Heaven

• I'm no pope, all I know about heaven is that if you do certain things in your life on earth it determines whether you spend eternity there or not. I don't want to go into that in any detail but I would love to discuss the idea of eternity.

Forget all the other stuff and imagine you are in heaven, life is perfect and you are with every good person that ever died. That sounds sweet but then I remembered eternity. After 10 years or so I'm you would still be pretty content living in heaven, after 100 years I think you would still be content but also becoming very used to this perfect lifestyle and starting to become bored of it. Then I think it would dawn on you that you are going to have to spend another 100 years in heaven, then another hundred, then another thousand then another ten thousand then another billion then another million googolplexes for the rest of fucking time. Maybe I missed a lesson of bible class but if you ask me that completely shaggs the idea that people go to heaven and spend eternity in bliss. Happiness is relative and nothing could keep you happy for eternity.

Another thing, in the scale of eternity the time the earth existed would not even be an atom on a blade of grass in a football pitch the size of the universe. Not long after you would be in heaven then world would be gone and all humans with it. What the fuck is supposed to happen then?
    • there i s only one way t o discuss thiis.if you discuss philosophisk then it will make no sense becuase eternity can not prove to exist. if you use religion then perhaps it can be discuss. i use in Johannes Uppenbarelse where he say the world will end and heaven will b e forever.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    • Only Catholics actually follow the Pope. All other (or most, at least) denominations are completely divorced from his word.

None of us really know what Heaven is like, so not much can really be commented on the subject. What we do know is that our sins are wiped away and we're perfected, so that could, in turn, relate to the subject of eternity.

Sorry, my friend. Unfortunately, the Bible doesn't specify much about Heaven, so it's hard to give you the heads up on it. One thing for certain is that it beats the Hell out of an eternity suffering.

If you're interested in general afterlife, you might want to read into Islam. Islam gives more information in regards to the afterlife than do the other Abrahamic Religions.
      Sweet dreams.
    • Ripplemagne wrote:

Only Catholics actually follow the Pope. All other (or most, at least) denominations are completely divorced from his word.

None of us really know what Heaven is like, so not much can really be commented on the subject. What we do know is that our sins are wiped away and we're perfected, so that could, in turn, relate to the subject of eternity.

Sorry, my friend. Unfortunately, the Bible doesn't specify much about Heaven, so it's hard to give you the heads up on it. One thing for certain is that it beats the Hell out of an eternity suffering.

If you're interested in general afterlife, you might want to read into Islam. Islam gives more information in regards to the afterlife than do the other Abrahamic Religions.

Surprising I actually do know the pope isn't the head of christianity.

You say we don't know much but I wasn't asking about that. I was working with what we do know, which is that it is happy and eternal, something I'm saying is impossible. You also say it beats the hell out of eternity suffering but I'm not sure it does. After about 12 thousand years I don't think your numbed brain would feel either suffering or happiness. You would just feel bored as fuck in both cases.
    • Fact of the matter is we know far less than is mysterious to us, so it's not quite possible to answer your question. You're applying finite means to an infinite object. To demonstrate what I mean, you're attempting to explain a tenth dimensional idea with three-dimensional logic.

However, Jesus who did know what it was like has this to say on the subject.
      Sweet dreams.
    • Techno Viking wrote:

I'm no pope, all I know about heaven is that if you do certain things in your life on earth it determines whether you spend eternity there or not. I don't want to go into that in any detail but I would love to discuss the idea of eternity.

Forget all the other stuff and imagine you are in heaven, life is perfect and you are with every good person that ever died.
      Just by looking at two things you said regarding heaven, consisting of, "
      if you do certain things in your life on earth it determines whether you spend eternity there," and "you are with every good person that ever died," I'm already led to believe that you're unaware of how one actually gets to heaven.

Techno Viking wrote:

That sounds sweet but then I remembered eternity. After 10 years or so I'm you would still be pretty content living in heaven, after 100 years I think you would still be content but also becoming very used to this perfect lifestyle and starting to become bored of it. Then I think it would dawn on you that you are going to have to spend another 100 years in heaven, then another hundred, then another thousand then another ten thousand then another billion then another million googolplexes for the rest of fucking time. Maybe I missed a lesson of bible class but if you ask me that completely shaggs the idea that people go to heaven and spend eternity in bliss. Happiness is relative and nothing could keep you happy for eternity.
      Boredom, happiness, etc. are human concepts and characteristics. At least according to the Bible, human characteristics are moot in heaven. As such, I doubt boredom would be much of an issue, as it's a feeling of the human mind.

When various verses say heaven is bliss and eternal happiness, it won't necessarily be the same type of happiness you feel as a human.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Techno Viking wrote:

Another thing, in the scale of eternity the time the earth existed would not even be an atom on a blade of grass in a football pitch the size of the universe. Not long after you would be in heaven then world would be gone and all humans with it. What the fuck is supposed to happen then?

The idea that we go to an extra-terrestrial heaven is pretty baseless if you go off Biblical doctrine. Rather, when you die, you're plainly and simply dead until the return of Jesus, when you're raised to life. God's Kingdom begins, in which all of those who fit the 'good' bill, so-to-speak, spend their eternity with him on Earth.

As for the idea that eternity will be bad for us in the long run, it makes no sense as we are meant to be made just like the angels, who seem to have a good time of it. Boredom will become an emotion of the past.
      That said, it does bring to mind a discussion I had with a friend of mine about the problem of an afterlife such as that offered in Christianity. For such a change to be made, you would have to be changed fundamentally to be able enjoy an eternity with God, not feeling the sinful feelings you had as a human, or caring about loved ones that aren't saved. We both agreed that this would essentially be a death of the human who had been seeking everlasting life, regardless of the physical immortality they then had.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]
    • Ripplemagne wrote:

Fact of the matter is we know far less than is mysterious to us, so it's not quite possible to answer your question. You're applying finite means to an infinite object. To demonstrate what I mean, you're attempting to explain a tenth dimensional idea with three-dimensional logic.

Exactly what I would say :)

Although I don't believe in the Christian idea of heaven and hell.
      You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.
    • The way I understand it, many (but definitely not all) Christian sects believe that the other-dimensional realm known as Heaven functions as a temporary holding place for believers who have already died, and upon Jesus' second coming, he will pwn Satan and his legions and then turn the newly-cleansed Earth into his new kingdom. This "heaven on Earth" is apparently where the eternity will be spent, and from dissecting the original Greek texts, scholars have shown that the term "Earth" in this part of the Bible refers to the same literal planet Earth we are standing on right now, as opposed to some other-dimensional dreamy world. According to Christians who believe this, "Earth 3.0"* will have essentially the same basic stuff we see now such as varying geographical features, weather, nations, cities, etc., albeit with teh sinz0rz removed, and God as the one-world government.

So yeah. A very interesting read, if nothing else.

*Following the pattern of the original flawless Eden Earth being v1.0, post-Deluge Earth (a.k.a the Earth as we know it today) being v2.0, and then the post-Apocalyptic Earth as v3.0. :cool:
    • The way I understand it, many (but definitely not all) Christian sects believe that the other-dimensional realm known as Heaven functions as a temporary holding place for believers who have already died, and upon Jesus' second coming, he will pwn Satan and his legions and then turn the newly-cleansed Earth into his new kingdom.

Close enough. Here's some more details:

Hades.

The words to analyze when looking at the afterlife are Hades, Sheol and Gehenna and there's a lot of theories revolving around it. Some people believe that Hell doesn't exist, while others think the aformentioned words refer to it. If it does, then Hades likely refers to the abode of the dead until judgment, where they will be sorted.

This isn't exactly my area of expertise because there's so many different theories and each are plausible, so I don't really know which one is the most accurate.
      Sweet dreams.
    • Ripplemagne wrote:

Close enough. Here's some more details:

Hades.

The words to analyze when looking at the afterlife are Hades, Sheol and Gehenna and there's a lot of theories revolving around it. Some people believe that Hell doesn't exist, while others think the aformentioned words refer to it. If it does, then Hades likely refers to the abode of the dead until judgment, where they will be sorted.

This isn't exactly my area of expertise because there's so many different theories and each are plausible, so I don't really know which one is the most accurate.

With the words like Hades it is hard to understand if there is any meaning in the New Testament. It is likely just used as the word for hell. Such as the word Lucifer is used both in the Aeneid and the New Testament and they have no relation what-so-ever.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by BadaBing ().

• With the words like Hades it is hard to understand if there is any meaning in the New Testament. It is likely just used as the word for hell. Such as the word Lucifer is used both in the Aeneid and the New Testament and they have no relation what-so-ever.

Very well could be, but there are a lot of elements to account for. When my body is not in dire agony, I'm going to try to dig deeper into the subject.
      Sweet dreams.