Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

• Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

I have the opinion that some atheists feel a desperate need to disprove the existence of god because they are unable to disprove the existence of god and this makes them uncomfortable.

in other words they are seeking confirmation of their beliefs which doesn't exist because it is impossible to prove any side.

feel free to hack into my opinion because obviously I do not know every single atheist or agnostic. I want to know why.

I personally believe in god because he has come down and touched my life, given me courage to do things that I would never consider doing, made me see his will instead of mine.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Re: Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

It's subjective, but atheism means that they don't believe in God in contrast to agnostics who are uncertain. As such, they feel inclined to validate their absolute disbelief by locking it against a theist.

On average, atheists tend to be a minority and with the theological generation gap, many atheists have families who do not receive their belief system very well. As such, it's aggrandized.

And many others have an elitist mindset that makes them genuinely believe that they are more intelligent/enlightened/cultured/whatever than theists. There are absolutely zealots on both sides, but I wrote an article on Atheistic Zeal that you might enjoy.
      Sweet dreams.

I enjoyed that thoroughly though I might want to add that you should be careful as to not become overzealous yourself. Personally I think that the sequence

sin doesn't exist
      some random

neither does your brain obviously
      you

that was slightly provocative and possibly offensive although I definately get your point of view. Now I want to read what you said towards theists.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm only abrasive when I know that that's the way the opposing party is going to learn. It's a matter of conditioning yourself to the way the individual is best going to understand something.

I never got around to writing the Theistic Zeal article, unfortunately. When I sat down to write it, I lost the interest in the two-part series and dropped it to write other things. The key points that I was going to write about are snubbing and pressuring others to believe the same thing.

I, myself, have had to deal with such fundamentals babbling because my theology isn't in sync with their's, so I'm familiar with the zeal of both, but lost interest in doing so.
      Sweet dreams.

I've got no problem with atheists, just as long as they aren't overzealous like Ripple claims. I once knew this fat lesbian atheist chick that was loud, abrasive, and visually disgusting with her constant claims of how she was right and how the rest of the world who believed in God and religion in general were wrong. Hate people like that, especially if they're fat

Probably for the same reason that many christians are so desperate to prove god. Of course not all of them are but i know quite a few who try and push their views onto everyone over things that i personally see as coincidence.
      It can neither be proved or disproved. It's all about each individuals faith and beliefs so i find it pointless to argue over his existance.
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/CENTER]

Well I think the religious people are wrong, too. I just don't care.

Likewise, religious people think atheists are wrong, so what's the difference?

The difference is in attitude. One can respectfully disagree with another and still maintain the same belief system.

Probably for the same reason that many christians are so desperate to prove god. Of course not all of them are but i know quite a few who try and push their views onto everyone over things that i personally see as coincidence.
      It can neither be proved or disproved. It's all about each individuals faith and beliefs so i find it pointless to argue over his existance.

Christian zeal is a bit different.

In general, Christians try to prove their view point because it's directly related to their actual beliefs to do so. Likewise, it's their view that those who don't believe are condemned, so the forcing of such usually stems from a desire to prevent this.

That's in a general sense, anyway. Either way, doesn't make it right.

The proof is in the pudding.
      Sweet dreams.

Just my two cents, but I've never known anyone who actually "pushes" atheism or is desperate to try to disprove god. I HAVE however been told that I'm going to hell by a complete stranger unless I read his book, been yelled at by strange women telling me that if I didn't love Jesus I'd burn forever and also had to listen to religious people talk about how natural disasters are great for killing off fags and voodoo cultists. I fucking hate walking downtown in this city... :(

For a question so linked to the meaning of life as the existence of God, people who take fundamental sides on it are usually quite desperate to get some certainty out of it. I must say though I've only seen this 'atheist desperation' in those who make a strict adherence to logic and reason an overt part of their personality, so much so that it becomes a caricature.

I've heard smug Christians speaking from an anti-evolution point of view that atheists are desperate to prove evolution with 'half-baked evidence' because admitting the existence of a God creates responsibility for a response. Whilst I disagree with this 'responsibility', the idea that evolution evidence is 'half baked' and often the smug overtones it comes with, there is a kind of truth in the theme that they run with.

On a side note, can we chill out with the theological threads? I know we've had our religious waves in the section before, but this is getting saturated.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

To be fair, I would see it as religion constantly trying to prove the existence of God.

But then, I don't think you can really prove the existence of something spiritual to another person. Everyone has to find it themselves. I don't believe in 'God' (as what Christians would think of) but I do believe in an omnipotent spiritual being. If people ask me how I know there's something more to this life than what Atheists believe, I have to reply saying 'I just know'. Because you just can't explain it.
      You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.

To grossly generalize all atheists as desperate to disprove god is as offensive as it is idoitic. I'm an atheist, and I'm not 'desperate' to disprove anything. If someone starts fucking around with me about religion then yes, I will state my opinions, but it isn't desperate. It is my right to state my beliefs or lack thereof. I don't shatter Christian egos unless they jab at me first.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

isitso wrote:

To grossly generalize all atheists as desperate to disprove god is as offensive as it is idoitic.
      Uhh...

aqua12345678 wrote:

I have the opinion that some atheists feel a desperate need to disprove the existence of god because they are unable to disprove the existence of god and this makes them uncomfortable.

in other words they are seeking confirmation of their beliefs which doesn't exist because it is impossible to prove any side.

feel free to hack into my opinion because obviously I do not know every single atheist or agnostic. I want to know why.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^^^^I was replying to the title of the thread. He seemed to be forming a false hypothesis about atheists, so I wanted to stress that it was not true.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

If you read the post, you wouldn't have been laboring under the delusion that he was, "grossly generalizing all atheists as desperate to disprove god."

You see, I really don't like it when people cherry-pick portions of posts, or in your case titles, to fit their contention. So don't hyperbolize me as having a "bitch fit" over word choice.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

If you read the post, you wouldn't have been laboring under the delusion that he was, "grossly generalizing all atheists as desperate to disprove god."

You see, I really don't like it when people cherry-pick portions of posts, or in your case titles, to fit their contention. So don't hyperbolize me as having a "bitch fit" over word choice.

That's how an interesting discussion goes. You pick things that you don't agree with and go over them in your post. There is a conflict between title vs OP, and I pointed out the flaws in the ideas stated in the title. If it's what you 'really don't like' then that's just too bad. Would you like to contribute to the discussion and provide useful feedback to the OP, or would you like to continue your meaningless banter?

The post was edited 1 time, last by isitso ().

isitso wrote:

That's how an interesting discussion goes. You pick things that you don't agree with and go over them in your post. There is a conflict between title vs OP, and I pointed out the flaws in the ideas stated in the title. If it's what you 'really don't like' then that's just too bad. Would you like to contribute to the discussion and provide useful feedback to the OP, or would you like to continue your meaningless banter?
      Generally in a thread, the user posts a general idea in the title, and then elaborates in his post.

And now you're beginning to take my statements out of context. I never said anything about picking arguments out and going over them. I said cherry-picking. There's a substantial difference between picking quotes within their context and replying, compared to cherry-picking quotes to take a statement out of context. The OP implicitly stated that "some" atheist appear desperate to disprove God.
      Unless you didn't read the original post, it's rather difficult to find a flaw that isn't there. You're starting to climb an exponentially increasing hill of fallacious logic with me, and it's not going to work.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Generally in a thread, the user posts a general idea in the title, and then elaborates in his post.

And now you're beginning to take my statements out of context. I never said anything about picking arguments out and going over them. I said cherry-picking. There's a substantial difference between picking quotes within their context and replying, compared to cherry-picking quotes to take a statement out of context. The OP implicitly stated that "some" atheist appear desperate to disprove God.
      Unless you didn't read the original post, it's rather difficult to find a flaw that isn't there. You're starting to climb an exponentially increasing hill of fallacious logic with me, and it's not going to work.

:rofl:
      If I was taking you seriously I would provide more serious and thoughtful answers. I just like to watch you squirm around in your little glee. It's cute.