Backing stuff up?

• Re: Backing stuff up?

I personally just move all my files to a partition on the HDD that won't be touched during installation. Though If you don't have a 2nd HDD or a 2nd partition I'd used DVD-RWs to store my data. There is programs to backup, such as the deafult Backup system that comes with Windows.. But I just prefer to backup things myself so I know what I've backed up and where I put it.

DomGTR wrote:

Buy an external hard drive

I dont think that is necesary to spend money...

If you have 2 partition (or HDDs), just backup everithing on the partition where are not instaled Windows. During installation just select the system partition (usualy C:) and format. (Or just delete and create again thist partition). Go to Program Files, look at folder of your favourit programs and backup some configs or history (icq, other IM clients, ... ) backup emails ... ...

If you dont have 2 partitions you have two options:
      1. If you have enough free space, you can create one using partition program (GParted etc.) and follow the text i wrote earlier.

2. Burn everithing on DVDs (you can use DVD-RW)

External hard drives are very convenient, and not that expensive these days. You can pick up a decent speed 1tb external HD for about $200, last time I checked.

That's my advice... if you're going to waste the money to use DVDs (which can only be used once), it's probably going to cost as much as buying a reuseable external of the same size...
      Not to mention, the DVDs can get scratched, and you then have a massive number of DVDs... and if ONE gets lost... -_-"
      [SIZE=4]<<33 When you break convention, you create convention and you become convention. Be happy with who you are, but never content. <<33[/SIZE]

I personally just move all my files to a partition on the HDD that won't be touched during installation. Though If you don't have a 2nd HDD or a 2nd partition I'd used DVD-RWs to store my data. There is programs to backup, such as the deafult Backup system that comes with Windows.. But I just prefer to backup things myself so I know what I've backed up and where I put it.
      External hard drives are very convenient, and not that expensive these days. You can pick up a decent speed 1tb external HD for about $200, last time I checked.
      OR
      That's my advice... if you're going to waste the money to use DVDs (which can only be used once), it's probably going to cost as much as buying a reuseable external of the same size...
      Not to mention, the DVDs can get scratched, and you then have a massive number of DVDs... and if ONE gets lost... -_-"
      OR
      I dont think that is necesary to spend money...

If you have 2 partition (or HDDs), just backup everithing on the partition where are not instaled Windows. During installation just select the system partition (usualy C and format. (Or just delete and create again thist partition). Go to Program Files, look at folder of your favourit programs and backup some configs or history (icq, other IM clients, ... ) backup emails ... ...

If you dont have 2 partitions you have two options:
      1. If you have enough free space, you can create one using partition program (GParted etc.) and follow the text i wrote earlier.

2. Burn everithing on DVDs (you can use DVD-RW)
      OR
      Buy an external hard drive :D
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]