friends and drinking

• friends and drinking

when I was younger, I used to see friends all the time. but, starting in 9th grade, some of my friends started drinking and doing drugs. whenever people hang out, especially in a larger group, you can be sure there will be some alcohol and drugs. I have never had a taste of alcohol or done any drugs, and I never plan on having any. but, I also don't like being around people who are drinking or doing drugs. it makes me feel uncomfortable and I don't like to see my friends in that condition. to avoid situations like this, I have basically stopped seeing my friends. I still talk to everyone at school, but I don't see many people out of school on weekends or friday nights to avoid the aforementioned situations. I miss seeing people and I need to have a balance between schoolwork and friends, but I have pretty much isolated myself. my parents tell me that I need to start seeing friends more and they just don't understand. I don't want to be around that sort of stuff, yet, to be with friends I have to. is there any way to resolve this?
    • Re: friends and drinking

hi.im kind in a similar situation.i went to a new school n so i have friends from my old school n the ones from the new one.there are some who drink,do drugs,n it is hard to tell em im not into such stuff, i mean,we all just want to have a good time n feel accepted.i almost gave in to fit in with them,but me friends who are clean saved me from self-destruction.in short,surround yourself with pple who have the same values,n it'll work itself out.

I think you have 3 options here. One, would be to talk to your friends and come to a compromise. Tell them that you want to hangout with them sometimes, and if they could not drink and/or do drugs while around you. You don't have to hangout in larger groups, maybe you should just hangout with the friends you are closest to. If they value your friendship, they'll understand and be cool about it. You said some of your friends started drinking and doing drugs, so maybe you can still hangout with the ones that don't.

Second, would be to find new friends. As you get older you'll find yourself drifting from friends you were close to when you were younger. You're experiencing new things and people's interests change. It would be good for you to find friends with interests similar to your own. You'll feel more comfortable and be able to hangout with them often.

Third, would be to do both options, but only if option one works out in your favor. If it doesn't, then you'll need just to find new friends. If it does, then you can occasionally hangout with your old friends, but still have new friends that you can hangout with more often. Things are going to change and you can't just isolate yourself, you have to work with it.

Hope this helped. Good luck with everything.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

I think that you need to also try and show your friends that doing drugs and/or drinking can have some horribille consuquences. You need to confront your friends and not let them continue down that path. If they listen, then everythings good. If they don't, then you know that you tried, and then you need to go out and find friends that make better choices.

Ok, I know this may be hard to hear, but distance yourself from those people. The last thing you, or any productive individual needs, is drug addicted friends. If they still ask you to hang out, then make it clear the there will be no drinking/drugs. If they try to quit, be obsessively supportive and help them out of it. but as long as they are in that state of addiction, they are nothing but trouble. Find some new friends too. You need at least one close friend who is on the straight and narrow. because otherwise you are gonna get dragged in. Most of them will see the problems with what they are doing sooner or later.

several of my friends smoke and a couple have tried alcohol. i don't know any heavy drinkers or drug users, but they respect my decision to avoid any and all of that altogether. when I'm around they don't smoke, but if one feels the need, they'd ask if it's okay or not. (i have asthma, so the smoke bothers me). the way is see it is it's their decision, you can't fully chance people to your expectations. if that's what they want to do, fine. it doesn't really affect me personally. sure, i wish they wouldn't for their health, and they know that, but in any case i accepted that that's part of who they are now. if you make a big fuss, you'll distance yourself from them, plus they're likely to label you as a fun killer of sorts. these are the rebellious years for many people, and you just need to learn to accept things as they are.

I'm in that same boat. My best friend didn't drink before, but now she's getting wasted every weekend and I can't hang out with her since she becomes a whole different person when she's like this. She gets loud, rowdy, rude, and although she's having fun puking - I can't even hold a real conversation with her and I hardly see her anymore. This is life, unfortunately. That transition, that change is just a part of growing up. They're still your friends, but they're just different when they're under the influence.

I'd like to suggest you confront your friends about it and let them know how you feel. I'm assuming that you're still down with hanging out with them so long as there's no alcohol or drugs present, so let them know that. If things don't work out, then maybe it's time for you to distant yourself away from them and work on finding new friends.

Good luck!
      [CENTER]You bitches are beautiful. :hugs:[/CENTER]

Well, I understand you. If you don't want to be with they, you don't have make it! You must have your opinion and you have to find those friends who are like you. I know, that it's very difficult but very important. And remember: Not all teenagers are the same ;)
      So Good Luck ;)

well in my school, a lot of us at weekends go out for a few drinks, not too much usually but it happens, and some people do drugs at partys and stuff, and usually theres a few who have too much to drink at the partys

anyway there are a bunch of us who dont drink or do drugs at all, we dont pressure them to do it, nor make fun of them for not doing it

personally i drink but at the minute dont do drugs

anyway if you want to hang out with your friends then do, try telling them that you dont drink or do drugs, im sure the better of the friends would understand and leave it at that
      we all got troubles, we all got pain, we try to hang onto love, try to keep it the same, we all got issues, i put mine in my songs, sometimes im not fine but im carrying on

ok well, ive been drinking for a few years, its not a big deal, i have some friends who dont drink that much and thats cool, no1 really cares, like i have friends that are really into like weed and stuff, im not hugely into, started a tiny bit, bt if i dont want any, they couldnt care less, just because your friends do that doesnt mean you should close yourself off to society, thats just plain stupid to me, unless they are putting peer pressure on you to do that stuff then thats wrong and you probably should either tell them to stop or not hang out with them anymore!! dont ruin your friendship with someone just because they drink and do drugs!!

Try talking to your friends about it. Let them know how you feel.
      Or suggest hanging out sometime on the weekends, go to the movies or just hang out like you used to.
      If they don't change, then it's best to just find new friends if you feel so uncomfortable with it.
      [CENTER]If ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt; ya never get hurt, ya always have fun; and if ya ever get lonely just go to the record storeand visit your friends.[/CENTER]

I'd suggest trying to make some friends that DON'T drink or do drugs.

If the friends you have now are constantly getting drunk or high, that's not exactly a healthy environment to be in. Besides, it's always good to broaden your horizon and make some new friends. It sounds like in your case, it's necessary.
      [COLOR="Silver"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]Back me down from backing up
      Hold your breath, now, it's s t a c k i n g up!
      Etched with marks, but I can deal
      And you're the p r o b l e m, and you can't feel.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

I know you said you don't want to drink and do drugs, and in my opinion you could just have a bit, but whatever you do, DON'T DO THE DRUGS. You don't have to go out and get leathered then frail out, just have a little bit of something, and maybe you won't feel as on edge about it. As long as you aren't drinking every night, it won't harm you.
      [FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="1"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      i fucking love parkway drive.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/RIGHT][/FONT]