercises can help calm your nervous system on a chemical level and lead to greater success in hitting the sack. The awareness and control of breath has been a central component of yoga, martial arts and Taoism for thousands of years. There are dozens of different methods and exercises you can explore through a good teacher or book. The practice of breath control in yoga is called pranayama. I'll detail a simple pranayama exercise here that is particularly effective for falling asleep called alternate nostril breathing (that's "nadi shodana" for the Sanskrit posse out there).

Alternate nostril breathing is a great way to clear obstructed nostrils, balance the yin and yang energy of the body and focusing the busy mind on the present for a deliberate and calming exercise. When our nostrils are unobstructed, we involuntarily alternate breathing through one or the other about every two hours. Breathing through your right nostril stimulates the left side of the brain (intellectual, analytical, rational thought) and prepares the body for physical action (yang energy). Breathing through your left nostril stimulates the right side of the brain (creative, emotional thought) and prepares the body for passive mental activity (yin energy). If both nostrils are not clear, breathing will become imbalanced and so will the energy in your body.

When you are feeling restless at bedtime, head outside (weather permitting obviously, but even in wintertime, you can certainly spend a couple minutes on a balcony or porch in brisk air), sit in a comfortable chair and begin the exercise. You will likely have a really hard time focusing your mind on only the breathing exercise. Establish a rule that whenever your mind wanders away from the breathing exercise to other random thoughts, you have to start over. With practice, you'll develop the esteemed ability to relax and center -- not just to calm the mind for bed but any time the stresses of life are closing in.

Alternate nostril breathing is performed as follows: Take one hand up to your face for blocking nostrils. For example, your right thumb will close off your right nostril while your right index or middle finger will close off your left nostril. Block off the right nostril and inhale fully (notice how your inhale and exhale will be slower since you are only using one nostril). Pause at the completion of your inhale and switch nostrils by using your finger to block the left nostril and releasing your thumb from the right nostril. Exhale through the right nostril, inhale through the right nostril, then pause and switch to exhale through the left nostril. Thus, you switch nostrils in the middle of the breath cycle. To complete a cycle of 10 breaths, count each inhale/exhale as one. After your complete your breathing session, you can return to bed with a calm brain and hopefully induce a good night's sleep.[/FONT]

:wink: