My cd drive

• Re: My cd drive

Run Device Manager to see if there's any conflicts.

Vista
      Start > (In search type) Device Manager

I can't remember the way on XP off the top of my head..It should say if the device is working IF it can see it, if it can't see it there's a weird change it may not be connected. Um, chances are its plugged in correctly and hopefuly Device Manager will tell you if there's anything wrong. Autorun disables sometimes when you install something like PowerISO (I read that somewhere, I find it annoying to be honest).. Um, you can change that via regedit but that isn't recommended unless you know what and how to do it.

Basically what everybody above said, but it would make life loads easier if you would give more specifics on your problem. Does the CD drive not show up in My Computer at all or is it just when you put a CD in, the icon doesn't change? Because those are two completely different issues.
      [SIZE=4]"A man can do any amount of work, granted it's not the work he's supposed to be doing."[/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=3][SIZE=2] -I completely forget who said this[/SIZE][/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

Ok so that would mean the drive doesn't show up in My Computer at all, which (kind of counter-intuitively) is the better option, because if it showed up and didn't change when you inserted a CD the drive might be broken and you might have to buy another one. In this case all you need is a little bit of software and you'll be good to go. Look up the computer manufacturer's website (eg. dell.com if it's a dell) and see if you can find a "download drivers" page. Depending on who makes your computer, there will be some sort of way to tell it what model you have and from there you should be able to install the cd-rom driver that you need.

Other option is if you know the name of the company that makes the CD drive you can look up their website which should also offer the driver for download somewhere.

Also, for learning purposes, a "driver" is something that your computer uses so that the hardware (in this case your CD drive) can talk properly to your software (Windows). Because it's in-between hardware and software it can also be called "firmware".
      [SIZE=4]"A man can do any amount of work, granted it's not the work he's supposed to be doing."[/SIZE][SIZE=4][SIZE=3][SIZE=2] -I completely forget who said this[/SIZE][/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

The post was edited 2 times, last by sharkie13 ().