.....Islam...=)

• Re: .....Islam...=)

I usually am an open-minded person and i'm thus open to discussion and won't immediately judge a religion i don't really know...i've read stuff, but i can't claim to really know the religion and all the good and bad sides of it.

Though if Islam is really peaceful and nice and all that, what does
      surah 4:34 mean? This verse which apparently states that, if your wife disobeys you, you should follow three steps. I forgot the first, but the second was sleeping in separate beds (if i remember well) and the last one, if she really doesn't listen, is beating her. How is that peaceful?
      I've heard muslims say that the Quran doesn't immediately ask for beating, it asks for patience from the husband toward his disobeying wife which is a good thing (though the concept of "disobeying" kinda makes me shrug, is that obedience toward the husband reciprocal?), but that doesn't make accepting domestic violence any more acceptable... I've also heard that this verse has been mistranslated and the word that's been translated as "beating" actually has different meanings. "Salaam" being the only word i know in arabic, i have no idea as to whether it's been translated the right way or not.
      And what about the verses Bad News posted on the previous page? Again, i've heard muslims say that these verses should be put back in context. Well again, even if the muslims were at war during that time or even if the non-believers were the ones who started waging war against the muslims (which would mean the muslims were victims), does it justify advocating violence as the right way to solve a problem or defend oneself in any way? The bible has violence in it too, but even there Jesus said that you should let someone who slaps you on the left cheek slap your right one also (or something like that). What the Quran is saying in those verses rather seems to be "if someone slaps you, slap back". Again, it doesn't sound very peaceful to me either.
      Besides, even if those verses have to be put back in context, how are we supposed to do that? Was anyone already alive 14 centuries ago, when Mohamed lived? Most scholars base their version of Mohammed's history on hadiths even though they (hadiths) have been collected long after Mohammed's death and also long after the Quran was collected. They are therefore very unreliable, making putting these verses back in context quite difficult if not close to impossible.

This is also why Ali Sina's challenge, a challenge that has been started nine years ago by an Iranian ex-muslim still hasn't ended. Sina is a man who decided to give 50.000 dollars to the person who will be able to prove him wrong when he says that Islam isn't a peaceful religion by refuting all the arguments he bases this statement on. For such a huge amount of money, it is clear that lots of people already have debated with him, but apparently none of them have ever won since he says on his site, called FaithFreedom, that he's still maintaining his challenge. He bases most of his arguments on hadiths, and so do his opponents. Who is right when two hadiths contradict each other?

Anyway, I don't know what to think about this religion, and i can perfectly live without it so i won't be pondering on this any longer.

The post was edited 4 times, last by CrystalColoredRainbow ().

in my opinion of islam, if you truly follow its teachings and sharia law then it calls its followers to be violent. but i dont think every person who says they are muslim are violent just like how not every catholic is anti abortion
      "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it." gandalf

CrystalColoredRainbow wrote:

This is also why Ali Sina's challenge, a challenge that has been started nine years ago by an Iranian ex-muslim still hasn't ended. Sina is a man who decided to give 50.000 dollars to the person who will be able to prove him wrong when he says that Islam isn't a peaceful religion by refuting all the arguments he bases this statement on. For such a huge amount of money, it is clear that lots of people already have debated with him, but apparently none of them have ever won since he says on his site, called FaithFreedom, that he's still maintaining his challenge. He bases most of his arguments on hadiths, and so do his opponents. Who is right when two hadiths contradict each other?

I agree with you on most of what you've said, though I thought I'd chip in here with my take on these grand prizes that people set up to have their minds changed, as a way of proving their point in the first place. Funnily enough, if Ihad $50 000 at stake, I don't thinkI'd be too willing to budge on my point of view either :rolleyes:.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]