laptop for college

• Re: laptop for college

seth5 wrote:

Macs are pretty expensive for what you get, they are very nice but the hardware isn't up to par with what you could be getting for the money.

Really? I think they're totally[I] worth the money. The only problem is if you're into gaming, most games aren't compatible with Macs, so in that aspect they suck. But you get A TON of applications, with variety in all of them, you can even get Windows programs... and the best thing is you don't have to buy them. My brother has a DELL and to install the programs was a ridiculous amount of money, he could have just bought a Mac... Plus, although they aren't 100% immune to viruses and that sort of stuff...they're like 99.9% :D:D
      [CENTER][COLOR="Green"]I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other. [/COLOR]
      :jmp:[/CENTER]

Dr. Drew wrote:

I'm impatiently waiting for the MacBook Pro updates which are rumored to include the quad-core i7-820QM or 720QM + ATI Radeon 5xxx GPU, hopefully 1GB. The GPUs in the current line-up are whack old.

Lol I heard about this.... In my Cyber Sec class I think the proffesor said that you can only have 2 thingie majigies in a core, not for, because that would make 8 thingies and you'd have...a God like computer :lol:

^ (note the highly educated Computer Geek jargon :p)
      [CENTER][COLOR="Green"]I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other. [/COLOR]

Dr. Drew wrote:

Sorry, I'm lost. :confused: :p

Okay, there are 2 little..components (I don't know what they are or what they're called but they're there and I think they're for..speed?) in each core, and there are 2 cores, but if I recall correctly my Cyber Security teacher said it was a only a rumor since a QUAD core would mean each core would have 4 little components in them... that would make 8...which is like, impossible and would make your computer pretty much God or something like that...

Dangerous Razor Play wrote:

Okay, there are 2 little..components (I don't know what they are or what they're called but they're there and I think they're for..speed?) in each core, and there are 2 cores, but if I recall correctly my Cyber Security teacher said it was a only a rumor since a QUAD core would mean each core would have 4 little components in them... that would make 8...which is like, impossible and would make your computer pretty much God or something like that...

Quad core CPUs have been around for awhile...there are six-core AMD processors with an Intel version on the way...the Playstation 3's processor is 8-core... :o

He probably has no idea what he's talking about, and/or is teaching out of a very old manual. That's the way my tech school was...according to my web design teacher, Flash is the be-all and end-all of webpage development, and Internet Explorer is the only browser people use. :o :lol:

1- I'm pretty sure all new Mac's come with Windows office applications (like word, powerpoint,etc.) already installed.

2- See above, if you have an older version you'd need to buy it and install it, that's true.

3- True and true :p

4- That's also true (:lol:) but I mean...I rather not waste my time finding the software I want or need, I rather have them ready when I need them, and if there's absolutely something I want that's not on, I'll go out and get it.

DELL PCs are flexible I'll give you that, I just think it's a lot of unnecessary maintenance. I've used both systems, and I like them both, but I like Macs just a little bit more.;)

moot wrote:

Quad core CPUs have been around for awhile...there are six-core AMD processors with an Intel version on the way...the Playstation 3's processor is 8-core... :o

He probably has no idea what he's talking about, and/or is teaching out of a very old manual. That's the way my tech school was...according to my web design teacher, Flash is the be-all and end-all of webpage development, and Internet Explorer is the only browser people use. :o :lol:

Well in 2010 AMD is finally going to make 6-core processors that can be used on actual desktop computers without being extremely expensive. Oh and then they have the 12-core Opteron processor that's out now, there's even a contest to win 4 of them for a total of physical 48 cores, not counting threads on a single motherboard.

What Would You Do With 48 Cores? | AMD at Work
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!