why i hate avatar -SPOILER ALERT-

• Re: why i hate avatar -SPOILER ALERT-

damnimgood....i think i want to make love to you lol :p

DamnImGood wrote:

I actually thought the 3D aspect of it was quite unimpressive.

lol, and thats what EVERYBODY loves the most about it

DamnImGood wrote:

And what would that be?

with that you're agreeing or disagreeing with me ???

DamnImGood wrote:

:lol:

Did you just call Star Wars original?

not original per se, but a lot more original than this

DamnImGood wrote:

What the hell do you think all the aliens/creatures in Star Wars were if they weren't dinosaurs with feathers and colourful skins? My God...

Monkey Dance wrote:

lol, my point with this pokemon resemblance is general, not only for avatar: non fantastic animal is original (maybe chewbacca :D)

^ that point was unnecesary

DamnImGood wrote:

The creature and plant designs were very well done. I thought the designers did an EXCELLENT job of creating a world and immersing us in it. Obviously the most impressive aspect of this film was the visuals. If you couldn't figure that out from the trailer then you have no business criticizing films. Its storyline is certainly far from original, but that doesn't make it bad.

i didnt EVER see the trailer, just posters in cinemas with the word "Avatar" glowing in blue

DamnImGood wrote:

I think I've figured out why you hate this film so much. It's not so much the film that bothers you, it's the critical acclaim it's receiving. In one sentence you say you hate it and it offers nothing other than visuals. In another you say it's as good or bad as any other movie but with good special effects. Well what the fuck is it going to be? Why do you hate a film that's "average" (according to you) with excellent special effects? Maybe it's because it's receiving attention you don't think it deserves, so now you're going on the Internet and registering your disgust throughout the world. You somehow feel obligated to tell us all that you hate it (but don't give a logical reason why) and that it sucks.

"Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst. Episode. Ever. Rest assured I was on the Internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world."

thats why i wanted to use "dislike" instead of "hate". btw, those bolded sentences are exactly the same.

my problem with this movie is not really the criticism it receives, let me give you an example. i give you to choose one of two boxes. one is shiny and pretty and the other has rust etc. you pick the shiny one because it looks pretty, but does not have anything inside, and the rusty one....well, disappears in the past

the shiny box is avatar, it looks good....and everybody likes it. so did (the rusty one) toy story (which, btw, also innovated cinematography by being the first computer animated movie) the difference is that toy story has an excellent plot, characters with which you can identify with, it is a movie that has pleased every kind of audience through the years. and the rusty box is not just toy story, it is any good movie out there. my problem is that people act like its the best movie ever, when its like any other movie. i bet that when more movies come out on 3D avatar will be ancient history

btw, please dont compare me with the comic book guy.....

DamnImGood wrote:

It's called How to Train Your Dragon. Looks cute.

yes, but im looking more forward to shrek 4.....the mexican version of donkey is hilarious (most people say its way better than eddie murphy's)
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Hold on to your kite =D[/SIZE][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Superfast Jellyfish ().

i actually liked it
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] Cassie: Do you remember when you rode with me in the ambulance after I tried to kill myself?
      Jal
      : Of course.

Cassie
      : That's what love feels like.
      [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]
      ♥
      [/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=4]I Love You Dylan[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [SIZE=3]♥[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

CamTheLamb wrote:

The whole idea of the movie and the planet Pandora is extremely original and creative.

Really? I couldn't disagree more. The entire thing was second-hand, their wasn't much of the story apart form the absurd controlling an aliens body shite that I hadn't seen before. Corporations vs natives is in no way at all an original story. I havn't seen such one dimensional villains in an movies for years, it was the sort of thing aimed at 5 year olds.

I don't actually think their is a problem with taking inspiration from films in the past but avatar didn't do them justice at all. Incredible effects was all that the film had going for it, I think most of the people who made it would admit that.

I liked this movie, the plot wasn't bad (i thought anyway) and the gfx where brilliant (even thought i saw it in 2D).

But i did still notice a few things that where coped off other movies/games.

Plot: Yeah, we know its the same as about 20 over movies, meh.

Na'vi: Anyone else notice the resemblance to Draenei?

The helicopter-type things (I don't know that name): Anyone played Halo Wars?

But yeah, even after these (and more, im just too lazy to post them..) i would still say its a good movie.

I mean, how many movies that come out today are 100% original? Everything has already been done, and people aren't going to think of some completely different approach to a movie, as this WORKS.

mario_128 wrote:

Come on the script was written in 1994

Really? If so then it shows. These days films don't get away with such ridiculously unrealistic characters. In the old days villains and heros seemed to be completely one-sided like they are in avatar. The the army general guy and the greedy executive in avatar were really reminiscent of "baddies" from old kids films in my opinion, whereas a lot of newer films i've seen have a more mature feel.

Techno Viking wrote:

Really? I couldn't disagree more. The entire thing was second-hand, their wasn't much of the story apart form the absurd controlling an aliens body shite that I hadn't seen before. Corporations vs natives is in no way at all an original story. I havn't seen such one dimensional villains in an movies for years, it was the sort of thing aimed at 5 year olds.

I don't actually think their is a problem with taking inspiration from films in the past but avatar didn't do them justice at all. Incredible effects was all that the film had going for it, I think most of the people who made it would admit that.

I think he meant the planet itself and all the creatures were original, which they were.

kudos damnimgood, i just dont know what else to say.

i compared it with star wars because it was the first one that came to my head, and toy story rusty because its the only one i could think of that was an innovation to cinematography and is still seen and liked by zillions of people worldwide

i want to see movies with a nice story and characters that make you identify with them, or that at least you can grow fond with them. but i suppose that like in everything else, we have a lack of imagination....so now movies might go more for the visuals ??? i think i've found out why so many people like this movie: movies where invented to take you away from you world to immerse you in another one for a couple of hours....and this one looks so "real" that makes you get into that forest.

i prefer content rather than appearance....and so should racional people do. anyways, i dislike this movie.....not for the visuals, but because the whole movie was obvious and most of it i had seen it before in another movie, videogame, tv series or cartoon.

DamnImGood wrote:

They don't, actually. You need to talk to more people than just your friends.

like all the people that have posted in the diverse avatar threads in this forum ???

DamnImGood wrote:

That's your own problem then, isn't it? You went into the film not knowing what to expect and got burned.

i didnt want to go !!!! when we were in the car i asked my friend which movie we where going to see and he said "avatar", i was like "no, lets see if there's something else".....but they had already bought the tickets >_>
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Hold on to your kite =D[/SIZE][/CENTER]

SPOILER ALERT: Dumbledore dies.

But seriously.

Well the fact that they killed off the only character with depth in the film (whoever Sigourney Weaver played) killed it for me.
      That and the storyline was so predictable, coupled with the fact that the main character (it's not worth remembering the name) never had any real plans to act on in the movie. We get that he wasn't supposed to be the sharpest tool in the shed but he was unbelievable.
      Any time anything 'bad' was going to happen, his solution was 'But let me go talk to the natives!' which happened about three times. In succession.

And don't get me started on Michelle Rodriguez. We get it. You're angry and you may be a lesbian. Again.

EDIT: And the only reason the film was given such a large budget was because James Cameron's name was attached to the concept. He can film himself taking a dump and it would smash the box-office into teeny little pieces.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rockefeller ().

the only character with depth in the film (whoever Sigourney Weaver played)

Thought that was funny. The gruff, no nonsense person that finally comes around to liking the main character? Please we've seen her in hundreds of films played by many different people

Anyways I don't why everyone is complaining about the storyline being old. Just about every single movie or story made can be distilled into 7 different story lines:
      1 - [wo]man vs. nature

2 - [wo]man vs. man

3 - [wo]man vs. the environment

4 - [wo]man vs. machines/technology

5 - [wo]man vs. the supernatural

6 - [wo]man vs. self

7 - [wo]man vs. god/religion

and then there's the hero:

1. A hero – the person through whose eyes we see the story unfold, set
      against a larger background.

2. The hero’s character flaw – a weakness or defense mechanism that
      hinders the hero in such a way as to render him/her incomplete.

3. Enabling circumstances – the surroundings the hero is in at the
      beginning of the story, which allow the hero to maintain his/her
      character flaw.

4. An opponent – someone who opposes the hero in getting or doing what
      he/she wants. Not always a villain. For example, in a romantic comedy,
      the opponent could be the man or woman whom the hero seeks romance
      with. The opponent is the person who instigates the life-changing
      event.

5. The hero’s ally – the person who spends the most time with the hero
      and who helps the hero overcome his/her character flaw.

6. The life-changing event – a challenge, threat or opportunity
      usually instigated by the opponent, which forces the hero to respond
      in some way that’s related to the hero’s flaw.

7. Jeopardy – the high stakes that the hero must risk to overcome
      his/her flaw. These are the dramatic events that lend excitement and
      challenge to the quest.

I thought everyone played their roles perfectly, especially the colonel. His drive and commitment to winning and never backing down was so awesome
      How To Get Clear Skin Natural/Home Remedies

Ripped Biceps Beginning/Intermediate Workouts & Diet Plans

I loved the film.
      Whilst i thought the 3D was amazing, that's not why i liked it
      I'm going to see it in 2D this week, just so i can compare :)

I thought that, although the plot wasn't 100% original, nothing is. There were large amounts of the plot which had never been seen before, such as the network of plants acting like a brain, the intense connection between Na'vi and the wildlife was more than we've ever seen before.

Sure, they looked like cats/Draenei but that doesn't make them unoriginal. Predator looks like a person with a funny mouth, i don't hear anyone complaining about that.

Basically, don't bash a movie like you're opinion is the only one with value.
      ~Kiwi

I saw it 2d, and like everyone has said the characters, plot, and the entire movie in general were unoriginal and plain. What made this movie what it is is the special effects. It doesn't make it any less valid of a movie, it is a work of art in its own right. Also, I liked the Thanator creature.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

Monkey Dance wrote:

yes, i hate the movie Avatar. watched it twice and i just dont understand why people are so amazed about it. as i have said before in some other thread:

its ferngully's storyline brought to a star trek-ish version of the jurassic park island with weapons from Matrix and the videogame Halo.

the ONLY thing the movie has is the 3D.....period ·

if you see the movie behind the 3D effects you'll see its like any other sci-fi movie. the difference (and the only thing that caught my eye) is the way the natives communicated with the forest, thats it.

an aunt of mine told me that many critics say its like the star wars of our era.....BULLSHIT. star wars is much more original than this: the story, characters, lots of different alien species, many different vehicles, different planets.

"but look at the animals of the forest!" you mean those dinosaurs with feathers and colorful skins ??? its like pokemon or any other story where there are fantastical animals. they're just that, normal animals twisted in the opposite way around. like this pokemon (sorry for so much relation with pokemon, ive been playing a lot :p):

its a turtle, but instead of being of water its of grass.

lol, my point with this pokemon resemblance is general, not only for avatar: non fantastic animal is original (maybe chewbacca :D)

thnks for reading folks =)

THANK YOU! I've been saying for months that it's basically a bad Fern Gully remake, but no-one's agreed with me =P
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

hye, i jstu red ur post in the dibates and diskushon bord lol
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

DamnImGood;1062835947 wrote:

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

the only thing that amazed me was that pandora looked real
      that planet existed somewhere for me

the plot was alright and the overall performances where dope
      but i saw i on bootleg for free at a friends crib so im smarter than all y'all
      "Something to relieve the pressures of their everyday life, like having to tie their shoes. "