Religion in schools? Yes or No? (Please read before you post)

• Re: Religion in schools? Yes or No? (Please read before you post)

Techno Viking wrote:

Surely you cant be suggesting that we "could" teach religion as fact. I don't think that was the issue the OP meant to raise but there is surely no argument for teaching that in school. Anything you get taught should be based on facts and evidence. You can't argue with that principle, even in my religious school they didn't really do that.

So we can get rid of a lot of Science as a lot of it is theory based and English lessons.

I don't mind getting taught RE lessons in school, as long as they don't force their beleifs on you and look at the subject from more than one point of view there is no problem with teaching religion.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

BadaBing wrote:

So we can get rid of a lot of Science as a lot of it is theory based and English lessons.

If they are teaching you theories in science then they will/should explain the definition of a theory and not teach it as fact. Scientific theories are not claimed to be fact and are based on evidence anyway. It's incomparable with the idea of begin taught religious "theories". I don't see your point with english lessons. They are about english and don't really delve into facts, theories and evidence in my experience. Analysis of english texts isn't the same as telling someone something is true or false about the universe.

Steven wrote:

Even though I think religion is bullshit, you simply can't argue that religion has not influenced a huge number of people. I commend religious people for having faith in something and letting it guide them for the good of their people/etc.

Think what you want, because my point still stands.

RockOn! wrote:

I think it does help to be honest..

To be honest, you're a fool if you think it helps.

max123987 wrote:

And just to inform you all I am Atheist, but I am open minded.

^ Is that really possible?
      Raptor Jesus on the cross would be so much cooler...

i totaly agree with OP religion shud not be taught in skool its sooo wrong like what if sum one was gay and the were sayin that gays go to hell wouldnt that make you feel really bad or what if you athiest? well thats what i think so what ever floats yr boat
      im the girl your mother warned you about:freehugs:

~pebbles~ wrote:

i totaly agree with OP religion shud not be taught in skool its sooo wrong like what if sum one was gay and the were sayin that gays go to hell wouldnt that make you feel really bad or what if you athiest? well thats what i think so what ever floats yr boat

I'm an atheist and I would be delighted to be in a class studying religion, and have been in one in the past. I don't see what's particularly wrong with a teacher saying that a given religion believes that homosexuals go to hell as long as the teacher doesn't say that it is true or advocates it in any way (intelligent discussion of the matter should follow after).
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

The post was edited 1 time, last by isitso ().

~pebbles~ wrote:

Perhaps schools should teach grammar and spelling more.
      Check out my Album.
      :)Max:)

lol ^^

Learning religion isn't neccesarily a bad thing (except maybe, for christianity), as long as its unbiased, and not opinionated. Like my English teacher who taught us about shinto. He didn't tell us it was bad because so and so, or other crap like that (best teacher ever btw). I think there are many religions that can be taught, to help you gain a perspective that you wouldn't normally have after finishing high school.

Learning about religion in school is no different than learning about other history of the world.

Unless the OP was referring to prayer, etc. Then religion should be at whatever denominational house of worship to which you subscribe.

Also people that are religious can pray all they want at school, but actively campaigning for said religion is another no-no
      How To Get Clear Skin Natural/Home Remedies

Ripped Biceps Beginning/Intermediate Workouts & Diet Plans

schmedes2 wrote:

Learning about religion in school is no different than learning about other history of the world.

Yes it is. People find history more interesting, than religion. I'd rather learn more about the wars in the 1800s or any other history event, than I do about why the hell a white-robed, bearded man was nailed to a cross.
      Raptor Jesus on the cross would be so much cooler...

well religion was taught in my school and we looked at all religions, if people were not religious they were not forced to take part unless they wanted to, i would say all my religion teachers were impartial and unbias towards any religion that was not their own personal beliefs, they juts gave us the information and let us decide, like we talked about every religion, even pagan beliefs, i think it should be taught, but it should not be taught to people who do not wish to take part or have no beliefs, and be forced into a class they do not wish to be in!!

VenomX wrote:

Yes it is. People find history more interesting, than religion. I'd rather learn more about the wars in the 1800s or any other history event, than I do about why the hell a white-robed, bearded man was nailed to a cross.
      So that explains why you're so ignorant and bigoted when it comes to religion. You've completely and blatantly ignored anything that has to do with it.

Maybe you find history more interesting than religion, not everyone does. I'm glad to see you're still making your usual generalizations.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

VenomX wrote:

You do realize that the history of a religion still counts as the study of history, right?
      How To Get Clear Skin Natural/Home Remedies

Ripped Biceps Beginning/Intermediate Workouts & Diet Plans

I live in a country where Christianity is the "main" religion. The majority of the population is in one way or another related to it,and the Church can affect many people with what they say. Religion as a subject isn't really about religion,but rather about Christianity. If we are ever told about any other religion it will be in a biased way. The weird thing is that nobody judges you if you are an atheist,but they do if you are of another religion,like Islam.

I believe (like many said in this thread) that religion should be taught in school,but only in a neutral way,informing children about the ideas and beliefs every religion has. Not preaching one religion only.

Well, there is a big debate in this country about faith based education, as in required prayer in the morning in public schools, etc. I thought that's what this topic was about. I didn't think it was about philosophical aspects of religion.. which should be taught in schools.