Sexting and Teens

• Sexting and Teens

So I have a 14 yr old who has a cellphone and is on my wireless plan. I went through her phone over the weekend and besides seeing 1007 text messages in a 7 day period, I found boys, supposedly friends of her sexting with her. As a condition of her continuing her text messaging feature, I will check her text message in/outbox daily at a moments notice, which I should have been doing from Day 1. Secondly she has to do a minimum of 2 UStream shows with me, the 1st being on the subject of sexting. We will have a open and candid discussion on the subject. She is to promote the show to all her MySpace and Twitter friends as well as classmates. I promised her I will not get angry at anything she reveals to me during the show just as she is being honest and upfront. So on March 19,2010; 7p.m. eastern standard time, we will have our first live show on the subject. If any of you have teens that have participated in this, I would love for you to chime in and contribute in on this. Will also talk about the statistics as well as the harm this activity can cause. Thank you for your time
      Users must have at least 50 posts in order to place advertisements in their signatures.
    • Re: Sexting and Teens

isitso wrote:

OH LAWDY.

Can someone translate this from insanity to English please? Organize your points next time dear.

How is what I wrote Insanity and not english? For 1, english is the only language I speak and write in. I stated my situation at home with my daughter as a preface to why I decided on doing a show on the subject of Sexting. She will participate in the show and we will have an open discussion on it. If I were to discuss point here, why would I need the show? The show is a means of informing others who might not be up on what teens are doing especially with the accessibility of today's technology. Some parents are clueless and think their child would not do such a thing. I was one of them. I am aware of the situation and want to make others aware too. Now if YOU didn't understand, just say that. Don't try to belittle my thread by saying it's insanity.
      Users must have at least 50 posts in order to place advertisements in their signatures.

Interesting way to discuss matters with your daughter I must say. But also, you seem to be addressing this to the parents of teens. Most of us here are teens.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]

finally a chance to speak to a parent. i see a lot of posts from kids complaing about parents like you, but ive never spoken to a parent.
      she is 14.i know that a lot of my friends were sexually active by 14.she should be able to do what she wants. and if you stop her sexting, what will stop her going on MSN or other im?and then she might send pictures too, much worse than words.
      so you stop her internet access. thats when it could get very bad. how do you know she wont start with real people?and than it might go further.sorry, but this could end up accelerating how soon she becomes sexually active.
      simple soloution, give her a pay as you go, and limit her credit. dont chack, and tell her she can do whatever with the phone. let her, but limit it. this will cut it back, and if it isnt forbidden it is much less appealing.and accept that she is growing up. you cant stop it so dont try
      how can you promise you wont get mad when you are blind. you can say you wont get mad if she lost her virginity? how about to a stranger? or she has had sex with 2 or 3 people? or 7 or 8? or more? you dont know, so you cant promise that
      and dont do this online thing. it will either make her school life hell, or make her seem like a slut. either one is bad. then that the above chain reaction might happen to more people. add on fals accusations and you start more teen pregancies and family fights
      if you decide to, how can we "chime in"? do you have a link for those of us who are interested. and will we be able to share our opinions and views on this? it might help you or your daughter see the other side of the argument. and btw, she wont listen to statistics and dangers, and i wish to know what these "dangers" are, please.
      and finally, this is a TEEN forum. most of us are the sexters not the parents of sexters

The post was edited 3 times, last by eyeofthegorgon ().

EverythingYGND wrote:

How is what I wrote Insanity and not english? For 1, english is the only language I speak and write in. I stated my situation at home with my daughter as a preface to why I decided on doing a show on the subject of Sexting. She will participate in the show and we will have an open discussion on it. If I were to discuss point here, why would I need the show? The show is a means of informing others who might not be up on what teens are doing especially with the accessibility of today's technology. Some parents are clueless and think their child would not do such a thing. I was one of them. I am aware of the situation and want to make others aware too. Now if YOU didn't understand, just say that. Don't try to belittle my thread by saying it's insanity.

:rolleyes: I said insanity because of the bizarre paragraph structure you had. Your points jumped to hell and back with no transition. Have fun with whatever the hell it is that you are doing with shows and sexting.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

eyeofthegorgon wrote:

how can you promise you wont get mad when you are blind. you can say you wont get mad if she lost her virginity? how about to a stranger? or she has had sex with 2 or 3 people? or 7 or 8? or more? you dont know, so you cant promise that
      and dont do this online thing. it will either make her school life hell, or make her seem like a slut. either one is bad.

This. What's your purpose, to 'help' your daughter or her peers? Or just embarrass her straight? Work things out with her before you embark on an anti-sext campaign with her, and then only if she's so inclined.

Unfortunately I disagree with this idea that parents can go through their teenager's phone without permission.

You bought the phone as a gift to your child. That makes it theirs. If you take it away from them and look through their stuff, that makes your child think that it is okay for them to snoop around on people, steal their stuff, and look for things. At your teenager's age she is looking up to people more often. Role models play a big role in her life. I believe you should not go through her phone because it is hers. Just because you are paying for it doesn't actually give you the moral right to. Like I said before, it will teach your teenager the immature things in life.

Sure, you may say that Sexting is immature, however, would you have her having sex in physically? Sexting, definitely in today's society, is normal to teenagers and young adults. The act of sex is rather at a high percentage at the ages of 16-21. Parents won't really be able to stop that.

I believe that parents should understand that it is completely normal for teenagers to do this type of thing. Back when you were probably a teenager, Sexting didn't exist. People probably just had sex right?

Also, you should never let your child help you promote your show with Sexting for punishment. How embarrassing is that? Exploiting your child into that and promoting your show to her friends on Myspace? That is not good parenting at all.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Riotblade ().

This is an outrageous thing to do to your daughter.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ran away from home and never spoke to you again, you deserve it.

It's cruel enough you spy on her PRIVATE texts instead of letting her live her own life, it's even worse you want to publicise and embarrass her on the internet.

Ahaha, you are the most cruel and awful parent I have ever heard of. Shame on you!!
      I hope she never forgives you.