Abortion: let's get a real debate going

• Re: Abortion: let's get a real debate going

More than one-third of all teenage pregnancies in the U.S. end in abortion. The vast majority of teenage pregnancies are unintended, and close to half of those unintended pregnancies end in an abortion. Teens may choose to have an abortion because they have concerns about how a baby would change their lives (for example, completing their education), they worry about financial problems, or they feel that they are not mature enough to become a parent. Abortion levels can decline if the high rate of unintended pregnancies is reduced or if more pregnant teens carry their pregnancy to term.

Lili wrote:

More than one-third of all teenage pregnancies in the U.S. end in abortion. The vast majority of teenage pregnancies are unintended, and close to half of those unintended pregnancies end in an abortion. Teens may choose to have an abortion because they have concerns about how a baby would change their lives (for example, completing their education), they worry about financial problems, or they feel that they are not mature enough to become a parent. Abortion levels can decline if the high rate of unintended pregnancies is reduced or if more pregnant teens carry their pregnancy to term.
      No, no, no. Give me a link to a reliable source saying that the majority of abortions are teenagers. (Saying 1/3 of teenage pregnancies end in abortion isn't the same.)

~Maggot
      [size=3]Oh! why is phrensy called a curse?
      I deem the sense of misery worse:
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

DamnImGood wrote:

Simply put, it would be rather difficult to file a fake rape report and get away with it.

Police work only goes so far, and the rape kits aren't effective after 72 hours or less with a shower.

It just seems like a too big of a lie to carry through with successfully. Once you declare you've been raped, the people around you change.

I'd imagine it'd be easier to lie about it until everyone forgets than to have a child and raise it for 18 years.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Plenty of false rape reports are made, trust me. I know lots of girls that have done it. I can't even begin to imagine how much that number would increase if abortion was legalised only in cases of rape. I shudder to think of all the innocent men that would go to jail just because women felt they needed to take advantage of laws made that didn't protect them like they should.

~Maggot
      [size=3]Oh! why is phrensy called a curse?
      I deem the sense of misery worse:
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

Goddess of Judecca wrote:

Plenty of false rape reports are made, trust me. I know lots of girls that have done it. I can't even begin to imagine how much that number would increase if abortion was legalised only in cases of rape. I shudder to think of all the innocent men that would go to jail just because women felt they needed to take advantage of laws made that didn't protect them like they should.

~Maggot

I probably should have mentioned that I had a friend falsely accused of rape. I know it's "original research" and not really valid to discussion on a whole, but it shows that it still happens even nowadays.

DamnImGood wrote:

Was it intentional or misinformation?

Intentional. She was an ex or something along those lines. It became actually pretty serious, he was interrogated by the police and everything. Never had to stand trial, thankfully the lie was out before that, but it was still pretty serious.

People need to learn how to use birth control. If you get an abortion within 1 to 4 weeks of being pregnant than I don't have a problem with it its just a clump of cells. Rape victims should be allowed an abortion but there needs to be a limit on them though some women have had over 5 thats just sick get your fucking tubes tied.
      If your having girl problems I feel bad for you son
      Read my guide here and you won't have none

I feel as though abortion IS wrong. No matter if you want to call it a fetus, a bundle of cells or an actual human being. It still will grow to be a human being in a matter of months and who knows that "fetus" could become the next world changer. I see it as fi you were old enough to have sex then you are responsible to take care of the child that was resulted. If you were raped then there is the morning after pill which apart from typical beliefs that it is abortion is actually just a hormone that prevents the sperm from attaching to the egg and preventing fertilization to take place. Just because you get pregnant doesn't mean you can shirk your responsibilities. Think about if your mom had decided to abort you. You would never be able to have lived the life that you have thus far. It is not only immoral but it is unjust. Grow up and take care of the kid or put it up for adoption simple as that. Because no matter what that fertilized egg is a human and it is sad that so many people have desensitized themselves to the subject and made themselves believe that the egg is not really a human life.

LordOfTheBooks wrote:

Simply put in my mind is this:

Abortion is wrong UNLESS the women is raped and does not want the child (I mean who would?), or if it is to save the mothers life. If you just happen to forget a condom and bam a kid live with it either raise the kid or send it off for adoption. I prefer the raising it but not all do in this instance.

This.

If you were raped then there is the morning after pill which apart from typical beliefs that it is abortion is actually just a hormone that prevents the sperm from attaching to the egg and preventing fertilization to take place.

The morning after pill works after conception from what I've been told (and this was by people that came in to talk to us specifically about abortion). At conception many things have already been decided about the baby to be, such as gender. The morning after pill is taken without people really thinking about what they're doing.

People need to learn how to use birth control. If you get an abortion within 1 to 4 weeks of being pregnant than I don't have a problem with it its just a clump of cells.

This is what a foetus looks like after 4-5weeks:

It is more than just 'a clump of cells'.
      Jayden.

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church." ~Frank Lloyd Wright.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SubtleInFiction ().

liveloverockon wrote:

If you were raped then there is the morning after pill which apart from typical beliefs that it is abortion is actually just a hormone that prevents the sperm from attaching to the egg and preventing fertilization to take place.
      I'll tell you what. Once the morning after pill becomes 100% effective, then your particular argument may hold some water.

SubtleInFiction wrote:

The morning after pill works after conception from what I've been told (and this was by people that came in to talk to us specifically about abortion). At conception many things have already been decided about the baby to be, such as gender. The morning after pill is taken without people really thinking about what they're doing.
      Pretty sure only a handful of scientists believe that the morning after pill works subsequent fertilization. The pill is a form of contraception.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pretty sure only a handful of scientists believe that the morning after pill works subsequent fertilization. The pill is a form of contraception

I stand corrected. Just had a proper look on the Internet, apparently it prevents the release of an egg from the ovaries. However it isn't considered a form of contraception, it's to be used 'where contraception failed'.
      Jayden.

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church." ~Frank Lloyd Wright.

IndySkater8763 wrote:

LOL. You, my friend, is obviously confused. The left support abortion, however the right are against it. Let me put this in political terms for you: The democrats support abortion whereas the republicans are against it. Abortion is legal if it is for the following two things: Rape and Incest. If it doesn't fall into those two categories; then it's illegal. Morally, abortion is wrong. Legally, it's well just legal. The problem with today's society is that people in general want to have sex but don't want to face the consequences of sex. Whereas, I will stand by abortion if it's indeed rape or incest. However, I am against it if doesn't fit in with those two things.

I completely agree!
      In my opinion, abortion is wrong. God put people on this earth to live a life and be faithful. Not be evil and be a murderer. When your doing an abortion, your actually killing your baby. Your not killing the baby in an evil way such as shooting it or stabbing it, but your killing the baby in a more medical way. I feel that abortion should be illegal. The only time people should get abortions is if they were raped or incest. If your a teen and you chose to have sex without a condom and eventually got pregnant, you should be responsible for the baby. You shouldn't take the easy way out and kill your baby. We all know what happens when you have sex without a condom. People shouldn't be getting girls pregnant just for fun. You have the morning after pill if you make a mistake. Why should you wait until your 6 weeks to finally decide "Hey, I want an abortion." No. I think that's wrong. I think that's evil. If you get pregnant, you should have the baby. Once you have the baby you can then give the baby up for adoption. Humans must not be murderers! God do not like ugly. He didn't put humans on this earth to kill.

RyanxD wrote:

He didn't put humans on this earth to kill.

"More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason."
      - George Carlin
      "I've never understood ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth."
      - George Carlin

Striker88;1062839033 wrote:

You know why nobody has gotten evidence? God hasn't allowed that and won't.

RyanxD wrote:

I completely agree!
      In my opinion, abortion is wrong. God put people on this earth to live a life and be faithful. Not be evil and be a murderer. When your doing an abortion, your actually killing your baby. Your not killing the baby in an evil way such as shooting it or stabbing it, but your killing the baby in a more medical way. I feel that abortion should be illegal. The only time people should get abortions is if they were raped or incest. If your a teen and you chose to have sex without a condom and eventually got pregnant, you should be responsible for the baby. You shouldn't take the easy way out and kill your baby. We all know what happens when you have sex without a condom. People shouldn't be getting girls pregnant just for fun. You have the morning after pill if you make a mistake. Why should you wait until your 6 weeks to finally decide "Hey, I want an abortion." No. I think that's wrong. I think that's evil. If you get pregnant, you should have the baby. Once you have the baby you can then give the baby up for adoption. Humans must not be murderers! God do not like ugly. He didn't put humans on this earth to kill.

Not a bad argument in the scheme of things. Are you able to justify banning abortion without reference to a deity though? If something is intrinsically bad then we should be able to recognise it without referring to the values of an external source, wouldn't you agree?
      [CENTER][COLOR="Green"]If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
      [/COLOR][/CENTER]

hann<3 wrote:

i'm am aganist abortion EXCEPT when rape or incest is involved or when the mother is in danger. IF abortion were to become legal i think there should be a limit on how many fetuses (idk if thats right) could be aborted. ex: After 2 abortions you cannot have an abortion unless rape/incest/danger to the mother is involved. This would prevent women who are constanly getting knocked up from abusing the system.

(Just going to use this one as an example, nothing personal)

Know what genuinely intrigues me? The amount of people who voted that abortion should be allowed in certain circumstances. I really think it's the case that most of you guys haven't thought this through fully: abortion is either murder or it is not murder. If it is murder, then it doesn't become justified just because it increases the health or mental state of women; it doesn't become justified if the pregnancy is caused by rape or incest; it doesn't become justified because the embryo is a parasite. If it is not murder, then what do the circumstances matter? No wrong is being done anyway.

You can't cowardly take the neutral middle-ground this way I'm afraid, ladies and gentlemen: either abortion is murder or it is not. I would be interested to hear a valid argument for why abortion is acceptable in any circumstances if it is murder, or why it is unacceptable in any circumstances if it isn't murder.

Personally, I don't know. I've long since rejected the claims that it is murder to kill human cells, or murder to destroy the potential for life. The issue I have is that, at some point, an embryo clearly does "become" a baby, and perceptions of that point vary massively. Up to that point, I see no reason why abortion shouldn't be allowed, but I'm afraid that I have no idea where that point is.

Oh, and we all know (or rather should know) that it is perfectly possible to become pregnant even if we're on a couple of different contraceptives. The fact of that matter is that sex produces babies, and so a pregnancy should never come as a complete surprise (unless you're not sexually active and your other half's been wanking in the bath and you share bathwater, I suppose). So, simply saying "shoulda used a johnny" is not appropriate and, given the possible outcome, consent to sex essentially implies a willingless to become pregnant.