My Dad's Argument

• My Dad's Argument

So i confronted my Dad and asked him what he thought about Teen Depression including things like Suicide and Cutting. His responce was

"It's all for attention and what you teens don't get is that if you're 'hated' or have no freind you instantly want to give up life and don't realise that it all wont matter years from now."

I hadn't the energy to argue with him nor did i tell him about my depression that ended recently. I personally think... Bull Shit... I didn't do it for attention.. and what he doesn't get is life with no social aspects sucks ass. What are your thoughts?
      [CENTER]~In a world that i dont want to know~
      ~With a message that i never want to send~
      ~To be free from all of this~
      ~I want you to quicken my end~
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: My Dad's Argument

teen depression is bullshit for the most part. I'm not talking about clinically depressed, I'm talking about the retarded emo people who live in a nice house, get fed well and go to a good school, but still think their life is meaningless because of bullshit reasons.

Cutting is retarded...it's like the most failed suicide attempt ever. I think a lot of people who cut do it for attention...whether they really want to die and get attention after the fact, or they don't want to die. (not sure if that made sense, but it did in my head).

suicide is not the answer and if your'e really depressed than you should go see someone about it.

Phuck Buddy wrote:

teen depression is bullshit for the most part. I'm not talking about clinically depressed, I'm talking about the retarded emo people who live in a nice house, get fed well and go to a good school, but still think their life is meaningless because of bullshit reasons.

Cutting is retarded...it's like the most failed suicide attempt ever. I think a lot of people who cut do it for attention...whether they really want to die and get attention after the fact, or they don't want to die. (not sure if that made sense, but it did in my head).

suicide is not the answer and if your'e really depressed than you should go see someone about it.

Instead of writing out my own response, I'm stealing yours Phuck Buddy, but adding:
      It's true, everything that happens now: relationships, friends, arguments, etc won't matter when you actually grow up and live on your own.

Well,
      I have depression because it is genetic in my family number one,
      mine doesn't go away, and I certainly don't choose to have that on my shoulders..

Two, I have cut and you know what, I'm not proud of that,
      but parents can be soo damn blind sometimes..
      They are always like, "you teens need to grow up."
      When really they are the ones who need to get bumped into reality and realize we aren't perfect..

I don't think its all stupid, but their is a fine line between needing help and just whining. I just think that people who cut need to realize that they are literally not letting out pain. The pain is in your emotions and mentality, not in the blood in your veins. Cutting does you no good what so ever.

Well your dad's opinion sounds very thoughtless. He would have no idea what teen depression really is like. There is a difference between knowing the meaning of the word, and actually knowing what it is all about. Sure... things become a bit unbalanced in the head as you go through your teenage years, but some things are very valid problems that would put you over the edge if you were in such cases.
      I might have caught myself being upset for attention, but they all have reasons, like the reason why we have sympathy for the person that is upset.

Cutting is a serious issue. I have had friends over the Internet that could very well be doing it now, and some I hope have stopped. Some people have trouble knowing what to do when their friends tell them that they cut.
      Cutting is a way of distracting the emotional pain that you have with some physical pain. It can become addictive too, so it isn't a good thing to start. I have read through a story of someone who would go to the girls room during class to cut herself, just to make herself feel better. Such things aren't going to be solved when you say it is all for attention, or is stupid. You tell someone who cuts that, and they will label you ignorant and thoughtless.

RachelRae. wrote:

I don't know what chemical cutting releases, but it does relieve your "hurt."

Meh. I don't believe in it, but I know that some people cut because it makes them "feel" better, nto because of attention.

I think the chemical was called Endorphins. Some might cut even deeper into themselves to get some more of that, but you could put yourself at risk of infection, nick a blood vain (which might kill you), and usually just having a history of cutting leaves behinds scars. The scars themselves can make you feel worse about that area of your body, and it also feels like people might judge you for it. It is like wearing a cowboy hat around the place, but more subtle, and more self-concious.

Phuck Buddy wrote:

I have always said that things like suicide are a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If that helps among saying other things, then the next step would be to actually encourage the person enough to actually get them to see someone about it. Not everyone finds it easy to just see someone about it, especially if you have trouble admitting you need to talk to someone, need help, or are worth it (but every life should be worth it).

Jay_JWLH wrote:

I have always said that things like suicide are a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If that helps among saying other things, then the next step would be to actually encourage the person enough to actually get them to see someone about it. Not everyone finds it easy to just see someone about it, especially if you have trouble admitting you need to talk to someone, need help, or are worth it (but every life should be worth it).

Jay_JWLH wrote:

Well your dad's opinion sounds very thoughtless. He would have no idea what teen depression really is like. There is a difference between knowing the meaning of the word, and actually knowing what it is all about. Sure... things become a bit unbalanced in the head as you go through your teenage years, but some things are very valid problems that would put you over the edge if you were in such cases.
      I might have caught myself being upset for attention, but they all have reasons, like the reason why we have sympathy for the person that is upset.

Cutting is a serious issue. I have had friends over the Internet that could very well be doing it now, and some I hope have stopped. Some people have trouble knowing what to do when their friends tell them that they cut.
      Cutting is a way of distracting the emotional pain that you have with some physical pain. It can become addictive too, so it isn't a good thing to start. I have read through a story of someone who would go to the girls room during class to cut herself, just to make herself feel better. Such things aren't going to be solved when you say it is all for attention, or is stupid. You tell someone who cuts that, and they will label you ignorant and thoughtless.

You are right on everything....I totally agree with you....:thumbsup::clap:

RachelRae wrote:

^^ This guy [or Laydee? :x] sure knows his stuff.

Ya rachel he surely knows his stuffs...I guess you must be saying that for Jay?? Well said then....
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]