Nature or Nurture?

• Re: Nature or Nurture?

Esmo wrote:

I think you're getting confused on causation.

Does me wanting the woman directly affect the way I behave?

Think about that carefully. Because the way I behave, which is the subject of this debate, is not actually directly down to the lust. It's like trying to explain what happened in a car crash by saying 'the drivers were drunk' and nothing else. That doesn't actually explain how the car crash happened; the most it gives is some context. The most that blaming lust does is give a motive, but not a reason for the way I behaved.

I find your greed example quite useful, because not everyone is greedy and it helps in summarising the argument: The nature vs. nurture debate is about why I am greedy, not about what I'm greedy for.

The driver being drunk would indeed explain why they crashed in the first place. It would explain what set the crash in motion. Therefore no matter what happened in the crash, the drunk driver (genes) caused the crash (behavior); and so nature inherently affects behavior.

Peace & Love

Niceguy7 wrote:

The driver being drunk would indeed explain why they crashed in the first place. It would explain what set the crash in motion. Therefore no matter what happened in the crash, the drunk driver (genes) caused the crash (behavior); and so nature inherently affects behavior.

You've missed a crucial part of the analogy:

Esmo wrote:

I think you're getting confused on causation.

Does me wanting the woman directly affect the way I behave?

Think about that carefully. Because the way I behave, which is the subject of this debate, is not actually directly down to the lust. It's like trying to explain what happened in a car crash by saying 'the drivers were drunk' and nothing else. That doesn't actually explain how the car crash happened; the most it gives is some context. The most that blaming lust does is give a motive, but not a reason for the way I behaved.

I find your greed example quite useful, because not everyone is greedy and it helps in summarising the argument: The nature vs. nurture debate is about why I am greedy, not about what I'm greedy for.

The crash does not equal the behaviour, (I think it's rather spurious to say that the drunkenness represents the genes as well but that's irrelevant) what happened in the crash represents the behaviour, ie. the details that would interest a policeman or a detective. Tell them that 'the driver was drunk' and that doesn't explain anything to them.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

Another example: the seven deadly sins are all in the genes. They affect your behavior every single day. No matter how you react to them, they do, in fact, affect your behavior. You're behavior revolves around suppressing, or directly acting on those feelings. You have to see nature as the logical winner in this debate.

Peace & Love

The post was edited 1 time, last by Niceguy ().

Nurture.

If your mother/father treated you like crap, that would change your personality and the way you treat people.

Nature is just secondary. It all starts at home (forgot where i heard that =/)
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=4]Skins[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3]Everyone Tries to be Different. Thats why all of us are the same. [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Niceguy7 wrote:

Another example: the seven deadly sins are all in the genes. They affect your behavior every single day. No matter how you react to them, they do, in fact, affect your behavior. You're behavior revolves around suppressing, or directly acting on those feelings. You have to see nature as the logical winner in this debate.

this, it's all about the base and foundation of who we are, not the specifics.
      My Blog --- gatlinock.blogspot.com/
      Last Updated: Sunday, November 29, 2009

Niceguy7 wrote:

You aren't even responding to points, you are just reciting the same stupid shit over and over again.

Good job.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]