The Crucible.

• Re: The Crucible.

One issue that sticks out to me when you have to compare them is the sexism. Back then women were viewed as a lower 'ranking' then the men, and thats still a struggle now a days for women.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling

I remember studying that once too!
      How about comparing the witch hunt to the war on terrorism. There was nothing like what we would consider a normal burden of proof during the witch hunts, and governments worldwide have cut swathes through the legal rights of people arrested as suspected terrorists.
      You could also highlight the role of fear in the crucible and compare it to the justifications for terrorism-preventative legislations, and for the military incursions into Iraq for instance.

Those are fairly obvious examples, so they may have been raised in your class already. I'll mull over it and see if anything more out of the ordinary occurs to me (don't count on it though!)

Enjoy your study, I looked at the crucible as part of year 11 Literature, and remember it as being an excellent novel to analyse :)
      [CENTER][COLOR="Green"]If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
      [/COLOR][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jarndyce ().

It obviously is a blatant reference to the Cold War hype because of the time when it was written, that's what I would reference as a direct parallel.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell