Anyone who cuts...

• Re: Anyone who cuts...

iTommy wrote:

My life hasn't been bad, my family have treated me good. The reason I started.. I had a pin and I
    Pierced my ear, (tried), I ent up doing random lines on my leg (boredum)..
    The next night I saw it had made cuts, I started doing this randomly, only on my legs.
    The scratches got deeper, the area got bigger, I didn't realise.
    It was never seen, so I didn't mind. I started watching this girl talking about self harm on youtube and this is when I fount out about people cutting/burning themselves. (I was 12). I eventually stopped. When I was almost 14 I cut my arm all over with small cuts. My mum saw and went nuts! Anyway.. I have kinda stopped, but on the top of my leg, the fatish bit, I still cut there, burn and scratch my knees.. Nothing big.

thanks for sharing, yeah when my mom saw the first time i did it, she went insane too. she's never seen since, thank god.
    My Blog --- gatlinock.blogspot.com/
    Last Updated: Sunday, November 29, 2009

My family is middle/low class. Both my parents are still together and I have a younger brother. We've even lived in the same house since I was a baby. I'm the black sheep and scape goat in my family. My dad had an anger problem and my mom wouldn't do anything about it and let him do whatever. But I was still happy and everything was just normal.

When I was in 9th grade I started having panic attacks and I basically hardly went to school. I somehow made it to 11th grade and it was getting so hard I just quit going all together. I had started cutting a little bit then and once I dropped out everything just escalated. A few years later I started having paranoid delusions and I had a psychotic episode, It just got worse and worse. I gave myself two concussions, and I started burning myself.
    I hurt myself because I hate myself and I want my thoughts to go away. That really just sums it up.

I haven't really done it in awhile but I think It's impossible for me to truly stop.
    They diagnosed me with schizoaffective disorder two years ago so at least I know what's wrong with me now.
    [SIZE=4][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/SIZE]

I'm 19. Um i guess i come from a middle class family but i don't live with them anymore. I moved in with my boyfriend when i was 15. I have been cutting since i was 10. Never did well at school but i think that was more because i was so bored there rather then not being smart. My parents are still together and i have a brother and sister. Both of whom are older then me. But i don't see them anymore.
    I don't really know why i cut. Sometimes it's to feel more in control, other times it's because i feel like i need to be punished, sometimes it calms me down, and sometimes it's because i hate my self so much. And other times i don't know why i do it. Habbit, prehaps?
    I guess i started (and i haven't really told anyone about this apart from my boyfriend, but thats the beauty of the internet... no one knows me) when i was raped. And it had just got worse since then...

charli90 wrote:

I'm 19. Um i guess i come from a middle class family but i don't live with them anymore. I moved in with my boyfriend when i was 15. I have been cutting since i was 10. Never did well at school but i think that was more because i was so bored there rather then not being smart. My parents are still together and i have a brother and sister. Both of whom are older then me. But i don't see them anymore.
    I don't really know why i cut. Sometimes it's to feel more in control, other times it's because i feel like i need to be punished, sometimes it calms me down, and sometimes it's because i hate my self so much. And other times i don't know why i do it. Habbit, prehaps?
    I guess i started (and i haven't really told anyone about this apart from my boyfriend, but thats the beauty of the internet... no one knows me) when i was raped. And it had just got worse since then...

i'm sorry about the rape incident =[. yeah it can become a habit really easily.
    has it gotten any better for you? like has the amount you cut gone down or up?

I have no reason to cut or be depressed, but i do and i am. I'm an only child with awesome, loving, middle-class parents. I'm pretty well off and really, I have a great life. I honestly can't say why I get depressed. I know part of it is because my school friends are shits. Most of the time after i see or talk to them, I start cutting (well, scratching ... haven't drawn blood as yet).
    I'm also stressed at school because to me it's a waste of time and I hate it so much it makes me feel sick.

I don't D&M much, so for me, self-harm is a release of my emotional pain and hurt and also a punishment because for all my self confidence (of which there's a lot), I completely loathe myself.

I have different meanings for the different ways I self harm, too. eg. when i have a shower and i make it REALLY hot I am washing away pain and grief. When I scratch in a controlled way, it's either as punishment for a specific thing or to make myself feel better so I can get on with things.
    Sometimes I go crazy and basically assult myself ... that's when I REALLY hate myself.

I know I shouldn't do it, but I have really bad friendships atm and no one i can really talk to ... or want to talk to and i'm not ready to stop.

JT

JamTart wrote:

I have no reason to cut or be depressed, but i do and i am. I'm an only child with awesome, loving, middle-class parents. I'm pretty well off and really, I have a great life. I honestly can't say why I get depressed. I know part of it is because my school friends are shits. Most of the time after i see or talk to them, I start cutting (well, scratching ... haven't drawn blood as yet).
    I'm also stressed at school because to me it's a waste of time and I hate it so much it makes me feel sick.

I don't D&M much, so for me, self-harm is a release of my emotional pain and hurt and also a punishment because for all my self confidence (of which there's a lot), I completely loathe myself.

I have different meanings for the different ways I self harm, too. eg. when i have a shower and i make it REALLY hot I am washing away pain and grief. When I scratch in a controlled way, it's either as punishment for a specific thing or to make myself feel better so I can get on with things.
    Sometimes I go crazy and basically assult myself ... that's when I REALLY hate myself.

I know I shouldn't do it, but I have really bad friendships atm and no one i can really talk to ... or want to talk to and i'm not ready to stop.

JT

have you ever thought maybe it isn't your fault at all. that maybe there's some kind of disorder that's keeping you from enjoying life? thanks for the contribution.

Rise of Gatlinock wrote:

have you ever thought maybe it isn't your fault at all. that maybe there's some kind of disorder that's keeping you from enjoying life? thanks for the contribution.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm bi-polar, but I'm an hormonal teenager. Mood swings are agiven. Also, most of my friends have diagnosises and take anti-depressants ... it's not really something I want in my life ... honestly my depression stems from my school friends and stress. I'm on holidays at the momment and totally happy and carefree but as soon as i see or talk to a friend from school i get really depressed. Sometimes even thinking about them brings it on.
    I need new friends.

Something I'm very adement about with my friends and I think people here should be aware of is there are a number of OTHER biological factors to depression other than brain stuff.
    -Lack of sleep plays a big part and at least here in Australia, there's a teen epidemic of sleep deprivation.
    -Also, girls, it's normal to be moody/depressed just before your period.
    -Stress triggers depression.
    -Darkness can also bring about depression - if your house is often dark try turning on lights, opening windows or going outside.
    -Lack of excersise so if your down go for a brisk walk around the block

Basically, if you are depressed look at the things in your life that could be affecting your mood before getting involved with the medical system because, trust me, doctors don't always know best.

JT

hi, um I'm from a middle class family of four: me, my parents, and my older brother.

I make high grades in school even though I only throw myself into classes so that i have something to do. \

My friends mean the world to me, and I can truly say that they are my sanity, the people who help me get through the bad spots and still keep going. My boyfriend is a sweetheart, and he treats me better than i ever imagined would be possible. He says he loves me, and I believe him...he's the only person who has never hurt me, never left me in pain. My ex was a beater...I was stuck with him for over a year, afraid to leave and uncertain of howto. My current boyfriend rescued me, and promised to never let someone lay a hand on me. His promise has been good, though i know it is not his responsibility to protect me. I''m learning to protect myself, to be self confident.

Over the years i have realized that my mother is my main trigger. She is judgemental, paranoid, distrusting and uncaring...she'll claim to care for me more than any other and two sseconds later she's start making false accusations about my whereabouts and calling me a "worm", a "betrayer to the family." I'm not sure if she even realizes the pain she causes not only me but the rest of my family. My brother has been banned from seeing us, by my mother, because she believes he owes her an apology...the reallity? neither of them remembers what went wrong, or what the apology would be for. The sad part is that my bro is the only person I truly trust, even though he has hurt me before, he's always made it up to me, always come back, never left me hurt. My father stands by and simply goes along with whatever my mother says. In one breathe he'll tell me not to listen to her, to ignore her hurtful words, and in the next he'll be punishing me, as she instructed him to. He's a constant contradiction. My mother's paranoia often keeps me from my friends and socializing away from the watchful eye of my parents.

I am very into art, writing and music...my goal is to become a lyricist one day. Though it may not seem like it here, I am actually good with words, and that may be one of the few things I am proud of. My self image is sourly lacking from the years of verbal abuse by my mother, but i am getting better at realizing what i truly am--a good person.

I started cutting when I was about 13...and I didnt start right away with cutting. I had reached this really low point and at times it felt like i was suffocating, like i simply couldnt breathe for the stress i was under with my fmaily (my mother has innumerous life threatening medical problems, father is in the military, school stress, and my brothers series of absences and reentries). I started scratching...taking earrings, safety pins, compasses, and making small scratches. Eventually, I started resorting to this unconsciously when i was angry or sad or confused. The scratches got deeper and drew blood. I was hooked on the release I got and I started cutting with pins, needles, exacto knives...whatever was available. I cut, I healed, I scarred...the cycle went on. Last year, I leaarned that my best friend, whom I thought was perfect, unscarred, happy, was also a cutter. Together we slowed down on the cutting, resorting to it only when we felt there was nothing else. Now, we call each other when we're triggered, we calm each other downn, and we don't cut as often. Notice, I don't say we stopped. We haven't, we both think that this is something that will stick around for a while, but we are getting better. And, for me, knowing that after my senior year is complete, I can go off to college, have my own life and career, is the only hope I have besides the love i have for my friends. I'm not better,I'm still shattered by my past (molestation, abusive relationships, self image problems, tragedy, confusion about life and death) but I am cclearing things up for myself. I'm getting past my old habits and taking solace in my new one--loving life, my friends and writing.

Sorry, I wrote quite a bit, but I hope I helped at least one person. I hope you can get something from this story, my story.
    ~*~
    Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

Musicaddicted wrote:

hi, um I'm from a middle class family of four: me, my parents, and my older brother.

I make high grades in school even though I only throw myself into classes so that i have something to do.

My friends mean the world to me, and I can truly say that they are my sanity, the people who help me get through the bad spots and still keep going. My boyfriend is a sweetheart, and he treats me better than i ever imagined would be possible. He says he loves me, and I believe him...he's the only person who has never hurt me, never left me in pain. My ex was a beater...I was stuck with him for over a year, afraid to leave and uncertain of howto. My current boyfriend rescued me, and promised to never let someone lay a hand on me. His promise has been good, though i know it is not his responsibility to protect me. I''m learning to protect myself, to be self confident.

Over the years i have realized that my mother is my main trigger. She is judgemental, paranoid, distrusting and uncaring...she'll claim to care for me more than any other and two sseconds later she's start making false accusations about my whereabouts and calling me a "worm", a "betrayer to the family." I'm not sure if she even realizes the pain she causes not only me but the rest of my family. My brother has been banned from seeing us, by my mother, because she believes he owes her an apology...the reallity? neither of them remembers what went wrong, or what the apology would be for. The sad part is that my bro is the only person I truly trust, even though he has hurt me before, he's always made it up to me, always come back, never left me hurt. My father stands by and simply goes along with whatever my mother says. In one breathe he'll tell me not to listen to her, to ignore her hurtful words, and in the next he'll be punishing me, as she instructed him to. He's a constant contradiction. My mother's paranoia often keeps me from my friends and socializing away from the watchful eye of my parents.

I am very into art, writing and music...my goal is to become a lyricist one day. Though it may not seem like it here, I am actually good with words, and that may be one of the few things I am proud of. My self image is sourly lacking from the years of verbal abuse by my mother, but i am getting better at realizing what i truly am--a good person.

I started cutting when I was about 13...and I didnt start right away with cutting. I had reached this really low point and at times it felt like i was suffocating, like i simply couldnt breathe for the stress i was under with my fmaily (my mother has innumerous life threatening medical problems, father is in the military, school stress, and my brothers series of absences and reentries). I started scratching...taking earrings, safety pins, compasses, and making small scratches. Eventually, I started resorting to this unconsciously when i was angry or sad or confused. The scratches got deeper and drew blood. I was hooked on the release I got and I started cutting with pins, needles, exacto knives...whatever was available. I cut, I healed, I scarred...the cycle went on. Last year, I leaarned that my best friend, whom I thought was perfect, unscarred, happy, was also a cutter. Together we slowed down on the cutting, resorting to it only when we felt there was nothing else. Now, we call each other when we're triggered, we calm each other downn, and we don't cut as often. Notice, I don't say we stopped. We haven't, we both think that this is something that will stick around for a while, but we are getting better. And, for me, knowing that after my senior year is complete, I can go off to college, have my own life and career, is the only hope I have besides the love i have for my friends. I'm not better,I'm still shattered by my past (molestation, abusive relationships, self image problems, tragedy, confusion about life and death) but I am cclearing things up for myself. I'm getting past my old habits and taking solace in my new one--loving life, my friends and writing.

Sorry, I wrote quite a bit, but I hope I helped at least one person. I hope you can get something from this story, my story.

nah, it wasn't too long. do you ever feel that no one would think you could ever cut just due to the fact you're smart? i often think that people would never think i'd doing something like cut myself just because my intelligence impresses them, they think my life is the best. do you kind of get what i'm asking?

yeah i would definitely that your mom is your trigger for everything. have you ever talked to her to see what's going on that makes her so sour? it's god that you have plenty of good friends and caring people to help you out. so did you start hurting yourself just out of nowhere from stresses or from hearing about it prior to actually doing it?

it's awesome you found something you love, writing. finding something you can do whenever is truly a gift. i hope you can someday be free from self-harm. i know how it likes to linger even when life is at it's high points.

Rise of Gatlinock wrote:

nah, it wasn't too long. do you ever feel that no one would think you could ever cut just due to the fact you're smart? i often think that people would never think i'd doing something like cut myself just because my intelligence impresses them, they think my life is the best. do you kind of get what i'm asking?

yeah i would definitely that your mom is your trigger for everything. have you ever talked to her to see what's going on that makes her so sour? it's god that you have plenty of good friends and caring people to help you out. so did you start hurting yourself just out of nowhere from stresses or from hearing about it prior to actually doing it?

it's awesome you found something you love, writing. finding something you can do whenever is truly a gift. i hope you can someday be free from self-harm. i know how it likes to linger even when life is at it's high points.

Yeah, I can relate to that. Thats the case with my best friend and I...we're in the top of our class of almost 600 and no one would ever suspect us of hanging this kind of...i don't what to call it except, a habit. When my other friend first found out about it she was shocked and said things like "i never would have expected someone as perfect as you to have this problem...someone who has so much going for you." The things that trigger me aren't obvious to outsiders, so my intelligence, and overall attitude don't fit the stereotype for someone with this kind of habit. I dress darkly, I'm often quiet, and I can be very sarcastic and negative but because of my grades people call me introspective instead of shy, artistic instead of emo, etc.

I've tried talking to her but she refuses to see any problem. She believes she is the perfect person, the one that can do no wrong, whom all others should be modeled off of...she expects me to fit a certain mold--an impossible one--so i never add up to enough. I've tried seeking help from my dad but he just does whatever my mother tells him to. He wants to avoid conflict.

I started SIing without even realizing it...unconsciously scratching my hands when i was upset, pushing my nails into my palms, that kind of thing. I started getting more serious with it really randomly...I hadn't heard anything about cutting/scratching, though i had in the past, i just went to my bedroom and got a safety pin. I was really angry and stressed and I just did it without thinking.

Yeah, to me, it feels like life is at one of its best points right now, and yet i still relapse. habits suck but eventually i'll get over it, or i'll just keep dealing with it like i am, and not let it get me down. Now though, I often find myself writing or talking or listening to music instead of cutting when i feel the urge to.
    ~*~
    Please check out my blog at http://mylifeinverse.com/ or check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/mylifeinverse Thanks, loves!

Musicaddicted wrote:

Yeah, I can relate to that. Thats the case with my best friend and I...we're in the top of our class of almost 600 and no one would ever suspect us of hanging this kind of...i don't what to call it except, a habit. When my other friend first found out about it she was shocked and said things like "i never would have expected someone as perfect as you to have this problem...someone who has so much going for you." The things that trigger me aren't obvious to outsiders, so my intelligence, and overall attitude don't fit the stereotype for someone with this kind of habit. I dress darkly, I'm often quiet, and I can be very sarcastic and negative but because of my grades people call me introspective instead of shy, artistic instead of emo, etc.

I've tried talking to her but she refuses to see any problem. She believes she is the perfect person, the one that can do no wrong, whom all others should be modeled off of...she expects me to fit a certain mold--an impossible one--so i never add up to enough. I've tried seeking help from my dad but he just does whatever my mother tells him to. He wants to avoid conflict.

I started SIing without even realizing it...unconsciously scratching my hands when i was upset, pushing my nails into my palms, that kind of thing. I started getting more serious with it really randomly...I hadn't heard anything about cutting/scratching, though i had in the past, i just went to my bedroom and got a safety pin. I was really angry and stressed and I just did it without thinking.

Yeah, to me, it feels like life is at one of its best points right now, and yet i still relapse. habits suck but eventually i'll get over it, or i'll just keep dealing with it like i am, and not let it get me down. Now though, I often find myself writing or talking or listening to music instead of cutting when i feel the urge to.

yeah exactly, i relate almost perfectly to the not fitting the stereotype thing. i'm very sarcastic and shy, although i don't always dress darkly. i'm also an athlete so that makes it seem even less likely that i'd self harm. i just wonder when i will open up to someone in my life, and i wonder how they will react. i envy the fact that the friend you told, happened to be in a similar situation and they can probably relate a ton to you. i don't want to tell someone who will preach to me or not understand.

i hate when parents expect more and more from someone. i have become a straight A student and an amazing athlete and my mom still expects more from me or doesn't give me any recognition. i know i'll never be good enough. i wouldn't doubt that parents are one of the main causes of self harm in teenagers.

oh okay, so you heard of SI before but when you started, you didn't have that in mind. i can't remember if i started based on hearing it or if it came naturally, but i do know that the first time was the worst.

well i wish you luck in dealing with it. i don't think you can ever recover but you can reduce how much you harm. even if it eventually comes to years between cutting. once you do it, it stays with you forever. even after the scars disappear...if they do. god i hope scars heal, because i'm going to need a physical in May and i don't want the doctor to know and tell my mother.

Ive been cutting for about two years i always had slef esteem problems, (not the prettiest girl) It wasnt really a problem till I got raped and then I started doing it all the time. So i shut myself off from people so they wouldnt hurt me and i stopped cutting. But i wasnt really happy i just pushed all my feelings down. Till I started talking to a guy for some reason i opened up to, but it didnt work out witch wasnt a big deal but it made me deppresed all over again and brought up all these feelings of how worthless i am so i cut almost everyday now, tonight i did it 17 times. I dont feel like i should ever talk to anyone ever again because i just cant handle my problems without doing it. Some people will just never understand how people who cut themselves feel.

locachick798 wrote:

Ive been cutting for about two years i always had slef esteem problems, (not the prettiest girl) It wasnt really a problem till I got raped and then I started doing it all the time. So i shut myself off from people so they wouldnt hurt me and i stopped cutting. But i wasnt really happy i just pushed all my feelings down. Till I started talking to a guy for some reason i opened up to, but it didnt work out witch wasnt a big deal but it made me deppresed all over again and brought up all these feelings of how worthless i am so i cut almost everyday now, tonight i did it 17 times. I dont feel like i should ever talk to anyone ever again because i just cant handle my problems without doing it. Some people will just never understand how people who cut themselves feel.

woah, i'm sorry all that happened. i understand how you are feeling, please be careful though. 17 times is a lot in one sitting. i don't want something to happen to you.

Rise of Gatlinock wrote:

Okay, so as everyone should know, people who self-mutilate come from every walk of life. what did i make this thread for? i want to get an idea of what kind of walks of life other people who self-harm come from. so in this thread i'm asking that if you are a cutter and are comfortable sharing, where do you come from? who are you? what are you like? reason for cutting? please only people dealing with self-injury who are comfortable with sharing...it will make for a better perspective.

my example:
    as for me, i come from a middle class family of 3; my sister, mother, and I. my parents are divorced and i can not remember the last time i saw my dad. as for who i am, i am a dedicated athlete(varsity cross country, wrestling, weightlifting, and varsity track), a good student(4.0 gpa with many academic achievements), and at many times a very depressed person. why i cut, it is a difficult-to-pinpoint reason that i believe as an endless amount of deep-within roots. point blank, i just do it with no conscious reason.

thanks in advance for anyone who contributes =]

Well here it is... I come from a middle class family I live with my mom, stepdad and my brother. I am the youngest and my brother is 5 years older than me. he is 19. My parents are divorced. My dad was left by his second wife he is sort of in depression as well he has like no money and his mom lost her job.
    I cut and I cut for reasons... First reason is It lets me feel like im alive when I see my blood I know im alive. And I also cut because I love the feeling of pain and it makes me control my feelings.. Sounds weird I know but its true. It is almost impossible to stop.

i cn respond to i live at home with my mam and her boy freind sista and brother i have very bad mood swings and have suffered from depresion since i was 12 i dnt tlk to my dad and often argue wi my mum i did shit at school and hardley got any grades i have dropped out of college 3 times due to lack of concentration and some times think id rather not be here

i started cutting at 12 and i dnt exacly no what set it off but it is like an obsession to me now

Rise of Gatlinock wrote:

Okay, so as everyone should know, people who self-mutilate come from every walk of life. what did i make this thread for? i want to get an idea of what kind of walks of life other people who self-harm come from. so in this thread i'm asking that if you are a cutter and are comfortable sharing, where do you come from? who are you? what are you like? reason for cutting? please only people dealing with self-injury who are comfortable with sharing...it will make for a better perspective.

my example:
    as for me, i come from a middle class family of 3; my sister, mother, and I. my parents are divorced and i can not remember the last time i saw my dad. as for who i am, i am a dedicated athlete(varsity cross country, wrestling, weightlifting, and varsity track), a good student(4.0 gpa with many academic achievements), and at many times a very depressed person. why i cut, it is a difficult-to-pinpoint reason that i believe as an endless amount of deep-within roots. point blank, i just do it with no conscious reason.

thanks in advance for anyone who contributes =]

Well lets see... Im a 13 year old girl. I live with my step brother, brother, mom, and step dad. Obviously my parents are divorced. My dad does not have alot of money and his second wife just left him. Theres alot of drama where I live and there is not alot of people if any at all I trust enough to talk to about how im feeling. The best way I deal with stuff is by cutting and seeing my blood flow. Or I burn my own skin which feels totally amazing. This takes my mind of things for a while. The pain is like my pill. It relieves me of my thoughts long enough for me to smile. I know it eventually ends but thats why i do it again. I dont know if its really something I can stop... But thats sort of my story.

Since this is my first post, I guess it will be kind of a thorough introduction :P.

I'm a 17 year old girl. I've cut for the past five and a half years. I live with My mom, her boyfriend, and my brother. My parents divorced when I was two, and I haven't seen my dad since I was fourish. I consider myself to be a pretty good kid. Good grades, good friends, accepted into colleges, religious, etc. I am also a very self-conscious and insecure person though, which I believe is a lot of the reason I cut. I don't think I have an un-scarred body part below my neck; I've cut everywhere. Recently I have also done burning, and friction burning. I just... enjoy it. I like seeing the scars, I like feeling the cuts through my clothing, and I love hurting with every movement that I make. That being said, I'm a pretty stable person. I'm not depressed, I don't have significant or frequent mood swings, and I can deal with my problems in a healthy and normal way. I guess I'm not sure why I SI anymore!

hi so uhm i dont cut myself but i dont know if i should...im afraid of the pain and people finding out..my life is weird i have tons of fun with my firernds and family but at the end of the day i feel like crying in my bed and i dont know whut to do i feel unloved even tho i am and i totally do not want to try suicde but is there any easy way to cute yourself?