Homophobia.

• I'm Bisexual, however i feel more attracted to females than i do for men.

Today in one of my classes we were going over the myths of sexuality, particularly homosexuality and bisexuality and were voting over whether they were reality or just a myth. One question that came up was, That Homosexuality Is A Sin, and to be honest i really didn't think anyone from school believed it to be a sin, call it living in a bubble maybe but honestly thats what i thought.. i was really suprised to see so many people agree that it was a sin. Especially one girl whos smart and friendly to everyone. I felt kind of offended, like if these people really knew about how im attracted to my own gender id be treated differently and just like a whole other person. It really hurt. Many of them were acting homophobic and saying the meanest things...

Do other other people feel uncomfortable and slightly offended when situations like this occur?.,
      Do you feel uncomfortable around people who don't know about your attractions especially when they bring up "gay" topics?
      What do you do to deal with it? Its really upset me :(
    • Re: Homophobia.

In our school we aren't allowed to have class discussions like that. But generally, kids in todays American society are more accepting of the Mo's than older generations. Even though they think it's a sin, chances are, really don't care. So I wouldn't say they are homophobic, they are just following a long with the information religion has brainwashed them with.

In one of my classes, we are really close to one another and we talk about just about anything. Even with the teacher. We can even talk about sex lol. But anyway, once in awhile we get into the gay discussion. Now, my teacher is a huge Christian freak and thinks pretty much anything is a sin. If the bible is against it, he's not having it. So when the gay discussion comes up, you can imagine what comes out of his mouth. The majority of the class agrees that it's a sin but they aren't homophobic. They do call gay people fags... lol but they wouldn't disrespect a gay person to their face. One kid is an atheist and is the most accepting person I've ever met. He can actually grasp the fact the gay people don't choose to be gay. I have SO much respect for him. But, when those discussions come up, i keep my mouth shut because I'm not out to many people. And it only feels weird because I have people in that class who do know about me and I can imagine what they're thinking about how I'm feeling.

like above, Most of the time it's just the way they've been taught to think, they feel obliged to say stuff like that when really a lot of them don't feel that way at all and are very accepting. It's also a matter of peer preasure- I know throughout the entire time I was questioning my sexuality and coming to terms with it I would do the same thing, I'm not proud of it but it's what i did, i tried to be accepting but people would always be asking, "why would you say that? you're gay aren't you?" and I wasn't ready for that so i kinda reverted to being slightly homophobic (well faking it i should say)

On thing I know since coming out (partially at least) is that everyone who knows is very accepting of it, or atleast pretends to be and is in no way offensive on purpose. Even one of my close friends who is a super dooper conservative christian.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

Technically, homosexuality is a sin. You can't really deny it. However, whether or not it is actually morally wrong is up for debate.

It is difficult to deal with such prejuidice comments, but there is not much we can do about them. You just need to learn to rise above those who are hateful, or realize that they are far too ignorant for you to pay attention to.
      [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Seduce&Destroy[/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      You're sure you still wanna play this evil lil game?
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Luminous Flux wrote:

like above, Most of the time it's just the way they've been taught to think, they feel obliged to say stuff like that when really a lot of them don't feel that way at all and are very accepting. It's also a matter of peer preasure- I know throughout the entire time I was questioning my sexuality and coming to terms with it I would do the same thing, I'm not proud of it but it's what i did, i tried to be accepting but people would always be asking, "why would you say that? you're gay aren't you?" and I wasn't ready for that so i kinda reverted to being slightly homophobic (well faking it i should say)

i really agree with this.. it is a bad habit but i can identify with that as well. im slightly homophobic with my parents so they don't find out im bisexual.. i don't mean to be and i feel horrible for doing it but its just so much easier than telling them at the moment.
      I think there are a good few ppl who do this .. i have a few bi/gay friends who've done the same.

Saradactyl wrote:

Technically, homosexuality is a sin.

Not to me, sorry but i'm not religious- To me good and bad on this kind of front is decided by morality. So, say- Murder, that's considered to be a sin, and obviously i believe it's bad because it's morally wrong. Homosexuality on the other hand i do not see as morally wrong, and hence I do not see it as a bad thing.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

I don't get why you would think the girl is any less intelligent or friendly because she believes it's a sin.

Technically, homosexuality is a sin. You can't really deny it.

No, it's not. If you base your understanding of Judeo-Christianity on surface knowledge and English translations, then yeah... I guess. But if you actually study it, it's not.

Not to me, sorry but i'm not religious-

It's not a sin just because you're not Religious.

if homosexuality is a sin why all the clergymen in the churches are paedo ?

First of all, it's a generalization to say all. Second of all, clergymen sinning doesn't mean something is not a sin. And finally, Catholicism is no the only denomination of Christianity.
      Sweet dreams.

Ripplemagne wrote:

I don't get why you would think the girl is any less intelligent or friendly because she believes it's a sin.

I don't think of her as any less intelligent or friendly.. it just kinda shocked me because shes very open and accepting to a variety of things. The certainty she agreed it was a sin just shocked me because i didn't really realise that she could be that opinionated to something like this... As if it were a sin and there were no other schools of thought on the matter. Im not close with her, but we do share classes together.. so maybe i just don't know her enough lol but still i have nothing against her.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Ripplemagne wrote:

No, it's not. If you base your understanding of Judeo-Christianity on surface knowledge and English translations, then yeah... I guess. But if you actually study it, it's not.

Could you please explain what you mean again?

I don't think of her as any less intelligent or friendly.. it just kinda shocked me because shes very open and accepting to a variety of things. The certainty she agreed it was a sin just shocked me because i didn't really realise that she could be that opinionated to something like this... As if it were a sin and there were no other schools of thought on the matter. Im not close with her, but we do share classes together.. so maybe i just don't know her enough lol but still i have nothing against her.

The closest English translation of the Bible is the King James Version. In it, homosexuality is listed as a sin, so it's not surprising that she would think this way. Until a few months ago, I thought so too.

Could you please explain what you mean again?

Certainly. I wrote an entire article on the subject. I hope that helps you when facing this issue.
      Sweet dreams.

I'm kinda in the same situation.
      I go to a single gender school and there are constant debates about homosexuality (which I think is funny because half the girls are members of the rainbow party). It's more than a little difficult to stay clear of debates when you're a part of LGBT community and in the situation I'm in. And it's really frustrating when you're in the closet trying to explain or express your views.

But I've learned not to take generalizations personally. Out of the few people I've come out to irl, two were a little homophobic and mean towards members of the LGBT community before I told them about myself. They're fine now. Well, at least around me.
      If someone's cool with me now and not cool with me after I come out, that's not my problem, it's their loss.

Everyone's allowed to express their opinions, and if they believe homosexuality is a sin, that's fine, they have a right to believe it (even if their belief is based on generaliztions, ignorance, and/or closed-mindedness).
      That's why it's best not to take things like that personally. It's hard, I know. It took me a while not to. But you just can't let the opinions of a few stubborn people get to you.

I hope this has helped you and I wish you the best of luck. And please feel free to PM me if you need to talk, I can really relate to what you're going through.
      [CENTER]:freehugs:[/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by cleverscreennamegoeshere ().

Ripplemagne wrote:

-----

It's not a sin just because you're not Religious.

I don't think any less of her because of what she believes, haha, as a gay person if i did so i'd be insanely hipocritical. As far as I'm concerned anyone can believe whatever they want as long as they don't harm anyone.

And i believe if you look at my reply I said that it wasn't a sin to me. I mean sure if you look right down to the roots of the term i suppose your argument could be correct however; in real life the term sin generally refers to a violation of a moral code of conduct decreed by a divine entity. And as i do not believe in a divine entity the term sin has very little effect on me.

But as I said i do not consider anyone any less of a person because they do believe in a divinity or believe in sins.

Oops my bad- if we're not carefull this'll be moved to the debates board. :D
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

Luminous Flux wrote:

Not to me, sorry but i'm not religious- To me good and bad on this kind of front is decided by morality. So, say- Murder, that's considered to be a sin, and obviously i believe it's bad because it's morally wrong. Homosexuality on the other hand i do not see as morally wrong, and hence I do not see it as a bad thing.

Now, now. I am not saying it is wrong, in fact I am actually lesbian and not christian. But sin is correlated with religion, mostly Christian religions, but there are a few others besides Christianity. However, in all of the forms of religion that incorporate the word "sin" it is stated that homosexuality falls into that category. So technically, yes, it is a sin.. though I do not believe that everything that is a sin is morally wrong. I do not follow the Christian religion, therefore do not agree with its views on the matter.
      [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Seduce&Destroy[/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      You're sure you still wanna play this evil lil game?
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

But sin is correlated with religion, mostly Christian religions, but there are a few others besides Christianity.

What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Also: Judaism, Islam, Bahai Faith, Zoroastrianism, numerous Indian religions, most Chinese religions, as well as some Wiccans are all opposed to homosexuality. Hard to say few others are opposed to it.

Though, Jews don't expect non-Jews to follow their laws (except those that believe in the Noachide Laws.) Any Christian who tells you that homosexuality is a sin hasn't done their homework on the subject.
      Sweet dreams.