Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

• Re: Why are atheists so desperate to disprove god?

Zen wrote:

Not everyone is like that, first of all. Secondly, that is barely a reason to want to be of average intelligence. Because you don't like it? Because they're sad? And who are you to judge their lives? I don't understand how one can reasonably find intelligence an inconvenience.

Every over educated person I know is exactly like that. They're lame, they're judgemental, they think they're better than everybody else because they read books. I think education is good, but I think living your life around learning really means you have no life.

I'm calling it like it is. Anybody who centers their life around learning that much is too lonely or just straight up boring. I'm judging their lives the same way those snobs judge mine. So I like to watch sports and have a good time, they stick their nose up to that because it's not sophisticated enough. Life is too short to read books. And they don't have common sense. I'm a cashier, you know who has the most common sense out of all my customers? The blue collar guys. They're also the friendliest, coolest, and most fun to talk to at the register.

Believe me, I support education. But those people with too much are just awkward to hold a conversation with.
      Bring it back DJ, bring it back DJ, bring it back bring it back bring it back DJ
      youtube.com/watch?v=bllWzH359vU

The post was edited 12 times, last by RBRNR ().

RBRNR, there's a difference between a pseudo-intellectual and an intellectual. The 16 year old Twilight enthusiasts who try their damndest not to laugh at jokes they deem "immature" (even though, lets be honest, who doesn't enjoy a good fart joke?) and corrects everyone's grammar are pseudo-intellectuals. Savvy?
      Sweet dreams.

Wow ByTor190 let me just first say Im impressed by your argument and to the thread creator hopefully none of us are about to start hating each other over this, and any christian who is upset by this obviously has no right calling himself/herself a christian anyway, and hopefully the athiests arent going to hate us either lol.... so yeah ByTor you have great points and I totally enjoy your argument (( not in an 'oh yeah thats amusing' way but because intelligent opposition is seriously hard to come by in modern society, especially among my teenage peers )). So as far as my side of the debate... You made a point I've heard before, about technology versus physical ability, but I have a different opinion. Sure a pistol makes an ape look a kitten, and a spear in the hands of a warrior still gives us the advantage, but a spear was a huge turning point of humanity, possibly the single most important invention in the history of mankind! a stick would make a humans life much easier, but I'm not even sure chuck norris could do much in a hostile carnivorous environment with a stick... much less an idiotic drooling half human bent on survival... (( and my question still remains, where'd the bloody stick come from???? { probably de-evolved from the stick bug lol no offense } )) and yes knowledge is a better use of energy, but the chances of us losing so many physical advantages just isnt likely, especially since in that type of environment, you have to dominate other males before you get to mate (( no offense girls, just saying )) and pass on your superior genes... so if your losing strength, weather survivability, and vision, you really think any female focused on survival is going to mate with you? you really think the stronger males are going to let you? my point is the switch from strength to intelligence, starting with no intelligence at all, is going to be hard... imagine your neighborhood jock whos totally built but totally illiterate trying to make it in college without a sports scholarship when he couldnt even pass 3rd grade... then add tigers and take away his strength... tell me thats not a funny thought btw =) so anyways yeah if your intelligent you can gain the advantage over the more physically able species, but do you realize how long it would take primitive humans to acquire a spear and loincloth? but moving on, I remember hearing a study, i cannot begin to remember the actual percentage but I remember it was really high lol, but anyways they questioned athiests, and found that most all of them had a problem with biblical rules, or had a traumatizing experience they dont think god should have let happen, and very few actually knew anything about proof against God or religion in general? most didnt even care, they were simply against the rules, or they hated this 'God' person. I understand wanting to absolutely hate God if your mom was say killed in a car accident, but tell me honestly, if you found out she survived one that SHOULD have killed her, do you think you would start going to church? I seriously doubt it. at most you might go to church one time and keep saying 'thank god' even though you dont believe in him. my point is that for most people, not you in particular because I dont know you, as long as things are going your way your ok with this God, but if they dont then he's evil and sadistic and cruel and straight up 'imaginary'. and what I mean by God being more believable... If you can live outside the mental 'laws' of what humans tend to let themselves be bound by, an entity with the power of creation actually makes things sensible, but only if you can have faith, because if you dont believe in it then it doesnt make sense... and an interesting tidbit? no one can be athiest technically, because the TRUE DEFINITION of an athiest is a person who doesnt believe in god or any dieties through absolute proof, which at the current age, is impossible because there is no physical proof known to man showing the absence OR presence of a God. Christians are ok with this because we know that Faith is one of the requirement anyways... 'athiests' (( non-theist would be a more applicable term )) rely on their own logic and understanding to create their own faith as well, so really we're all just hoping that we're right lol

Actually Primitive humans weren't so primitive. Think about it, they found out that obsidian and mica are very very sharp if broken into edges. Think of the Roman, Greek, and Persian empires. Same with the Egyptian empires all were technologically advanced and much of what they came up with is still used today such as simple machines like the pulley or the level. They also came up with very complex machines such as war machines. Then you have the Japanese which created the very sharpest of blades every forged that has lasted for literally hundreds of years and are still sharp enough to kill. In fact the blades made 4, 5, 6 or more centuries were the sharper than what we make now.....so why is it hard to believe that "primitive" humans weren't capable of the same? Also there is evidence that "primitive" humans had about the same IQ as we do today.....So why is that? The questions is simple to answer. It's because we humans do not need anymore intelligence than what we have today or had back then. In respect to religions why would it be so hard for humans to come up with the ideas of religion? My guess is that it was for a form of hope or comfort when things were getting bad....or they couldn't figure something out and wanted to try to explain something but at the time didn't have the technology to do so.....The point is that humans from 10,000 years ago had about the same intelligence as humans does today. The only difference is the technology and the environment.
      Check out my Album.
      :)Max:)

remember_him wrote:

*stuff on evolution*

This stuff didn't just happen, it took 200,000 years, and in that time we became less strong physically and more strong mentally. It's like if you have 50 'points' to distribute to strength and intelligence, at first it would be about 40/10, about halfway it would be 25/25 and now it would be about 10/40. It's a sliding scale, not a bar graph but, a line graph.

remember_him wrote:

but anyways they questioned athiests, and found that most all of them had a problem with biblical rules, or had a traumatizing experience they dont think god should have let happen,

Ritual Human Sacrifice

Rape in the Bible

Murder in the Bible

Slavery in the Bible

I don't know about you, but I have serious moral problems with all of those things.

remember_him wrote:

I understand wanting to absolutely hate God if your mom was say killed in a car accident, but tell me honestly, if you found out she survived one that SHOULD have killed her, do you think you would start going to church?

If you're an atheist, or are religious, for that reason you're an atheist, or are religious, for the wrong reason.
      Atheists don't 'hate' god, we don't believe he exists. We're not angry towards him, we don't believe he exists. We don't believe a god exists.

remember_him wrote:

I seriously doubt it. at most you might go to church one time and keep saying 'thank god' even though you dont believe in him. my point is that for most people, not you in particular because I dont know you, as long as things are going your way your ok with this God, but if they dont then he's evil and sadistic and cruel and straight up 'imaginary'.

Atheists don't believe there is no god because of the moral arguments against him, moral arguments have little/no stake in whether he exists or not. We don't see any/strong enough evidence that a god exists.

remember_him wrote:

and what I mean by God being more believable... If you can live outside the mental 'laws' of what humans tend to let themselves be bound by, an entity with the power of creation actually makes things sensible, but only if you can have faith, because if you dont believe in it then it doesnt make sense...

Why is faith good?

remember_him wrote:

and an interesting tidbit? no one can be athiest technically, because the TRUE DEFINITION of an athiest is a person who doesnt believe in god or any dieties through absolute proof, which at the current age, is impossible because there is no physical proof known to man showing the absence OR presence of a God.

Not quite. A gnostic atheist is someone who claims to know (as in, with no doubt) that no gods exist (little to no atheists do that and the few that do I would think don't really understand the terminology correctly). An agnostic atheist is someone who doesn't know whether a god exists or not, but doesn't believe in a god (vast majority of atheists - me). A gnostic theist is someone who claims to know a god exists, and believes in a god (Ray Comfort). An agnostic theist is someone who doesn't know whether a god exists, but still believes in a god ( You, perhaps).

remember_him wrote:

Christians are ok with this because we know that Faith is one of the requirement anyways... 'athiests' (( non-theist would be a more applicable term )) rely on their own logic and understanding to create their own faith as well, so really we're all just hoping that we're right lol

The faith that atheists have is the faith that all human beings of sound mind have - the 'faith' that reality is real, that the world around us is real, and not some matrix-style sham.
      [CENTER]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Ripplemagne wrote:

RBRNR, there's a difference between a pseudo-intellectual and an intellectual. The 16 year old Twilight enthusiasts who try their damndest not to laugh at jokes they deem "immature" (even though, lets be honest, who doesn't enjoy a good fart joke?) and corrects everyone's grammar are pseudo-intellectuals. Savvy?

"Psuedo" or not, they're annoying. I'm not a fan of those witty types who need to make everything difficult. I think it's a waste of time, when most of the crap they spend their lives learning is useless in daily life. And it's not just that fact, I don't care if they're "psuedo" or not, they're boring. Everything they talk about has to turn into a big friggin ordeal and I feel like jabbing my own ears in listening to them. I could be talking about Lincecum's pitching last night, and they'll turn it into a fucking trivia game.... that is, if they're even man enough to like sports. It's like DUDE, I don't CARE!! SHUT UP!!
      Bring it back DJ, bring it back DJ, bring it back bring it back bring it back DJ

The post was edited 2 times, last by RBRNR ().

This stuff didn't just happen, it took 200,000 years, and in that time we became less strong physically and more strong mentally. It's like if you have 50 'points' to distribute to strength and intelligence, at first it would be about 40/10, about halfway it would be 25/25 and now it would be about 10/40. It's a sliding scale, not a bar graph but, a line graph.

We did? Evidence?

Ritual Human Sacrifice

Rape in the Bible

Murder in the Bible

Slavery in the Bible

I don't know about you, but I have serious moral problems with all of those things.

It helps to put these things in full context. One should be skeptical against any source that markets themselves as something as fringe as "Evil Bible" and speaks in the vastly pervase manner in which these are written. Lets break it down.

Ritual Human Sacrifice

Abraham and Issac. (1, 2, 3)

Read the story of Cain and Abel in full detail to understand the relevance of sacrifice. More reading. (1, 2, 3

The rest of it is taken out of context, so I'm not even going to bother. The above links pretty much cripple all of their hyperbole, exegesis and blatant cherry picking.

Rape

Taking more shit out of context. Honestly, I've never seen someone this terrible at arguing biblical verses in my entire life. The majority of this is presuming that noting rape means that the Bible condones/approves of it and the others are just taken out of context. If you're interested in a specific verse from this article, let me know and I'll show you why the author is arguing nonsense, but I'm not going through this entire piece.

Murder

The Levitical laws are exclusive to Jews. They are not mandated across the populace and this is demonstrated by the fact that they didn't go to war with the Romans in the first century. Judaism is exclusive and you have a choice to be a part of it or not.

More reading.

This non-sequitur ilk should show you just how ridiculous this is:

Death to Followers of Other Religions
      Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

Slavery

(I actually wrote this part first, so if you're wondering why this is a little more detailed than the above ones, it's because I got exhausted reading this author's bias and terrible arguments and got lazy. Sorry, but that's too many subjects to tackle at once and I barely slept last night.)

First of all, what's wrong with slavery? No, seriously. The Bible outlines specific rules to treat your slaves well and such a lifestyle would be a vast improvement over peasant status. There's no commandments of slavery, but for the culture at the time, the Bible served the rights of slaves very well.

What we know about slavery is limited to the last hundred years and has been vastly perverted by our academic textbooks. Slavery, in of itself, isn't actually a bad thing, though no longer applicable to our society. Bad slave owners are the problem and the Bible is very clear about admonishing such people.

It talks about beating slaves and having sex with them, but notice how he cites no verses to affirm this claim? Moreover, he paints an ugly picture right off the bat by presuming that slavery = worse than livestock. Really? Really? Where is the evidence for this?

Going beyond that, actually take it all into full context. It's talking about Jews enslaving other Jews; both are aware of the customs. As such, a Jew knows ahead of time that by not leaving the master on the seventh year, they are getting their ear pierced. It completely dismisses the fact that it's the slave's choice if they want to leave or not. Honestly, who is going to stay somewhere where they are treated badly? If they decide to stay, obviously, they enjoy their master and their work.

Then it goes on to take a perfectly unsexual verse and twists it to mean something sexual? Where does it say that the slave girl has to have sex with the slave owner? Give me a break.

The whole article is based on misunderstandings, exegesis, taking things out of context and whatnot. Instead of trying to convince everyone how evil the Bible is, why doesn't he just post the verses and let people draw their own conclusions? Because it's ludicrous what he's trying to sell.

Why is faith good?

The proof is in the pudding on this one, I'm afraid.

Not quite. A gnostic atheist is someone who claims to know (as in, with no doubt) that no gods exist (little to no atheists do that and the few that do I would think don't really understand the terminology correctly). An agnostic atheist is someone who doesn't know whether a god exists or not, but doesn't believe in a god (vast majority of atheists - me). A gnostic theist is someone who claims to know a god exists, and believes in a god (Ray Comfort). An agnostic theist is someone who doesn't know whether a god exists, but still believes in a god ( You, perhaps).

An atheist is gnostic, by definition. One is either agnostic or an atheist. There is no in-between.

"Psuedo" or not, they're annoying. I'm not a fan of those witty types who need to make everything difficult. I think it's a waste of time, when most of the crap they spend their lives learning is useless in daily life. And it's not just that fact, I don't care if they're "psuedo" or not, they're boring. Everything they talk about has to turn into a big friggin ordeal and I feel like jabbing my own ears in listening to them. I could be talking about Lincecum's pitching last night, and they'll turn it into a fucking trivia game.... that is, if they're even man enough to like sports. It's like DUDE, I don't CARE!! SHUT UP!!

Sports = useful in daily life?

Sports = relates to being a man?

Huh?
      Sweet dreams.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ripplemagne ().

Ripplemagne wrote:

Sports = useful in daily life?

Sports = relates to being a man?

Huh?

This goes back to common sense bud. Sports was an example of a daily life conversation. I work construction. But in high school, I had to do some white collar work for a community service project. Office people are straight up boring. They're jokes are lame as hell, even the younger workers jokes are. They're tone of voice is a fake happy when they do joke and they're fake smiles make it so obvious, because they're obviously not that happy, they're stuck in a boring rat race. Only to come back tomorrow and do the same thing... and the next day.... and the next day. They probably see about 2 hours of sunlight all day. In the winter, they see 0. I talk to the construction guys and it's laid back, it's funny, it's real talk.

The post was edited 5 times, last by RBRNR ().

Ripplemagne wrote:

We did? Evidence?

Human evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ripplemagne wrote:

*atrocities*

I'm sorry you feel you have to justify the incredibly horrible things god supposedly does in the bible just so you're belief will be unhindered. In ANY context all of those things are morally repugnant under ANY circumstances. I don't need to make excuses for anything, and from that I'd guess that my moral fiber is stronger then yours. I'm sorry your religion has clouded and poisoned your mind to the point where these things can ever be ok.

Ripplemagne wrote:

As such, a Jew knows ahead of time that by not leaving the master on the seventh year, they are getting their ear pierced. It completely dismisses the fact that it's the slave's choice if they want to leave or not.

Except you missed the part where it says the the slave master keeps the slaves wife and any children they may have regardless of any time (the only condition being if they were married after or before he became a slave).

Ripplemagne wrote:

The proof is in the pudding on this one, I'm afraid.

Then I don't want any. Come back when the pudding is empirical/scientific.

Ripplemagne wrote:

An atheist is gnostic, by definition. One is either agnostic or an atheist. There is no in-between.

No. They're subsets. Atheism/theism describes claims of belief whereas agnosticism/gnosticism describes claims of knowledge. I'd go into this further but I've done it before and you've shown yourself to be too arrogant to even try to understand.
      [CENTER]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

can we cut out the insults?
      this is pretty harsh. Try to make arguments without so much hate, this is a difference between opinions, not a reason to insult people who are perfectly ordinary in all other contexts.

I'd go into this further but I've done it before and you've shown yourself to be too arrogant to even try to understand.

You are one miserable dude if you had all the time on your hands to type that essay of bullshit.

Honestly, I've never seen someone this terrible at arguing biblical verses in my entire life.

Odd...I equate logic with good reasoning skills...:rolleyes:

Because they are idiotic and feel that they have to prove what they believe no matter what.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

max123987 wrote:

Everywhere in the bible, from Genesis to Revelations from the first page to the last page, the only book in the bible that doesn't have a ton of contradictions in it is Proverbs.

Be more specific. Where exactly does it contradict itself? I want an exact spot, not the general bullshit.

The post was edited 4 times, last by RBRNR ().

ByTor you are seriously just getting confused now, what you are saying is making less and less sense as we go... Human sacrifice really? their are only TWO cases to my knowledge, you'll be pleased to hear that the first didnt actually occur (( Abraham )) because God obviously did NOT want him to, and the second was done by God's own son, willingly, to save us (( poor Jesus, after healing the blind, the lepers, and the crippled, after bringing Lazarus to life {{ that evil God character, bringing people back to life and showing people that he cares and what not, what was he thinking? }} he didnt even realize that God was a product of our imagination {{ btw our imagination is GREAT considering they found Noah's Ark in Turkey? Amazing how we can do these things with our make-up stories isn't it? dont believe it? check this out [[ I'm sure its not scientific enough for you, I dont actually expect you to believe it to be honest]] it wont let me post the link because I just joined this site, but go to google and type "Noahs ark found and you should find a load of proof }} )) , now my point on animal sacrifice... first off have you even read out of the bible? or do you only get your sources from things like 'EvilBible.com' ? if I got my stuff off some website called EvilAthiest.com would you think that I'd have a balanced perspective? I mean the website doesnt state the facts, it quotes the scripture in small parts and then the author gives a seriously sickening and twisted view that is COMPLETELY his own, and I quote ' God, we are told, likes the pleasing aroma of burning flesh.' biast much? He couldnt have made it sound any sicker... wait I take that back because whoever wrote that obviously has great skill in one-sided views. If you knew WHY God asked for animal scarifices, you might understand a little better. He does NOT like the 'sweet aroma of burning flesh', he asked them to do this only when they sinned, and the act of sacrificing an animal went roughly as follows, You put your hand on the animal's forehead, looked into its eyes, THEN killed it and kept your hand in place until the animal was dead. This is indeed QUITE sickening, and was meant to be so. God asked us to do this because we had defiled ourselves by sinning, this was meant to show you the product of sin, and if I had kill a cow and watch it die whenever I sinned, I probably wouldnt often lie or do something wrong... we arent meant to sin ByTor, it twists us mentally and spiritually, have you done something you knew was wrong even though it wasnt actually against the rules? or even if it was, you know that sick feeling that you know it was wrong? we call it our conscience, and its regulated by chemicals and fluids in our brain quite obviously, so why do you suppose we developed this? was it to help us survive? surely we'd be better off killing the guy who takes our food when hes starving and we have more than enough, why in the world would we develop something that inhibits our survival through guilt? please, explain that one Mr. Scientist =) and check this out! Science takes another defeat! turns out whales have all the real power =)! Sure Shamoo does some neat tricks, but hes got nothing on this wicked prehistoric whale! Archeologists found this huge sucker standing on its head, undecayed through what equals several hundred thousand years of sedimentation! The only way this is possible is if he had super mind powers! well theres also that other theory about that guy with all the animals, it would actually completely solve the puzzle in a SCIENTIFIC way, but we all know it cant be real because God isnt real =) and have you heard? turns out those twisted 'Christians' that made up all those Bible stories to control the masses, were actually geniuses! check this out, they said God told them it was healthier to circumsize a baby boy 8 (( and i repeat EIGHT )) days after birth... turns out modern day science agrees completely! it is indeed healthier, and the BEST time to do so is on the EIGHTH day after all!And check this dude, they were agriculturists too! turns out 'God' told them rotate the crops every six years, let the land rest on the seventh year so it will stay fertile, and they were right! modern science concludes this is indeed the BEST way to do it! we are quite clever arent we? you have to admit, our made-up stories sure do rock those scientists =) and lets keep going! a recent scientific experiment observed couples, and it turns out the people who pray for their spouses are more accepting of their flaws and peaceful... even if they WEREN'T CHRISTIANS!!!! we are soooo good dude, our lies are still ripping up science, even SIX THOUSAND YEARS after they started! amazing how their are still people saying there no/strong enough evidence proving the existance of a God, but i guess your right, its more LOGICAL that whales have super powers =) but please, hit me with some more scientific evidence, i love tearing it all apart, it fulfills my evil bible needs =) which leads me to another point, biblical values are sooo wrong right? well it turns out that with the decline of biblical values and influence in this nation, (( not your nation, your canadian )) are directly influencing the violence and vulgarity that makes us so sick and twisted, we live in the MOST sickening and VIOLENT age man has ever known, our children tell their parents to shut the hell up, and women and men have NEVER been so loose, homosexuality has never been so publicly accepted, and STD's kill millions. and guess what? this is also coincidentally the Era where religion is MOST criticized and ignored, embarrased, twisted and insulted, such as aqua's signature picture. No matter how you look at it, christianity once kept this world 'bound and chained' to the rules, but now? we can all live carefree, and die happily from school shootings, twisted diseases and sons who shoot their father, because they wanted to know what its like to see someone bleed to death (( yeah, that actually happened )) but as most athiests believe, Im sure you believe Religion is what tears this world apart huh?