"metal"

• Re: "metal"

Although they are not "metal" they are in a sub genre of metal making them part of the metal category of music. There are so many sub genres of metal, Metal core, Christian Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Fantasy Metal...so on and so on. So by your definition of metal, then no band in any of these metal categories would be considered metal? What do you consider, Kill Whitney Dead, The Devil Wears Prada, Closed Casket Requiem, As I lay Dying...I can go on but I wont. I classify all of these bands as metal although they represent different types of metal they are all in the metal genre. So bands in the Nu metal genre are still metal although they might not be as heavy as you would like.

Oh and Jimmy Page is one of the best Guitarists who ever lived! Led Zeppelin has a lot of blues influence on their music but they made it pretty heavy at times. But if you want to argue about the history of metal you could say the Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Metallica are the forefathers of "metal" as it is currently known.
      What I should have said was...Nothing!

DamnImGood wrote:

They're mistakenly put in the sub genre of metal. That's the whole thing. Also, subgenres such as "Christian metal" and "fantasy metal" are not real subgenres, just like "love metal" and "war metal" are not either (but commonly labeled as such).

Then according to you what are they? And where are you getting your definition of the genre of "Metal" music. Because I would like to know how you define metal music. It seems to me that the main part of this argument is about semantics. In the first post the op said that the bands he listed were "Nu-metal" which would technically be a sub genre of metal, making them metal by default. If he wanted to classify them as a different genre of music maybe he should have labeled them as "Modern Rock" or "Heavy Rock". Being as Rock is a different and more broad genre of music.

DamnImGood wrote:

None of the bands you listed are metal. Also, metal doesn't necessarily mean heavy. Just because a band is heavy does not make it metal. There are plenty of deathcore and metalcore bands that are pretty fucking heavy, but that doesn't make them metal.

If those bands weren't metal what would you classify them as? Because to me they represent different forms of the sub genres of metal. And in contrast to "just because a band is heavy doesn't make it metal" one could argue that in order for a band to be considered in the genre of metal it has to have a degree of heavy-ness, I mean you don't consider Boston metal do you (not that Boston is a bad band, they just aren't metal)?

DamnImGood wrote:

If you were to go to Metal Archives and tell them Killwhitneydead is metal, they'd laugh your ass out the door.

I'm sure you believe that.
      What I should have said was...Nothing!

LOLFag wrote:

Metallica is the embodiment of metal. After all, the metal genre was derived from Metallica's name.

No, the term "heavy metal" was already in widespread use before metallica even formed. Metallica got their name from the genre, not the other way around.

And about metalcore: I used to think it was crap and not metal at all, but then I thought of something that made me change my mind. Most critics of metalcore say that it isn't metal because it combines metal with hardcore.
      But how did thrash metal come to be? The same way. In the 80's, the Bay Area thrash scene got started when a few pioneer bands combined the heavy riffs of metal with the speed of hardcore punk, and created one of the greatest metal subgenres ever.
      So if metalcore isn't metal, then neither is thrash, and subsequently neither is death metal or black metal, which both evolved from thrash. Obviously that isn't true, so metalcore is a sub-genre of metal. After all, As I Lay Dying and All that Remains are both metalcore and both in Metal Archives. So is Lamb of God.

Nu-metal, on the other hand, is a crapfest and obviously not metal, not even worth mentioning really since Slipknot and Korn are the only two nu-metal bands that anyone even cares about anymore.

Metalhead789 wrote:

And about metalcore: I used to think it was crap and not metal at all, but then I thought of something that made me change my mind. Most critics of metalcore say that it isn't metal because it combines metal with hardcore.

Hmm, good point. I think that actually makes sense. Some of the subgenres of metal came intro fruition from the incorporation of other genres.

Pretty much the only reason why metalcore isn't widely accepted in the metal community is because of their fans, most likely. Thrash has a certain sound to it, same as metalcore. Heck some kinds of metal like sludge and drone are even played slow! Which you'd think that wouldn't be classified as metal because the genre isn't usually played slowly.

Riddle me this, though : If thrash and metalcore suddenly changed fanbases, and their origins were completely different, would thrash be considered not metal?

The post was edited 1 time, last by gardenhead ().

DamnImGood wrote:

They're mistakenly put in the sub genre of metal. That's the whole thing. Also, subgenres such as "Christian metal" and "fantasy metal" are not real subgenres, just like "love metal" and "war metal" are not either (but commonly labeled as such).

None of the bands you listed are metal. Also, metal doesn't necessarily mean heavy. Just because a band is heavy does not make it metal. There are plenty of deathcore and metalcore bands that are pretty fucking heavy, but that doesn't make them metal.

If you were to go to Metal Archives and tell them Killwhitneydead is metal, they'd laugh your ass out the door.

exactly what ive been trying to say.

MetalHead789 wrote:

Nu-metal, on the other hand, is a crapfest and obviously not metal, not even worth mentioning really since Slipknot and Korn are the only two nu-metal bands that anyone even cares about anymore.

THANK YOU.

Why cant everyone just shut up! Why cant everyone agree that any metal in any shape or form is great, but if you dont like a certain band just dont listen to them. You dont need to complain about the annoying 12 year old fanboys all the time, We all defend metal with intensity, so why cant anyone else with thier choice of music? I guess im just tierd of everybody arguing. " slipknot? thats not real metal thats for pussies, up the irons man!" that gets really fucking annoying.
      MAGGOT 4 LIFE

pitfll1214 wrote:

Why cant everyone just shut up! Why cant everyone agree that any metal in any shape or form is great, but if you dont like a certain band just dont listen to them. You dont need to complain about the annoying 12 year old fanboys all the time, We all defend metal with intensity, so why cant anyone else with thier choice of music? I guess im just tierd of everybody arguing. " slipknot? thats not real metal thats for pussies, up the irons man!" that gets really fucking annoying.

Up the irons.
      [CENTER].::ANIME is DOPAMINE to me::.

[/CENTER]