Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

• Re: Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

That's how an interesting discussion goes. You pick things that you don't agree with and go over them in your post. There is a conflict between title vs OP, and I pointed out the flaws in the ideas stated in the title. If it's what you 'really don't like' then that's just too bad. Would you like to contribute to the discussion and provide useful feedback to the OP, or would you like to continue your meaningless banter?

I was trying to figure out how to make the title short enough and I cut out the word 'some' which I maybe shouldn't have done. But I tried to make up for it by stating that I understood that it was not every atheist and that I am not nessesarily right and I want to be corrected in the post. Although such an out there statement in the title was always going to attract a lot of attention because it is a challenge to all atheists.

I accept that there are a lot of religious people who try and tell you what to believe but you have to understand that from the point of view of a religious person that you are going to suffer eternally if they don't convince you otherwise. Unfortunately as is the way of human nature not all of these people do it in a good way and so often people are angry because they are told how to live their lives without real reasoning.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alli wrote:

I personally am atheist, and I don't feel a need to prove he doesn't exist. It's what I believe and I don't need to justify it to other people. Now if someone asks me why I am an atheist I will tell them all my reasons, but I'm not going to shove it down their throat.

I agree with this. No one should force their beliefs on someone else, but neither should they have to justify them. Although I think it's okay to question each others beliefs as long as an argument doesn't follow :)
      You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.

As an Atheist, I hear from Christians that I'm going to hell.

As a Christian, I heard from atheists that I'm crazy.

I'd rather be going to hell than be crazy.

To the OP: I'm not trying to disprove anything as an Atheist. All I know is, ever since I turned into an Atheist, I am now perceived as a negative person. /shrug

If I was taking you seriously I would provide more serious and thoughtful answers. I just like to watch you squirm around in your little glee. It's cute.

Concession of defeat/stonewall?

I'd rather be going to hell than be crazy.

So, wait. Someone else's opinion of you is what leads you to your beliefs? Are you not comfortable enough in your own sanity to be earnest in your commitments?
      Sweet dreams.

Ripplemagne wrote:

Concession of defeat/stonewall?

So, wait. Someone else's opinion of you is what leads you to your beliefs? Are you not comfortable enough in your own sanity to be earnest in your commitments?

I don't believe in Christianity or any mainstream religion because I believe in science, which is why I'm an agnostic. I'm plenty comfortable. All Catholics believe if you do not believe Jesus Christ is your lord and savior, you're going to hell, place of sinners, place of crazy people.

Go ahead, I'm waiting on you to manipulate this post like you did my first.

I don't believe in Christianity or any mainstream religion because I believe in science, which is why I'm an agnostic. I'm plenty comfortable. All Catholics believe if you do not believe Jesus Christ is your lord and savior, you're going to hell, place of sinners, place of crazy people.

Go ahead, I'm waiting on you to manipulate this post like you did my first.

Who was manipulating your post? I was asking a question. You people need to stop taking everything as a personal attack.

Catholicism is not the only branch of Christianity and, besides, is probably the most warped denomination in my view. Many Christians don't even believe in Hell and even the ones who do vary in a plethora of doctrines. You're generalizing, my friend.

I don't see how Science conflicts with Christianity in the least, but whatever. How does believing in Christianity make one crazy? Or if you don't believe that Christians are crazy, how was the comment about craziness versus damnation relevant? The idea that someone believing in Christianity is a result of craziness makes no sense in light of the fact that more people believe it than any other religion in the world. If anything, it's more crazy to identify with an outlook that "everyone is crazy, but me."

But I wouldn't be audacious to make the claim that all atheists are crazy because such a broad generalization is absurd.
      Sweet dreams.

Why do we feel the need to disprove God?
      Maybe because over time, religion has killed more people than any other unnatural cause ever? People unneccesarilly(sp?) give their own and take others' lives for "Gods" every single day, despite evidence contradicting them getting stronger year by year.

What have we got that disproves Gods? Anything science-based pretty much does that.
      What have relious people got that proves Gods? Aincient texts that were almost definitely created either because the people at the time had a lesser understanding of the world as we do now, or simply as metaphors to live by to try and improve life in times when people died young and lived little.

Yeah everyone's entitled to their own views, but I find this argument is rarely reversed on the religous. I don't care if my view on it offends religious people, have they never stopped to think that maybe their views offend Atheists?

Take your pic, thousands more years of ruthless killing in the name of "Gods", or a world full of people that deal with things in a logical manner?

Common sense.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]

i don't think they're seeking confirmation of their beliefs. i think most atheists who are like that are just people who have been judged by their friends and family for their disbelief in god, so they start being hostile and constantly trying to down everyone else's beliefs as a sort of defense mechanism.

Maybe because over time, religion has killed more people than any other unnatural cause ever? People unneccesarilly(sp?) give their own and take others' lives for "Gods" every single day, despite evidence contradicting them getting stronger year by year.

Religion kills people or do crazy people kill people? Stalin was an atheist. By that logic, the atheism has killed more people than the Holocaust's entire tenure -- in one year.

What have we got that disproves Gods? Anything science-based pretty much does that.

Examples?

What have relious people got that proves Gods? Aincient texts that were almost definitely created either because the people at the time had a lesser understanding of the world as we do now, or simply as metaphors to live by to try and improve life in times when people died young and lived little.

Sure. If you discount the Teldon Stella, historical accounts of Jesus and his miracles (including persecutors of Christianity), the "coincidence" of everything in the Bible adding up to what we know about the world today in both science and history, the discovery of the Hittites, the frailties of abiogensis, documentation of the sky darkening during Passover (when Yeshua was crucified), among numerous other gems of information.

It sucks when you put yourself on such a high pedestal that it bruises when you get knocked down, huh?
      Sweet dreams.

I don't know if that logic applies, because Stalin wasn't killing in the name of atheism. Also, to my knowledge, the bible isn't the most accurate or realistic interpretation of the past, yet people down here (the South) certainly claim it to be so.

I'm sure there's some fact rooted in the Bible. I would hope so, anyways. However, the massive amounts of what appears to be story telling turns me off from ever considering to take it seriously.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Yoboseyo?
      [/CENTER]

Zen wrote:

I don't know if that logic applies, because Stalin wasn't killing in the name of atheism. Also, to my knowledge, the bible isn't the most accurate or realistic interpretation of the past, yet people down here (the South) certainly claim it to be so.

I'm sure there's some fact rooted in the Bible. I would hope so, anyways. However, the massive amounts of what appears to be story telling turns me off from ever considering to take it seriously.

Thank you, saved me some tired typing.

And yeah there's bound to be some fact in all religious texts, otherwise the people wouldn't have believed them in the first place would they?
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]

don't know if that logic applies, because Stalin wasn't killing in the name of atheism.

It doesn't matter. The point was that you can't lump someone's religious ties to their crazy actions. Christianity, itself, is not responsible for the crusades or the dark ages -- people in power who convoluted it did.

Is Communism/Socialsm responsible for the deaths of people? Or are psychotic dictators?

This mentality completely alleviates the individual of their own transgressions and makes a scape goat out Religion. It's no different than Jack Thompson and his crusade against violent video games.

It's an immature mentality to scape goat something in that manner.

Also, to my knowledge, the bible isn't the most accurate or realistic interpretation of the past, yet people down here (the South) certainly claim it to be so.

Well, what's inaccurate?

You're entitled to believe whatever you want and I have no problem with that, but BlockHead's intolerant, close minded, belligerent attitude is naturally going to provoke response.
      Sweet dreams.

I wasn't supporting any sort of belief there but merely criticizing the approach you took in your reply. I personally believe all individuals are responsible for their own actions, but if a belief system encourages that action, then that belief must also take at least some blame.

My view on religious texts and inaccuracy is that blatant untruths and contradictions are not ignorable. Doing so is ignorant.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Yoboseyo?
      [/CENTER]