Religion in schools? Yes or No? (Please read before you post)

• Re: Religion in schools? Yes or No? (Please read before you post)

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Yes, religion should be in schools. However, it needs to be kept out of the science classroom.

The only acceptable classes that should include religious studies are one's such as world studies, or a class dedicated solely to religion. Additionally, if the teacher is of a certain religion, they need to keep their personal views out of it; all religions also need to be covered equally, with no emphasis on one religion over another.

This.

Also,Religion should be taught as opinions and ideas, not as facts.

P.S.
      OP, can you change your font? Is waaaay to hard to read.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Murder 101 ().

I believe that people should be entitled to their own opinions. If they want to teach a religion in a certain class, such as world studies, then by all means do it for educational purposes and not put your personal beliefs out there to try and force people to change who they are. I'm a firm and true-believing christian, but I don't like to shove my beliefs down other people's throats simply because I believe that it's the better one. Whatever people decide is their business, and that's how it should be.
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]I write because no one listens to me

Nothing keeps me from being set free
      [/SIZE]

[/CENTER]

lashescyan_meL*dy07 wrote:

i think its okay for religions to be in schools.
      but if like u had christian school or Islam school
      and ur teacher really is a devotee..
      she should respect other religions as well.
      not put her own opinion about how bad others
      is and how good her own is..

+++++++++++++

I think it's acceptable for a teacher in a religious school to talk about how good her own religion is (assuming it is the same as the school's), don't you?
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

Trigger93 wrote:

Man what do you mean by religion ruin's peoples lives? If anything, religion helps save more lives than what it helps destroy.

It ruins them from the inside out. Religion has never helped in any way. If you think it does, then prove it to me.
      Raptor Jesus on the cross would be so much cooler...

isitso wrote:

I think it's acceptable for a teacher in a religious school to talk about how good her own religion is (assuming it is the same as the school's), don't you?

but they should be careful enough to
      consider other religions beliefs and the
      believers of that religion..
      she should not brag of her own if she/he intends
      to underestimate others.
      he/she should do it to gain respect also.
      "dont do unto others what you would not want others to
      do unto you "..if she had a student there in the religion she
      had stepped into very badly..and lets put our position in him/her.
      what would she feel ? and you just cant argue because your just
      his/her student ?
      we had rights..but we had limitations.
      :D

Tombgeek and I are both atheists (?), and we go to a school where no religion is taught. In assemblies, because most of the school is Christian, we sing the Lords' Prayer, but people who aren't Christian don't have to. I agree that in classes like history and life orientation, it is healthy to have good discussions/debates as long as it doesn't become too heated. A teacher should also be unbiased.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=4]"http://www.teenhutmagazine.com/"[/SIZE]

I don't quite get why you asked me to read your opening post then went and typed it up in impact which is impossible to read.

It should be illegal to teach religious ideas as fact in schools. Teaching of religions is just part of overall learning of the world but I don't think there is any need for it to be taught to the extent of more practical subjects like maths and english. I went to a religious school and by jove they were wankers.

VenomX wrote:

It ruins them from the inside out. Religion has never helped in any way. If you think it does, then prove it to me.

Even though I think religion is bullshit, you simply can't argue that religion has not influenced a huge number of people. I commend religious people for having faith in something and letting it guide them for the good of their people/etc.

Also, to whoever gave me negative reputation: fuck off, this is the D&D section. Counter my argument or suck a dick.

I think that for public schools, religion can be taught, but carefully. My school has a "world religions" class and I know several people who take it, and they read the bible as well as a variety of other religious texts. I'm even fine with discussions over different religions that aren't necessarily totally PC, but when the teacher starts promoting or putting down a specific religion during class, it's gone too far. Just MO.

Religion is part of history, so in history class of course it should be taught. If religion is taught in schools in it should be elective and not forced. If forced it would be a violation of constitutional rights (first amendment).

And just to inform you all I am Atheist, but I am open minded.
      Check out my Album.
      :)Max:)

gardenhead wrote:

They could, but the concepts that both religion and science put forth are too conflicting and contradictory.

Surely you cant be suggesting that we "could" teach religion as fact. I don't think that was the issue the OP meant to raise but there is surely no argument for teaching that in school. Anything you get taught should be based on facts and evidence. You can't argue with that principle, even in my religious school they didn't really do that.