help building muscle

• Re: help building muscle

kay first....eat alot....like EAT a bunch of food..dont worry if you think tis unhealthy just eat.....and fater you ahve started that start working out...first start with maybe a 2-hour work out...every other day..then reduce to like 1 1/2 hour..trust me worked for me...
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE=4]
      True Love is like a ghost, what everybody talks about but very few have seen <3
      [/SIZE]

Here are the things that are key to your success gaining muscle:

Patience
      Effort
      Diet

Diet is extremely important, if you want to gain muscle you have to provide the materials for your body to make it, that means lots of protein, if you cant be bothered to set up a proper diet, just keep eating what your eating now, but eat alot more of it, and aim more at lean means like chicken breasts and tuna and lay off the snacks a bit or youll just end up fat eating so much.

Effort, you need to make an effort and work out hard, and rest properly aswell, dont lift every day, you wont go anywhere. You also should do your research, read up, if you understand what you need to do to improve your physique, you will make alot better progress. Lift heavy weights and do low reps, 8-12 reps a set is fine, you could even do less than that if necessary.

Its also worth warming up and stretching properly before you lift as an injury could mean a major set back, i dislocated my shoulder over a year ago and it still gives me trouble from time to time. I have to lift light on overhead presses because although my right arm can hack it, my left shoulder often fails me and i end up dropping the weight even though the muscles are strong enough, the joint goes.

Patience, dont expect to get ripped in a couple of weeks, it isnt going to happen, infact youll probably hardly notice anything in the first few weeks, youve got to stick to your routine and keep working and working, the more i'm doing this the more i realise body building and strength training is a game of patience, the guys with those greek god like bodies havent built them in 3 months, or even 6 months, theyve built them over years.

Ive been seriously bulking since before the summer, and ive put on about a stone, maybe a tad more, as i can hardly remember my exact weight but i get the feeling i was kidding myself a bit when i said i weighed 10.5 stone, i think that was at the end of a day with a full stomach, hydrated and with some clothes on. When i wake up in the morning now, with no clothes on, aka my absolute lightest i weigh 11.5 stone dead, in other words ive gone from 147 pounds at my heaviest to 161 pounds at my lightest in about 5-6 months.

My long term target is to break 200 pounds without letting my bodyfat get out of control, when i started i thought i could put that kind of weight on np, the more i do this, the more i realise it's going to take years to achieve.

and on a side note, you cant just pick and choose muscles to build and ignore the rest, you focus on your chest to much and youll look like an ape, and big biceps look crap without triceps anyway as biceps make up about 1/3 of your upper arm, a better way to get big arms would be to get big triceps, the best way would be to get big both, to have a big chest you need a big back to balance it, and to have big arms you need to have big shoulders or youll look ridiculous, to have good ab's you need a low bodyfat, which means a good diet, and if you have a big upper body you need a big lower body or you WILL look stupid.

STAY AWAY FROM THE SUPPLEMENTS! Especially creatine. Supplements will make you feel great, but will do absolutely nothing for you. The best way to start building muscle is by jogging. After maybe a week or so of this, start with weight training. Look up the core lifts online (bench, squat, dead lift, power clean) and get to your local gym to start them. Remember to ALWAYS have a spotter, as you should be using enough weight so that your eighth ninth and tenth repetition in each set should be so hard that he/she has to help you. Also remember, its not where you start with weights (don't try to lift a million pounds the first try) its where you finish, within a few weeks you will notice huge improvements. (at the start of my football season i was benching 45, two or three weeks later i was at 100) Building muscle is supposed to be fun, don't act like you have to do it. Do it because it's fun.

if you want a good starting regime, check out rippetoes starting strength.

its a strength training regime but you will gain mass if you eat and you will get ALOT stronger.

oh and stick to compound exercises, people who spend hours doing biceps curls and skull crushers fail, get plenty of tricep exercise from presses and plenty of bicep from pull's. rowing and benching will do your arms fine and you will develope the rest of your torso in the process.

and use free weight's, machines arent as good, but make sure you use good form and have a spotter so you dont hurt yourself.

protein supplements are good, especialy post exercise, DEFINAETLY worth getting, plain old pure creatine monohydrate it as it does make a difference in my experience, not a huge one but some, and its dirt cheap but wouldnt bother with any of the miracle powders and similar.

As well as all this you should check out some bodybuilding sites.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Sharkbait wrote:

and on a side note, you cant just pick and choose muscles to build and ignore the rest, you focus on your chest to much and youll look like an ape, and big biceps look crap without triceps anyway as biceps make up about 1/3 of your upper arm, a better way to get big arms would be to get big triceps, the best way would be to get big both, to have a big chest you need a big back to balance it, and to have big arms you need to have big shoulders or youll look ridiculous, to have good ab's you need a low bodyfat, which means a good diet, and if you have a big upper body you need a big lower body or you WILL look stupid.

Far too many people seem to think it's all abbs/biceps/chest.

I literally get a few guys a week asking how to get a V taper, and every one of them look at me like I'm stupid when I get them to work their back and delts.
      Not to mention getting them to work legs, all of then say "Na my legs are big enough for now".
      FFFFUUUU!!! You have the legs of a two year old!!!!

O and I cry just a little inside when a guy has bi's bigger than their delts.

jordan132;1506655 wrote:

when i joined guys privacy i figured there would be nothing here except a hole in the wall to peak into the girls privacy

weights, weights, weights....running helps too!

be sure to maintain a balenced diet. protein (red meat), vegatables, fruits, carbs (engery). avoid any form of junk food.

but probably the most important thing is how you workout. as a girl i work out differently then a guy would (because no girl wants to be built like a man!)...our trainers at school usually have us (the girls) go for moderate weight but lots of repitions (we're talking like 4 sets, 20 reps a piece) for guys its usually the opposite, heavier weight, less repitions. be sure to stretch very well. in my opinion the best way to warm up/stretch is to stretch all your legs muslces first (calves...but espically your quads and hamstrings) then run/jog. if you dont run on a regular basis then start with a 1/2 mile (it can sound like alot but it really isnt) then once you get done running stretch again, this time including your arms. after you get done workingout/lifting stretch again to retain flexibilty.

_Frank_ wrote:

Not to mention getting them to work legs, all of then say "Na my legs are big enough for now".
      FFFFUUUU!!! You have the legs of a two year old!!!!

quote]

yeh, its crazy, legs are the thing that everyone neglects, even though theyre a major source of your strength, not to mention the fact a guy with a huge upper body looks absolutely ridiculous on match sticks.

when i screwed off the cycling and moved onto weight lifting, i thought i had pretty big leg's especialy compared to the rest of me, but i didnt skip them because i knew i could get extra mass off working them out aswell. Plus i knew they wouldnt look so big compared to the rest of me after my upper body had grown a bit.
      They look completely different now aswell, because with cycling certain muscles get worked out tonnes and certain ones are neglected, so i had huge quads and glutes and nothin else, since ive been lifting and doing considerably more sprinting, muscles have started appearing that werent visible before.

i put on a suite that fit me very well 6 months ago, and i couldnt get my leg's in the pants, never mind my waist.

Jack wrote:

just eat and eat, then 15 push ups glass of milk another 15, 15 sit ups glass of milk 15 push ups keep doing this 3 times aweek this is my routine and it works ;)

o rly, doesn't look like it ^^ (avi). But anyways, u have to eat like a horse, increase your protein intake, too. U should also devise a proper workout plan, and maybe supplement. :)

MasterpieceMesias wrote:

o rly, doesn't look like it ^^ (avi). But anyways, u have to eat like a horse, increase your protein intake, too. U should also devise a proper workout plan, and maybe supplement. :)

I would not be talking it looks like you have 12" arms :rofl:

Ok first most you need to eat. One of my favorite quotes about growing is "If you weigh 120lbs and you want to weigh 180lbs you need to eat like a 180lb person" Join a gym, body weight exercises are only good for a while for muscle building. You need to hit the compound lifts (bench, squat, dead lift, and military press) and do them correctly. Don't get so caught up in (I only want abs and biceps) do those 4 lifts and your whole body will get bigger and stronger.

TheBandit wrote:

STAY AWAY FROM THE SUPPLEMENTS! Especially creatine. Supplements will make you feel great, but will do absolutely nothing for you. The best way to start building muscle is by jogging. After maybe a week or so of this, start with weight training. Look up the core lifts online (bench, squat, dead lift, power clean) and get to your local gym to start them. Remember to ALWAYS have a spotter, as you should be using enough weight so that your eighth ninth and tenth repetition in each set should be so hard that he/she has to help you. Also remember, its not where you start with weights (don't try to lift a million pounds the first try) its where you finish, within a few weeks you will notice huge improvements. (at the start of my football season i was benching 45, two or three weeks later i was at 100) Building muscle is supposed to be fun, don't act like you have to do it. Do it because it's fun.

*breathes in*
      !!!BULLSHIT!!!

Now that that's over...

Seriously. Do you know anything about building muscle? AT ALL? Creatine is a great supplement. In fact, if you're going to take anything, take it and ignore protein powders. You can get your energy and protein from eating (that's by far the best way). Also, jogging is not the best way to start building muscle! Jogging burns the energy you need to build muscle (for mass based muscle building). What he needs to do is find a strength/mass based program (e.g. Rippetoe's Starting strength or Strongman 5x5). For beginners, compound exercises are key. You were right mentioning the main exercises. Having a partner is also the best. To help motivate. And when building mass you'll be lifting heavy. So you won't always be able to complete a rep.

So basically:

-Eat a lot! But do your best to eat healthy! Chicken, red meat, fish, sphagetti, etc. (non-processed)
      -Join a gym (prefered) or buy weight set (bar based, have to be able to at least squat, deadlift, bench and row)
      -Get a partner
      -Fine a proper workout plan (I recommend Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Strongman 5x5)
      -Once you're about 2 months in and used to everything, creatine will be excellent (but make sure to read up on proper usage!)
      -Lift heavy! (finding a proper program should cover this)
      -STICK TO IT! Skipping practices will just get you back to where you started.
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]...---...[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Chivalry isn't dead. It's just being a really good ninja.[/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

Oh I forgot to mention. ONLY BUILDING CERTAIN BODYPARTS = EPIC BODYBUILDING FAILURE. You need to work YOUR ENTIRE BODY to get nice results. You'll just look disfigured if you only work specific muscles while neglecting others. They need to be in proportion.
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Chivalry isn't dead. It's just being a really good ninja.[/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

its clearly NOT "common" sense, since about 80% of guys who work out do not do a balanced work out.

every guy tries desperately to get ab's, but think doing sit up's and crunches will make them appear from behind his 15+% BF

Guy's try and get huge bicep's, so spend hours curling ( a crap bicep work out imo anyway), but completely neglect their triceps even though its the triceps that fill sleeves.

Your hardly see anyone who does anything serios with their leg's and thats why chicken leg's as i like to call them are so common.

Back is probably the worst neglected group of muscles of the lot in my opinion, most people skip out pull up's, because they cant do them, they dont row, because they dont know what a row is, and they dont deadlift, because they under estimate the power of the deadlift. The only exercise id say which is pretty common for back is lat pull down and alot of people even skip them (the lat pull down is pretty gash anyway unless your a tank because there just isnt enough weight on it)

Although every guy wants a big chest, hardly anyone goes about it the right way, bench press form is usualy terrible with far too little weight or even worse far too much and with a ROM of about 4 inches, they let their triceps do too much of the weight. Plus apart from leg's, chest is probably the muscle group that people most use machines to develope. Which is ofc for the most part, crappy :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sharkbait ().