More internet censorship woes for Australia

• More internet censorship woes for Australia

This guy is so arrogant, I wish he would just shut up and go away. People don't want censored internet- THIS ISN'T CHINA!!!!!

Get your mittens off our already slow internet :mad:

Web experts recoiled today at communications minister Stephen Conroy's assertion that the internet is not "special" and should be censored like books, films and newspapers.

In an on-camera interview with Fairfax Media's national Canberra bureau chief, Tim Lester, Senator Conroy dismissed the torrent of criticism directed at his policy as "misleading information" spread by "an organised group in the online world".

Asked what percentage of all of the nasty material on the internet his filters would block, Senator Conroy dodged the question, responding that his filters were "100 per cent accurate - no overblocking, no underblocking and no impact on speeds".

"Why is the internet special?" ... Communications Minister Stephen Conroy. Photo: Penny Bradfield
      But Mark Newton, an engineer with ISP internode, said: "Censorship will not catch a single pedophile, will not cause a single image to disappear from the internet, will not protect a single child."

Senator Conroy also brushed aside concerns from leading academics and technology companies that the plan to block a blacklist of "refused classification" (RC) websites for all Australians was an attempt to shoe-horn an offline classification model into a vastly different online world.

"Why is the internet special?," he asked, saying the net was "just a communication and distribution platform".

"This argument that the internet is some mystical creation that no laws should apply to, that is a recipe for anarchy and the wild west. I believe in a civil society and in a civil society people behave the same way in the physical world as they behave in the virtual world."

Newton said this was a "gross oversimplification", pointing out that Australia Post and Telstra's telephone network were also distribution platforms but were not censored... [CLICK LINK BELOW FOR THE REST].

Internet's not special, says communications minister
    • Re: More internet censorship woes for Australia

More like Communist Minister. :(
      Thank god I'm leaving soon... I can still have my pr0nz.
      [CENTER]R.I.P Captain Jack Sparrow, 13/3/09[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]You did it, beautiful.<3[/CENTER]
      formspring.me/Asperitas <- Don't be a fgt. It makes you look bad.
      [RIGHT]omygaga.tumblr.com/ <-Blog of godlike proportions.
      [/RIGHT]

Seriously, what is the point in spending $42bn making a fibre optic internet network which is probably going to be built when hell freezes over, but OK fast internet = good. But why then make it SLOWER, back to the current levels, if not worse, by putting a blanket censor at ISP level on all internet traffic? It's like building an expressway but shoving in speeding humps!

How old are the people who want to censor the internet? Oh and you guys are lucky because around here, I pay 120$ a month for 1MB speed internet, and there is only comcast because of local monopoly.
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

Aannddyy wrote:

Stephen Conroy is a cunt.

+1

Ages ago on youtube I found a vid of a debate between the Liberal Communications Minister (can't remember her name) and Mr Conroy, before they won the election.

She said the Liberals had their own model, a voluntary filter available for parents (can't remember if it would be for free or not) and was more aimed at protecting kids. She shat all over any argument Mr Conroy could come up with, it was hilarious.

Did you see him on Questions & Answers? Here are the videos on Youtube:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhTnj14LTvI&feature=related]YouTube - 1 Internet Censorship, The avalanche Stephen Conroy has generated Q&A show au.pt1of6.[/ame]
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MXW5AZBcLc&feature=related]YouTube - 2 Internet Censorship, The avalanche Stephen Conroy has generated Q&A show au.pt2of6.[/ame]
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wji9DJ77wmk&feature=related]YouTube - 3 Internet Censorship, The avalanche Stephen Conroy has generated Q&A show au.pt3of6.[/ame]
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7OPcWAXlm0&feature=related]YouTube - 4 Internet Censorship, The avalanche Stephen Conroy has generated Q&A show au.pt4of6.[/ame]

There's no dodging it, Mr. Conroy, your proposed mandatory Internet filter is mindless fascism.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What I want to know is how he is even getting it through! I thought the MPs in the Senate were all dead against it?

The people of Victoria have a duty to the nation to make sure this dickhead loses his place in the Senate the next time he is up for reelection :p

Stephen Conroy wrote:

“Why is the internet special?,” he asked, saying the net was “just a communication and distribution platform”.

“This argument that the internet is some mystical creation that no laws should apply to, that is a recipe for anarchy and the wild west. I believe in a civil society and in a civil society people behave the same way in the physical world as they behave in the virtual world.”

theage.com.au/technology/techn…nister-20100401-rg7h.html

Shut the fuck up, just because it's open to use and we can access it doesn't mean you should shove your big fat head in there and censor it. Governments here have censored enough stuff as it is, without bringing the internet into this. His argument is totally flawed.

Now go back to what you're meant to be doing and give us good, fast internet.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Member20832 ().