Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

• Re: Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

max123987 wrote:

Because they are idiotic and feel that they have to prove what they believe no matter what. Even if it could harm the person in a horrendous way. The sad thing is that the majority of America are just like that. Over 60 % of people in America are of a form of Christianity thats not counting the other religions. I claim no religion because I am against the concept of being an idiot and living blindly on what a damn book says.
      The only sad thing here is that you just shoved all Christians into a single, disdainful category. You may find it wise to accept that not all Christians are bible-thumping morons who are closed-minded and ignorant. Then perhaps you can make the claim that, "I am against the concept of being an idiot," without being hypocritical. But I won't hold my breath.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Read the bill of rights. If you're an idiot and don't know what that means its the first 10 amendments.

Here is part of the First amendment dealing with religion.

Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance; the concept is generally recognized also to include the freedom to change religion or not to follow any religion.[1] Freedom of religion is considered by many people and nations to be a fundamental human right.[2] Thomas Jefferson said (1807) "among the inestimable of our blessings, also, is that ...of liberty to worship our Creator in the way we think most agreeable to His will; ..."[3]

In a country with a state religion, freedom of religion is generally considered to mean that the government permits religious practices of other sects besides the state religion, and does not persecute believers in other faiths.

For more or the rest of the it

Trust me, I'm very familiar with the Constitution. Moreso than trivial pre-collegiate facts like "the Bill of Rights is the first ten amendments of the Constitution." So, lets talk about the Constitution, shall we? Allow me to quote the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, what you quoted from Wikipedia is a description of Freedom of Speech and is found nowhere in the Constitution. Though, I'll accept that you may have mixed up your ideas and meant to define Fredom of Speech rather than quote the First Amendment. We all make mistakes.

But your conclusion, thereafter, is highly flawed. There isn't a single point where the practice of evangelism is opposed. What it does oppose is making state religion, which means an official religion in which all citizens must abide by. This means that no law can be put in effect that tells you that you can only believe in a certain thing. However, it mentions nothing about individuals exercising the freedom of speech they're granted in that same amendment to try and sway your view on the subject.

Like I said, the First Amendment protects an individual from voicing their opinion. You are free to believe whatever you want, but everyone else is free to disagree with you and attempt to explain why they believe you're wrong.

By the way, do you plan on responding to the rest of my post or are you content dodging it? ;)
      Sweet dreams.

because the two had opposite beliefs.
      We base our beliefs because we ourselves
      are changed. We had experienced it..
      we're proving it because in every atheist who
      wants to disprove God, we felt pain too..not hatred.

Ripplemagne wrote:

Trust me, I'm very familiar with the Constitution. Moreso than trivial pre-collegiate facts like "the Bill of Rights is the first ten amendments of the Constitution." So, lets talk about the Constitution, shall we? Allow me to quote the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, what you quoted from Wikipedia is a description of Freedom of Speech and is found nowhere in the Constitution. Though, I'll accept that you may have mixed up your ideas and meant to define Fredom of Speech rather than quote the First Amendment. We all make mistakes.

But your conclusion, thereafter, is highly flawed. There isn't a single point where the practice of evangelism is opposed. What it does oppose is making state religion, which means an official religion in which all citizens must abide by. This means that no law can be put in effect that tells you that you can only believe in a certain thing. However, it mentions nothing about individuals exercising the freedom of speech they're granted in that same amendment to try and sway your view on the subject.

Like I said, the First Amendment protects an individual from voicing their opinion. You are free to believe whatever you want, but everyone else is free to disagree with you and attempt to explain why they believe you're wrong.

By the way, do you plan on responding to the rest of my post or are you content dodging it? ;)

Let me make a point, IT IS ILLEGAL TO TRY AND FORCE SOMEONE TO BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU BELIEVE IF THE PERSON DOES NOT WANT TO BELIEVE IT. IT GOES AGAINST THEIR RIGHTS. End of point. I don't try and force what I believe on others but I do say my opinions when I feel like it. I expect other people to do the same in the United States. It is ILLEGAL to force anything on anyone here in the US. That goes for everyone from a homeless guy with nothing to the President and everything in between. The main point is that it is a violation of a persons civil rights to force something upon the person. Whether it be religion or whether it be a crime or vice of some sorts.
      Check out my Album.
      :)Max:)

Well, why are Christians so desperate to prove God?

I answered this like fourteen times.

Let me make a point, IT IS ILLEGAL TO TRY AND FORCE SOMEONE TO BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU BELIEVE IF THE PERSON DOES NOT WANT TO BELIEVE IT. IT GOES AGAINST THEIR RIGHTS. End of point. I don't try and force what I believe on others but I do say my opinions when I feel like it. I expect other people to do the same in the United States. It is ILLEGAL to force anything on anyone here in the US. That goes for everyone from a homeless guy with nothing to the President and everything in between. The main point is that it is a violation of a persons civil rights to force something upon the person. Whether it be religion or whether it be a crime or vice of some sorts.

No, it's not. Not through mere discussion anyway. Through threats of violence, indoctrination, state Church, et cetera -- yes, it is. But for someone to confront you on the subject is in no way, shape or form illegal. Such is protected by the very Amendment you're clinging to.

You are free to believe whatever you want. I am free to tell you why you're wrong. You're free to ignore me or make a rebuttal. That's how it works.
      Sweet dreams.

You missed the point I was making. I said it was illegal to FORCE anyone to do anything. Lets say you walked up to some one and preached about god and the bible and such, the person says to leave them alone about it for whatever reason they may have, but you keep going on, that is illegal tho not criminal it is still a civil matter of trying to "force" someone to believe in your religion. Now lets say you and a friend are just talking about religion and a person near by asks you not to talk about it for whatever reason, since you are not talking to the said person then its not illegal, may be rude if you continue to talk about it, but in that case it isn't illegal.
      Check out my Album.
      :)Max:)

RBRNR wrote:

Because atheists are over educated. They think there should be a scientific explanation for everything. I personally believe in God.

You act like that's a bad thing. All progress is made through curiosity. Also, I do not think its possible to be "over educated". If so, how is that a bad thing? One should remain ignorant for the comfort?
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Yoboseyo?
      [/CENTER]

RBRNR wrote:

Because atheists are over educated. They think there should be a scientific explanation for everything. I personally believe in God.

This too. Some people are just logical thinkers. Me personally, I just can't grasp the idea of an invisible man who made us out of dust. Doesn't make sense. Where as, the theory that we've evolved from primates, that makes A LOT more sense to me.

Before I say anything I realize Im going to tick off loads of people, so let me just say Im not trying to this is just my honest logic.

Anyways though I believe one of the reasons many athiests are so focused on disproving God and the creation theory is that if their right, they can live the way the choose and they can continue their life unaffected... but if the Christians are right and athiests are bound to go to hell for their disbelief, then they have a serious problem on their hands. The only way they can live without worrying constantly about going to hell is to have total belief that there is no god, and so they are often fierce and hateful toward Christians because if the Christians ARE right, where does that leave the Athiest?

soo Im replying to your comment NerRad... you say evolving from primates makes more sense but uhhh where did these primates come from? and if your seriously using natural selection as your belief, lets just say there is a totally logical explanation to their existance. The Natural Selection process is defined by the furthered improvement of a species based on its ability to survive right? well there are some SERIOUS problems with our evolving from primates... for one thing, body hair is a massive contributor to survival, so why did we lose this HUGE advantage during evolution??? sure its gross but Natural selection could care less. some primates, such as apes, could overpower a human without the tiniest bit of difficulty, so why did we lose this advantage??? sure we have the power of knowledge, but why lose the strength??? Natural Selection focuses on maximizing our attributes in EVERY AREA so why would we lose such great advantages? how in the world would a weaker, less protected from weather creature survive easier in a totally primitive environment than an ape??? they have thicker bones, overpowering strength, body hair for extreme weather survival, brown eyes (( dominant gene because it increases vision, dark colors attract more sunlight allowing for better sight )), and black hair (( also attracts sunlight allowing easier aquisition of warmth ))! if anything we would mantain the basic body structure and anatomy and develop intelligence as an added bonus! My point is that if you delve deep, an 'invisible man' is about the most likely theory out there anyways, Natural Selection as a defence against religion is ridiculous because it disproves itself completely.

remember_him wrote:

Before I say anything I realize Im going to tick off loads of people, so let me just say Im not trying to this is just my honest logic.

Odd...I equate logic with good reasoning skills...:rolleyes:

remember_him wrote:

Anyways though I believe one of the reasons many athiests are so focused on disproving God and the creation theory is that if their right, they can live the way the choose and they can continue their life unaffected...

Lets call it living life within the full range of rights we have, instead of limiting our rights to the rules of a religion.

remember_him wrote:

but if the Christians are right and athiests are bound to go to hell for their disbelief, then they have a serious problem on their hands. The only way they can live without worrying constantly about going to hell is to have total belief that there is no god, and so they are often fierce and hateful toward Christians because if the Christians ARE right, where does that leave the Athiest?

I don't know where you get this at all. I don't know if a god exists or not, but if you were to ask me I'd say that its probable a god does not exist and therefore I wouldn't (likely) believe in any god.
      I don't try to be hateful, and would hope sincerely that I never am, but people have different views on things and sometimes I might seem that way, despite my intentions. I'd say that I'm as fierce in my belief as any preacher/strong christian. I don't see anything wrong with that.
      [CENTER]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

remember_him wrote:

body hair is a massive contributor to survival, so why did we lose this HUGE advantage during evolution??? sure its gross but Natural selection could care less.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

remember_him wrote:

some primates, such as apes, could overpower a human without the tiniest bit of difficulty, so why did we lose this advantage??? sure we have the power of knowledge, but why lose the strength???

Having the strength of a gorilla requires a lot of energies and proteins, things that could be put to better use then having gorilla strength.
      You tell me which looks more effective...

vs

Or even

(remember that 200,000-150,000 years ago man would have been much stronger than what he is today, as a good portion of our proteins and such did go to muscle growth)

remember_him wrote:

Natural Selection focuses on maximizing our attributes in EVERY AREA so why would we lose such great advantages?

Natural selection has never stated that. Natural selection 'picks' animals that suit an environment best and they tend to strive due to their compatibly with that environment.

remember_him wrote:

they have thicker bones, overpowering strength, body hair for extreme weather survival, brown eyes (( dominant gene because it increases vision, dark colors attract more sunlight allowing for better sight )), and black hair (( also attracts sunlight allowing easier aquisition of warmth ))! if anything we would mantain the basic body structure and anatomy and develop intelligence as an added bonus!

The evolution of blond hair and blue eyes among Nordics

Developing great strength and intelligence, while certainly not impossible, is generally implausible. Firstly, if you're smart enough to create a spear or even hold a stick as a weapon your life just got a lot simpler, and you don't have the direct need for great strength. Secondly, as I said above, evolution isn't a miracle worker; we're limited to what we get from the environment and what we get from the environment is put on a 'priority list', and with spears/sticks in hand great strength took a step back and great intelligence took our first priority (thankfully).

remember_him wrote:

My point is that if you delve deep, an 'invisible man' is about the most likely theory out there anyways, Natural Selection as a defence against religion is ridiculous because it disproves itself completely.

I don't believe that to be true. How does saying 'God did it' really answer any questions? You're saying that before there's anything in the universe there's a god. Before there's the simplest anything there's the most complex thing that could possibly exist. That doesn't make things simpler
      [CENTER]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

You missed the point I was making. I said it was illegal to FORCE anyone to do anything. Lets say you walked up to some one and preached about god and the bible and such, the person says to leave them alone about it for whatever reason they may have, but you keep going on, that is illegal tho not criminal it is still a civil matter of trying to "force" someone to believe in your religion. Now lets say you and a friend are just talking about religion and a person near by asks you not to talk about it for whatever reason, since you are not talking to the said person then its not illegal, may be rude if you continue to talk about it, but in that case it isn't illegal.

This is also wrong. You stated that the Constitution protects one's right not to have someone else's Religion preached to them. This is wrong. The First Amendment guarantees one's right to do so.

You are fully capable and within your rights to disregard whatever they're saying, but it is in no way illegal for them to preach to you. Now, it may fall under the jurisdiction of harassment if they follow you around and stalk you for it, though that has absolutely nothing to do with the Constitution and different states have different laws on that particular subject.

Verbatim, you said "When they do that it is a direct violation of a persons first amendment rights." I lucidly demonstrated that this is not the case. There is nothing criminal about preaching. You have the right to tell them to shut up and they have the right to continue regardless. That's how the First Amendment works.

Not quite the case.

This too. Some people are just logical thinkers. Me personally, I just can't grasp the idea of an invisible man who made us out of dust. Doesn't make sense. Where as, the theory that we've evolved from primates, that makes A LOT more sense to me.

You do realize that Evolution and theism are not mutually exclusive, right? In no way does Evolution explain the origin of the universe and I, myself, believe in Evolution.

Also, who told you that God is "invisible"?
      Sweet dreams.

I seemed to have triggered more of an argument than I intended to, *guilty look*. Yes the title was intended to be noticed (and possibly intentionally provocative) and therefore given lots of answers in short time and it succeeded in that respect but it has turned into an argument in which everybody is not listening to anyone else. We have many people repeating themselves to no avail on both sides and I think that since we are arguing off topic and creating no real headway then maybe we should just let it calm down a bit.

Or if you people enjoy hating each other then continue, I'm not going to stop you.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zen wrote:

You act like that's a bad thing. All progress is made through curiosity. Also, I do not think its possible to be "over educated". If so, how is that a bad thing? One should remain ignorant for the comfort?

It is a bad thing to me. I know over educated people, they're so smart they're stupid. They have so much book smarts, that they have very little common sense. Many of these people are depressed deep down, many of them are on meds, and many of them go to pschyatrists. They have a lackluster life and they need to dispute everything you say. They're not fun to be around and their love and friendships are too conditional. They're just "bleh" when you hang around with them.
      Bring it back DJ, bring it back DJ, bring it back bring it back bring it back DJ
      youtube.com/watch?v=bllWzH359vU

RBRNR wrote:

It is a bad thing to me. I know over educated people, they're so smart they're stupid. They have so much book smarts, that they have very little common sense. Many of these people are depressed deep down, many of them are on meds, and many of them go to pschyatrists. They have a lackluster life and they need to dispute everything you say. They're not fun to be around and their love and friendships are too conditional. They're just "bleh" when you hang around with them.

Not everyone is like that, first of all. Secondly, that is barely a reason to want to be of average intelligence. Because you don't like it? Because they're sad? And who are you to judge their lives? I don't understand how one can reasonably find intelligence an inconvenience.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Yoboseyo?
      [/CENTER]