16 yr. old who thinks he is*********

• 16 yr. old who thinks he is*********

My son is about to be 17, but he thinks he is much older. He is spoiled rotten, he doesn't do anything around the house without an arguement. He is failing in school and I do not like the friends he hangs out with.....but how do you tell him how to pick his friends. They (the friends) have got him to to dress like them, wearing girls skinny jeans...he can't even pull them up over his a**. It drives me crazy. I don't think he is even trying in school, he just goes to see his girlfriend (which is an honor student) and friends, I don't know what to do. I love my son so much and don't want him to fail himself.....what can I do???
  • Re: 16 yr. old who thinks he is*********

I know it is hard to realize, but sometimes your child's behavior is out of your control. I would suggest that you try and talk to him, but the age he is at currently it will most likely go in one ear and out the other. I wouldn't worry so much about his choice in clothing, but focus on his lack of focus in school. Try and display some authority, tell him if his grades do not pick up and he doesn't help around the house that there will be consequences.. such as taking away his car, phone, etc. If things don't improve follow through with your threat.
    [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Seduce&Destroy[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You're sure you still wanna play this evil lil game?
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

How often do you talk to him? I don't mean discipline talk I mean talk socially. Teens who talk to their parents and eat dinner at the table with their family usually do better in school.
    "You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel."

I am so sorry that I posted on the wrong forum, please forgive me. I have tried taking away his cell, computer, having friends over....it doesn't seem to work. He has to drive himself to school and I don't want him to be without a phone (i have even bought a trac phone for only to call home or our (parents) cells. he just such an attitude, he went to church with is girfriend tonight, I tried to call him way after it was over, no answer. Then after over 25 mins of calling he shows up. His dad doesn't see a problem but I do. Am I over reacting or what. I have never raised or been around boys being raised....any ideas. PS where do I post ????

You are fine to post here. This entire forum is typically for teens looking for advice, but I don't see any issue with you posting here.

When you take away his privileges do you give in after a while, or do you wait until he has improved his situation. He may have an attitude at first, but he will soon learn that he has to take care of certain things and is not able to just get whatever he wants for free.

Soon he will be out on his own, but right now he is living under your roof, therefore you should make sure he follows your rules.
    [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Seduce&Destroy[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You're sure you still wanna play this evil lil game?
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Thank You Sarah, I do set rules and punishments but sometimes WE (mom and dad) do give in and let up on them. He is our only child and for the most part his dad has spoiled him rotten. I just want him to respect us and do as we say. I do take away his car and phone, but that makes it harder on us. Tonight for instance, he went to church with his girlfriend, way after it was over, he wouldn't answer his phone for 20-30 mins.....I freaked. His dad ofcourse said he is almost seventeen .....he probably went parking or something...like that is what I want to hear. I am sorry for the whinning/moaning.....somehow I will survive. :-)

I know this may seem a bit rude, but it is not entirely his own fault, he has learnt that it's this sort of behaviour that gets him things, if you had disciplined him or taught him respect when he was younger you wouldn't face such a big problem. I doubt you will be able to reign him in at his age, it sounds like he's pretty set on what he's doing, It will take something pretty drastic to make him change his ways, in my opinion.
    But as Sarah said, try talking with his girlfriend, out of anyone, shes probably going to be able to influence him the most.

dont worry, teenagers are just teenagers. once they live out on their own they will start to understand that they need to act more maturely and hang out with better people.

but for now all you can do is teach him to be responsible and punish him when he needs it. its normal to over react and worry a lot. however, dont let it get to you that much :)
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]:)[/CENTER]

you have to give him a bit liberty though he has a lot already.... but u need to be less arguing at times.... let him do what he wants to do sometimes.... but soon talk him over when u think he realizes this change in u.... ask him what he really wants to do.... u really can't force anyone to study or do what u want them to do.... don't take away his things coz he might turn rebellious...
    just talk him over.... take him out.... do some family activity to spend more time with him and get him interested.... making him keep a check on the monthly billing might be good to get him interested in house stuff.... buy him something he likes(that makes sense of course).... this might bring change.... scolding is good sometimes when things are out of hands but dialogue is always a better option....

plax77 wrote:

STAND BACK AND STOP BEING SO CONTROLLING...

also this is a teen forum, not a forum to talk about teens

uncalled for man. also, caps lock is NOT cruise control for cool...everyone is generally welcome here, you can't assume that this guy is an adult. sure you can make an inference based on the fact he is talking about his 17 YO son. however, this is the internet and anyone can lie about their age.

standing back and letting this kid fail is just going to burden this country[United States] even more. change starts with one, changing one kid at a time will eventually improve this place.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

kimb1048 wrote:

My son is about to be 17, but he thinks he is much older. He is spoiled rotten, he doesn't do anything around the house without an arguement. He is failing in school and I do not like the friends he hangs out with.....but how do you tell him how to pick his friends. They (the friends) have got him to to dress like them, wearing girls skinny jeans...he can't even pull them up over his a**. It drives me crazy. I don't think he is even trying in school, he just goes to see his girlfriend (which is an honor student) and friends, I don't know what to do. I love my son so much and don't want him to fail himself.....what can I do???

as for the clothes, change in fashion is always inevitable. i fucking hate guys that dress like that, but i learned to accept it. an observation i made is that the general public's fashion seems to follow "skaters". they were first to wear girl jeans and they used to be called homos for it but over time everyone started wearing them...poor wannabe gangsters ruined their own rep BIG time.
    My Blog --- gatlinock.blogspot.com/
    Last Updated: Sunday, November 29, 2009

Rise of Gatlinock wrote:

uncalled for man. also, caps lock is NOT cruise control for cool...everyone is generally welcome here, you can't assume that this guy is an adult. sure you can make an inference based on the fact he is talking about his 17 YO son. however, this is the internet and anyone can lie about their age.

standing back and letting this kid fail is just going to burden this country[United States] even more. change starts with one, changing one kid at a time will eventually improve this place.

are you that guy i got banned like 2 months ago
    fuck.

plax77 wrote:

you are... damn, oh well, just don't go telling people that cutting is the way to fix all problems in life again

you don't go and ruin the reputation of this forum by telling people they are not welcome =]. i have no clue what you are talking about...i don't have any stable beliefs, i can argue both sides of anything =]. therefore, i couldn't say i condemn cutting yourself.
    My Blog --- gatlinock.blogspot.com/
    Last Updated: Sunday, November 29, 2009

Rise of Gatlinock wrote:

you don't go and ruin the reputation of this forum by telling people they are not welcome =]. i have no clue what you are talking about...i don't have any stable beliefs, i can argue both sides of anything =]. therefore, i couldn't say i condemn cutting yourself.

okey dokey, just don't go back to your old ways :)
    fuck.

When your son say's he's "going to church" do you really believe him? I mean come on... church?

And I agree with whomever posted before and suggested talking to his girlfriend. She probably feels somewhat the same way you do about this.

And worse case scenario is he'll outgrow this phase, then look back at to how much of an idiot he looked like, then angrily question you why you let him dress like that.
    and then

Whoop his ass. My parents did it to me early and now they rarely have any problems with me. Parents need to start asserting their authority and stop letting your kids push you around. If he hits you back, call the police. If he runs away, change the locks. You're the parent not him. As for his style, let him be. Watch Dr. Phil girl you learn a lot!