What's the big deal about cutting?

• Re: What's the big deal about cutting?

You can sever nerves, veins, get scars, get infections, serious psychological issues etc. Honestly, does slicing your flesh open sound like good, harmless fun?
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

The biggest problem is that it can become addictive. And when you have an addiction to cutting, then slight cuts just don't have the same effect they used to. So your cuts will get deeper, and you may sever important veins or arteries (depending on where you cut). It's a cycle that will just send you spiraling downwards - just like all addictions.
      [COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]To make my dreams come true. To protect the ones I love. And to keep fighting.
      The star inside my heart... please keep on shining strong and bring me power![/FONT][/COLOR]

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

The only thing worse than a smart-ass is a dumb smart-ass.

Cutting is a way of numbing your emotional pain by substituting it with physical pain. Like someone has said earlier it can become addicting and you try to get that same effect (high) you got when you first tried it. I suggest alternative ways of coping with what ever issues you might be having. Do research on it, go out, share with friends, counselor, etc.

You will leave permanent marks on yourself for something that is not permanent.

I do cut and I don't do it in moderation...I'm addicted to it. When I told my best friend she flipped and thought that there was no way I was actually addicted to it but it's tru. I think abt it non stop I cut when I wake up.I can't sleep without cutting like I HAVE to do it. I also have recently started not eating and when I do eat I throw it back up. I'm spiraling downward but believe me if someone trusts you enough to share with you they cutt then do them a favor .. Don't flip it's hard enough to accept the fact that you are and tell someone.

<3jessstar wrote:

I do cut and I don't do it in moderation...I'm addicted to it. When I told my best friend she flipped and thought that there was no way I was actually addicted to it but it's tru. I think abt it non stop I cut when I wake up.I can't sleep without cutting like I HAVE to do it. I also have recently started not eating and when I do eat I throw it back up. I'm spiraling downward but believe me if someone trusts you enough to share with you they cutt then do them a favor .. Don't flip it's hard enough to accept the fact that you are and tell someone.

Well it's actually not about someone else. It's about myself. I've tried cutting a couple times but it never actualy happened. Which I guess is good.
      [CENTER]Because you believed in me, I believed in myself and because I believed in myself I did what I thought was impossible.
      [/CENTER]

Cutting is bad for you. Every normal person in the world tries to avoid being cut, cutting yourself is not something you should be doing. If you slip a little bit you might cut an important vein and that's it... Also, I imagine it must be hard to hide the scars from everybody o.0

<3jessstar wrote:

the exact same thing is happenin to me&my best friend it is addictive!! &so is throwin up... try to stop that it really sucks(just a warnin) but when some flips shit on you for somethin like that it just makes you trust them less&makes u want to cut more

last night i got so pissed off bout all those people asking if they can write "love" on my arms& they have no clue what i do...that i "wrote" "love" on my stomach........with scissors

Some people, like me, know how to avoid cutting the veins/nerves or getting infections, and also how and when to stop. Some other people cut blindly, looking only for the pain, and ended up seriously injuring themselves. And yes, inflicting self-harm is generally seen as a sign of psychological disturbances. I personally think it depends on the person though.

Cutting is actually like alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs - it's an activity that's intended to distract you from your problems or mental pain, but you end up getting addicted to. Or at least that's the way I see it.
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]~-~-~Ashley M. Carnadie~-~-~
      My Tumblr
      My Nature Photo Blog[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

lostpariah wrote:

I dont know about the whole cutting is addicting thing: I never did it so can't weigh in on it.

However, if you think about it, cutting is just gonna make stuff worse. You might as well just write "im depressed" on your forehead. And if you do that, nothing will ever get better.

The only two differences between writing "i'm depressed" on your forehead and cutting is 1) writing it doesn't cause pain and 2) people might actually notice and help if you write it >.>
      [COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]To make my dreams come true. To protect the ones I love. And to keep fighting.
      The star inside my heart... please keep on shining strong and bring me power![/FONT][/COLOR]

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

The only thing worse than a smart-ass is a dumb smart-ass.

xo200mox wrote:

i think most (not all) of the people that cut themselves do it for attention, like i don't understand how hurting yourself could make you feel better? i don't know, i have had friends that have done it and got addicted.

that's what i used to think until this one time i was so upset i just did it& it did help& i still dont really get how but it just does