Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

• Re: Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

documentation of the sky darkening during Passover (when Yeshua was crucified)

Ripplemagne, if you are christian then why did you refer to pesach (passover) and Yeshua rather than talking in a christian context with Jesus and Easter.
      I come from a Jewish background so I am glad to see someone recognising Yeshua's Jewish roots and I am interested as to why.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ripplemagne, if you are christian then why did you refer to pesach (passover) and Yeshua rather than talking in a christian context with Jesus and Easter.
      I come from a Jewish background so I am glad to see someone recognising Yeshua's Jewish roots and I am interested as to why.

Actually, I'm a Nazarene and it's important historical content in its full context.

"On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness. The rocks were rent by an earthquake and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover. But an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time... Phlegon records that, in the time of Tiberius Caesar, at full moon, there was a full eclipse of the sun from the sixth hour to the ninth-manifestly that one of which we speak." -- Thallus, Chronography XVIII, 47

And Yeshua was his real name. Jesus is just a mistranslation of a mistranslation that means Messiah. Same with Christ.
      Sweet dreams.

DamnImGood wrote:

I am an atheist and I couldn't care less about proving or disproving God's existence. I accepted it a long time ago that it is impossible to do either.

Pretty much the same here. I live in America and believe that everyone has their own rights to believe in what ever they want. As for me, I don't try to force what I believe on others but I will give my opinion especially if they try to force their beliefs on others, which is what many Christians try to do. When they do that it is a direct violation of a persons first amendment rights.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

When it comes to religion
      Check out my Album.
      :)Max:)

Because Christians and other religions are so desprate to shove god down our throats. I never tell someone what they believe is wrong, because how the hell do I know? But when they're shoving their beliefs in my face I feel like I have to stick up for myself and show them that my veiws are just as logical as theirs. Let's pretend that America was an Atheist country(assuming you live in America.) and you had to talk about a lack of god in the pledge, had atheist groups coming to your door step all the time, you were ridiculed for standing up for your beliefes; wouldn't that get just a little annoying. Sometimes we have to rebel and just get pissed. And there are a million posters like the one you've shown here that ridicule Atheism. You're only looking at it from one point of veiw; try seeing it from my eyes.

Ripplemagne wrote:

Actually, I'm a Nazarene and it's important historical content in its full context.

"On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness. The rocks were rent by an earthquake and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover. But an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time... Phlegon records that, in the time of Tiberius Caesar, at full moon, there was a full eclipse of the sun from the sixth hour to the ninth-manifestly that one of which we speak." -- Thallus, Chronography XVIII, 47

And Yeshua was his real name. Jesus is just a mistranslation of a mistranslation that means Messiah. Same with Christ.

Hey, I don't know if I've ever posed this question to you, even though we've covered this or similar debates on Arg:

Whether or not you (or anyone for that matter) can prove or disprove the existence of God, Jesus, miracles, heaven/hell, etc., why does it matter to you? Do you really believe the existence, or lack thereof, of these beings will significantly change who you are and what you do, the choices you make, etc?

Again, I'm just curious to know your stance on that.
      Love it when you call me Legs
      In the morning, buy me eggs

For most of my life, i've considered myself somewhat of an "Anti-theist", meaning that i believe religion, or the belief in a [or several] god is a bad thing.

Whilst we all know politicians are pretty corrupt anyway, lets use them as an example.
      How many politicians have used religion as justification for their acts of terror?
      How often do different religions come to blows simply because of a differing belief?

Catholics. Muslims. Jews. Protestants. Jehovah's witnesses.
      Just naming a few religions of the top of my head there. How many of you have had a representative from one of the above religions come to your door, or stop you in a city centre, or something similar, to preach their beliefs and try to convert you to their respective religions?
      And how often do you find an atheist in the street, handing out "Anti-God" leaflets, shouting about how all those who believe in god are insane, are infidels, are social outcasts?
      Not often. This has NEVER happened to me, and i've never seen it happen to anyone else.

So ask yourself this.
      Why are Theists so desperate to prove god?
      ~Kiwi

The Atheists that want to disprove God are exactly like the Theists who want to prove God. They're just on opposite sides of the spectrum.
      [COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]To make my dreams come true. To protect the ones I love. And to keep fighting.
      The star inside my heart... please keep on shining strong and bring me power![/FONT][/COLOR]

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

The only thing worse than a smart-ass is a dumb smart-ass.

Edit : Disregard that, I suck cocks.

But anyway, with this whole debauchery with the Texas School board changing their school curriculum to a more right-wing, fundamentalist take on it is part of the reason why some people feel the need to convince other people that god doesn't exist. You know, just so when ridiculous stuff like this happen, people would actually be outraged and say "Fuck you and your religious beliefs, get your hands off my textbooks." I mean this isn't even that new of a thing. Advocates of creationism, and more recently intelligent design, have been trying to get into science classrooms for a very long time. Thankfully, they've been kept out of SCIENCE classrooms by sane people, atheists the lot of them i'm pretty sure.

huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/13/…-massacre-u_n_498003.html

The post was edited 1 time, last by gardenhead ().

Also what is the main reasons for most of the wars of history? You guessed it, religion. Turn the other cheek? Yea right, like they ever did that. Look what they did to anyone who believed in something different than what they believed it. Rome fell because of religion as a main reason, Persia, Egypt, Babylonia, almost every ancient civilization fell because of religion being one of the main reasons for their downfall. So why is that? Because of hypocritical idiots that are closed minded and ignorant and believe in something that can't even be proven at all.
      Check out my Album.

Djugashvili wrote:

Why are confused Christians so desperate to prove something that doesn't exist?
      What you stupid religious folk think is: There is no proof he does not exist so it must exist.
      I haven't seen one religious person say God exists solely because there's no proof against his existence.

As delusional as the "but you can't prove he doesn't exist" argument may be, you took it out of context.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Today my teacher told me being gay was wrong. And then he said, "sorry if you are."... Really?... That's why people want to disprove God because there are people who are overly religious and think it's ok to push that shit on other people. So let me ask you this, why are religious people so desperate to spread their religion? What other people do and believe is none of their damn business. After what happened today, I have no respect for people that religious.

xNerRadx wrote:

Today my teacher told me being gay was wrong. And then he said, "sorry if you are."... Really?... That's why people want to disprove God because there are people who are overly religious and think it's ok to push that shit on other people. So let me ask you this, why are religious people so desperate to spread their religion? What other people do and believe is none of their damn business. After what happened today, I have no respect for people that religious.

Because they are idiotic and feel that they have to prove what they believe no matter what. Even if it could harm the person in a horrendous way. The sad thing is that the majority of America are just like that. Over 60 % of people in America are of a form of Christianity thats not counting the other religions. I claim no religion because I am against the concept of being an idiot and living blindly on what a damn book says.
      Check out my Album.

Whether or not you (or anyone for that matter) can prove or disprove the existence of God, Jesus, miracles, heaven/hell, etc., why does it matter to you? Do you really believe the existence, or lack thereof, of these beings will significantly change who you are and what you do, the choices you make, etc?

You have to consider what Christian doctrine implies. Those who don't believe suffer a terrible fate and caring for my fellow human being, I wish to see them not suffer such a fate. Beyond that, there's a popular misconception among today's society that one can't be intelligent and theistic simultaneously; I look to show others that this is a false notion and broaden their perspectives on the subject.

Much as you would likely care about getting out the word that smoking is bad for you, et cetera. The same is applicable.

In some respect, it will change the way I react to things and in others it won't. Such a question is far too broad to answer. There are elements of my life and major points and such that would have to be reevaluated if it were proven to me that God does not, indeed, exist.

Pretty much the same here. I live in America and believe that everyone has their own rights to believe in what ever they want. As for me, I don't try to force what I believe on others but I will give my opinion especially if they try to force their beliefs on others, which is what many Christians try to do. When they do that it is a direct violation of a persons first amendment rights.

The First Amendment says nothing about a right not to hear someone else's opinion. What it does protect is the right to free speech, so actually, the First Amendment protects their right to argue the subject with you.

And really, the Christians who are very hostile about the subject are the vast minority. Unfortunately, they are also the loudest group, which makes them the most visible.

you had to talk about a lack of god in the pledge

You're perfectly entitled to skip that part of the Pledge of Allegiance.

had atheist groups coming to your door step all the time

This one is kind of petty, I'm sorry to say. You are perfectly entitled to tell them that you're not interested, et al. There's really no reason to feel angry about evangelists preaching, to be perfectly blunt.

you were ridiculed for standing up for your beliefe

I don't have to imagine this one. In case you weren't aware, Christians are berated and ridiculed just as readily in certain places. The internet, for example, is atheist dominated. On most forums, all you have to do is say that you're a Christian and everyone will start in with "LOL INVISIBLE SKY DADDY" and "LOL IMAGINARY FREND" at the drop of a hat. Schools, probably most unions, among other liberal-dominated organizations are quite hostile to religion.

Before you think that your views are the only ones that meet with resistance, please understand that hate is in all groups and they will work with a gang mentality to snuff out opposing views. There is nothing about the particular view that causes that; just the stupidity of the individuals involved.

Why do Christians find it right to try their best to prove god and force it upon others yet criticize athiests when they do the opposite? Pray on that one.

Because there's no real reason for an atheist to do it. Most Christians believe that non-believers are damned and are trying to ensure that that doesn't happen.

Also what is the main reasons for most of the wars of history? You guessed it, religion. Turn the other cheek? Yea right, like they ever did that. Look what they did to anyone who believed in something different than what they believed it. Rome fell because of religion as a main reason, Persia, Egypt, Babylonia, almost every ancient civilization fell because of religion being one of the main reasons for their downfall. So why is that? Because of hypocritical idiots that are closed minded and ignorant and believe in something that can't even be proven at all.

First of all, you're going to have to document that the fall of Rome was due to Religion because I could have sworn it had to do with a terrible King and the Gaths laying siege to it. Likewise, you'll have to document all of your other claims about religion being the major cause of war, et cetera.

It also seems that you're looking at religious people by only looking at those who are in power. Would you say that everyone in Europe during the Dark Ages was greedy because some of the Kings and noblemen were? An individual choosing to do wrong does not have anything to do with the religious belief in which they follow. All you're demonstrating is the flaws in man, which the Bible stresses throughout.

So, you saying "like they ever did that" is very silly because you're basing every single Christian ever on the action of a few greedy individuals with too much power. Would it be fair of me to say that everyone who believes in Global Warming is a glutton because Al Gore is? No, that's a bad argument.

Because they are idiotic and feel that they have to prove what they believe no matter what. Even if it could harm the person in a horrendous way. The sad thing is that the majority of America are just like that. Over 60 % of people in America are of a form of Christianity thats not counting the other religions. I claim no religion because I am against the concept of being an idiot and living blindly on what a damn book says.

So, I'm an ignorant, hypocritical, close-minded idiot living blindly, am I?
      Sweet dreams.

Believers and non believers are just having their typical debate among each other, in one of those topics that isn't so clear to anyone:p
      It's annoying when athiests act like they are definitely sure, when they might actually be criticizing something that's real.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fashion ().

Read the bill of rights. If you're an idiot and don't know what that means its the first 10 amendments.

Here is part of the First amendment dealing with religion.

Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance; the concept is generally recognized also to include the freedom to change religion or not to follow any religion.[1] Freedom of religion is considered by many people and nations to be a fundamental human right.[2] Thomas Jefferson said (1807) "among the inestimable of our blessings, also, is that ...of liberty to worship our Creator in the way we think most agreeable to His will; ..."[3]

In a country with a state religion, freedom of religion is generally considered to mean that the government permits religious practices of other sects besides the state religion, and does not persecute believers in other faiths.

For more or the rest of the it

United States Bill of Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Check out my Album.