Black Metal

• Re: Black Metal

Gorgoth
      Mayhem
      Burzum
      Bal-Sagoth (try anything from A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria album, only one I really enjoy.. their earlier albums were the only ones that really contained the black metal themes, in the newer albums it became more symphonic/epic metal).
      King Diamond (older heavy/black metal)
      Goatwhore
      Sigh (quite interesting, much better than expected from a japanese black metal band)
      Celtic Frost

I gotta head to class, but I will be sure to post more for you later.
      [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]Seduce&Destroy[/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      You're sure you still wanna play this evil lil game?
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Saradactyl wrote:

Gorgoth
      Mayhem
      Burzum
      Bal-Sagoth (try anything from A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria album, only one I really enjoy.. their earlier albums were the only ones that really contained the black metal themes, in the newer albums it became more symphonic/epic metal).
      King Diamond (older heavy/black metal)
      Goatwhore
      Sigh (quite interesting, much better than expected from a japanese black metal band)
      Celtic Frost

I gotta head to class, but I will be sure to post more for you later.

feel free to correct me, but i always saw Goatwhore as more of a thrashy death metal band, not so much black metal. unless im getting my bands mixed up

Anyway, you could try some newer metal. I noticed most of the posts were of bands that dont even write music anymore. some notable bands to check out here (trying to mention bands no one has really said)

Abigail Williams (their newest album only)
      OLD Behemoth
      Cradle of Filth
      Dark Funeral
      Dawnbringer (hard to find)
      Dimmu Borgir
      Emperor (they kind of jump around genres in their later years)
      Ihsahn (singer for Emperor's solo project)
      Katatonia (their first 2-3 CDs)
      Lux Occulta
      Old Man's Child
      Opeth (not black, but very reminiscent of black)
      Ulver (only their first 3, then they become a different band altogether)
      V:28
      Winterfylleth
      Wolves in the Throne Room (very ambient black metal)
      [CENTER][SIZE="2"]"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." - Dr. Seuss[/SIZE][/CENTER]

DamnImGood wrote:

Maybe you're confusing them with another band, but they definitely have black metal in their sound.

Every single band listed aside from Bathory and Celtic Frost are active. Most have released albums in 2009 or a couple years earlier. Also, the OP asked for some gateway albums/bands. I think the classics is a good choice for that.

Sorry, but Cradle of Filth were never black metal. Also, some of the bands you listed aren't black metal, not including some of the designations you made.

probably am confusing them...whatever

well im not entirely sure, i was just under the impression that they havent because i havent heard anything about new music by those bands. im not huge in black metal so i dont know

cradle of filth is black metal-ish. they have a really dark sound, if nothing else
      [CENTER][SIZE="2"]"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." - Dr. Seuss[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Æxitosus wrote:

feel free to correct me, but i always saw Goatwhore as more of a thrashy death metal band, not so much black metal. unless im getting my bands mixed up

Anyway, you could try some newer metal. I noticed most of the posts were of bands that dont even write music anymore. some notable bands to check out here (trying to mention bands no one has really said)

Abigail Williams (their newest album only)
      OLD Behemoth
      Cradle of Filth
      Dark Funeral
      Dawnbringer (hard to find)
      Dimmu Borgir
      Emperor (they kind of jump around genres in their later years)
      Ihsahn (singer for Emperor's solo project)
      Katatonia (their first 2-3 CDs)
      Lux Occulta
      Old Man's Child
      Opeth (not black, but very reminiscent of black)
      Ulver (only their first 3, then they become a different band altogether)
      V:28
      Winterfylleth
      Wolves in the Throne Room (very ambient black metal)

Goatwhore does sound pretty thrashy, but it is black metal.

And I am really on the border line with whether or not even Cradle of Filth's older shit was black metal. I also don't see the black metal elements in Opeth.. and I can't say I am a fan of Dimmu Borgir.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

DamnImGood wrote:

Saradactyl, have you ever listened to Gallhammer? They're an all-female black/doom metal band from Japan. Pretty good, too.

Oo. Can't say I have, sounds like something I would enjoy. I will look into them in a couple minutes. To be honest, as far as Japanese metal goes.. I really don't know much about it. I got a terrible first impression of it and haven't really looked into it since.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Well, my first experience regarding the Japanese and metal was some little emo/hardcore kid being like "OMFG YOU LIKE METAL!!! LISTEN TO DIR EN GREY"... and so I looked them up, it reminded me of a Japanese Slipknot and I immediately shut out Japanese metal all together.. heh..
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

The post was edited 2 times, last by Saradactyl ().

DamnImGood wrote:

Heh on an old forum I was on there were a couple of people obsessed with that band.

Ew, they are really not all they are hyped up to be. It reminds me of Slipknot.. or some of the hardcore/screamo American bands.

I liked Gallhammer, and honestly the name Abigail sounds WAY familiar to me.. I think I heard them and liked them, but I am gonna look them up in a few just to make sure.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

DamnImGood wrote:

All of them, to be honest. My favourites though are thrash and black. I like death in moderate doses. Brutal death metal is okay, but in very short doses. Power metal is just fun to listen to. Doom metal has its moments, but I tend to listen to it when I'm trying to relax, if anything. Gothic metal is kind of everything. Progressive metal is the same as doom for me. NWOBHM and heavy metal (don't really like that subgenre name) are also fun to listen to.

My metal collection is extensive; I have over 1,100 bands from 51 different countries.

Hmmm.. you may have more than me. :O

Do you listen to any sludge metal?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]