help with my mom

• help with my mom

so i realize that most everyone has problems with their parents....
      but i think i just need to know if my mom's behavior is normal at all.
      okay.. so when i was a kid my mom used to hit me and my brother (like if we did bad stuff). sometimes she'd use her fists and stuff. other times she uses like sticks of wood or sturdy branches. i think the worst time was when i started horseback riding and she would use the whip. one time, she hit my brother so badly that he had these gashes across his back.
      more recently (and i thought this was really bad) but she was all superstitious and my brother said something really stupid. so she told him to knock on wood three times. except my brother is a lot like me and not superstitious at all. so she punches him really hard in the head, and was like knock on wood two more times, or i'll knock on your head two more times. but like, my brother didn't do it fast enough (obviously because he was crying) and so she punched him really hard in the head two more times.
      but i think my biggest thing is the things she says.
      like, this one time, i had this break down and told her that i was really miserable and stuff. and her response was that (and i don't tell people this a lot, but i'm desperate for information, and i don't really FEEL like typing is telling anyone but) i should go run away and just kill myself. i actually tried confronting her (and i confronted her in front of my dad a third time) and she completely denied it and made me look like the awful one.
      anyhow, throughout my life, there's always been stuff like this going on, like she tells me that i'm worthless and good for nothing and that i'll never accomplish anything at life, and that everything bad that happens in the family is always my fault.

so.. yeah. i don't want it to seem like i'm complaining or anything, but i just need to know if any of this stuff is normal for a parent. like, i started rethinking about all this stuff a while ago, and i've been thinking about how i don't trust anyone (especially adults) and how i can't ever even open my mouth in class and stuff. i overthink everything, and i went through a lot of bad stuff (mentally) especially in the last couple of years. i thought there might be connections so i guess i'm asking for opinions.
      i've been thinking about suing my mom for emotional distress and abuse, but i don't know if i have grounds to do it. if what she's doing isn't normal, i think she needs to learn that it isn't (she'll never listen to anyone. she's really self-consumed. if it's not her way, it's no way). i'm almost out of the house, but my brother isn't. if it's not normal, i don't want him to go through it anymore.

what do you guys think?

(thanks for putting up with that long-ass post, btw)
    • Re: help with my mom

That is not normal. And your concerns are more than legitimate. Talk to your school counselor about getting help for yourself, your brother and maybe even your mom. If she's that abusive, there's something wrong with her.
      And it's important that you know you are not worthless, other people's issues are not always your fault, and you can accomplish anything you want.

I really do hope all goes well for everyone in this situation. If you could and feel comfortable doing so, keep me updated.
      [CENTER]:freehugs:[/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]

While behavior like this occurs on occasion, it isn't healthy and is absolutely unacceptable on the mother's part. If worst comes to worst, you may need to contact the police or stay at another relative's house. If things aren't that bad yet, you may want to talk to your school counselors and see if they can do something about the situation. Please try and talk to the school counselors as soon as you can, these situations can end poorly if nothing is done.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

How old are you and your brother?
      What your mother is doing to you guys is not normal. That would be classified as both emotional and physical abuse. Does anyone else in your family know about how your mother treats you guys?
      I suggest you try telling someone you trust: a school counselor, or a close family member.
      They can get you guys removed from the house, and the help that you need in order to be able to trust adults, and not be worried to talk.

You should never blame yourself for how your mother treats you guys. I know what you're going through must be hard, but killing yourself is never an option. You need to get in contact with someone you can trust as soon as possible.

If you're 18, or you're going to be 18 soon, you can file for custody of your younger brother so he doesn't have to deal with living in his house anymore.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling