Religion in schools? Yes or No? (Please read before you post)

• Re: Religion in schools? Yes or No? (Please read before you post)

Scorpio_ wrote:

Religion shouldn't be in schools, period, end of story.

I disagree. Religion, along with all ancient mythology, should be taught. Religion is a valuable part of all cultures foreign and domestic.
      Unfortunately my producer Azamat Bagatov could not make entry to your country because of sex crime problem. But it has been resolved now, because the horse was above the age of consent.

VenomX wrote:

Nevermind. I don't think anybody gets what I'm saying here.

No one get's what you're saying because what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

How a religions developed is still history. How.Are.You.Not.Getting.This.

The Jew's believed in Baal and El. It turned into El/Yaweh and developed into monotheism from there.

Christianity developed from Judaism

Buddhism developed from the story of Gautama Buddha

Somewhere, sometime, people developed the ideas/ideals of a religion. That religion either evolved into its current form today or was forgotten and abandoned. Historians have tracked that progress over the years.

That's history! How could it not be? Explain to me how that is not the history of a religion!
      How To Get Clear Skin Natural/Home Remedies

Ripped Biceps Beginning/Intermediate Workouts & Diet Plans

schmedes2 wrote:

No one get's what you're saying because what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

How a religions developed is still history. How.Are.You.Not.Getting.This.

The Jew's believed in Baal and El. It turned into El/Yaweh and developed into monotheism from there.

Christianity developed from Judaism

Buddhism developed from the story of Gautama Buddha

Somewhere, sometime, people developed the ideas/ideals of a religion. That religion either evolved into its current form today or was forgotten and abandoned. Historians have tracked that progress over the years.

That's history! How could it not be? Explain to me how that is not the history of a religion!

You know what doesn't make sense? Religion. Everything you say is just a bunch of shit.
      Raptor Jesus on the cross would be so much cooler...

VenomX wrote:

You know what doesn't make sense? Religion. Everything you say is just a bunch of shit.

Are you intentionally trying to troll? You're not making any sense. Think about it like this, I say Alexander the Great, Atilla the Hun, George Washington don't exist and they're not true history. You would inevitably say "Well all these historians documented them and their lives, so they probably do exist"

Think about it

Now take that thought and apply it to the history of religion. All of these historians documented these religions as they evolved or were forgotten. RELIGIONS EXIST NOW so they MUST have some sort of history of how they started.

Either make sense or GTFO
      How To Get Clear Skin Natural/Home Remedies

Ripped Biceps Beginning/Intermediate Workouts & Diet Plans

VenomX wrote:

Dude chill out. I don't believe in religions in terms of gods/goddess but nonetheless it does have its values. Regardless of what you or anyone thinks, religion is part of human history, always have been and always will be.
      Check out my Album.
      :)Max:)

VenomX wrote:

Nevermind. I don't think anybody gets what I'm saying here.

It's because you have a narrow definition of history. History is not a collection of arbitrary dates in the past with plenty of wars. It's the total sum of human experience right up to the point where there has been allowed sufficient time to reflect and analyse.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

well, in Poland religion is teached in schools
      it`s mainly Catholic religion (or Protestant/Orthodox if it`s a region where there is more Protestants/Orthodox than Catholics) and people, who are not Catholic has got free time or Ethics - it depends how much people is not Catholic, if one per class it`s no reason for making extra lesson
      but me (and about a half of the population) thinks religion shouldn`t be teached in school, it should be teached in churchs

Everlasting wrote:

I'm going to start off by saying that I do not believe in a god or in gods, but I do believe in reincarnation. But I'm not one to judge ones opinion, because for all I know, I could be wrong and rot in hell. But this is all besides the point my question is:
      Do you think religion should be taught openly in school?
      What I mean by this is, yeah religion has to be taught in school, but by no means do I think that it should be opinionated. My example:
      So in class (history/social studies) We were learning about
      Judaism
      Hinduism
      Buddhism
      Islam
      and Christianity.
      So while my teacher is explaining about Buddism and Hinduism (It's a small school where everyone is Christian but a select few) she decides to put a little twist and say,
      'So if you don't live your life good enough than you could end up as a frog, just because your not good enough for their god' Then someone pipes up and said
      'That's screwed up' My teacher?
      'Yeah, it is, isn't it?'

When teaching religion, I don't believe you should put your wholehearted opinion in, especially if your a teacher. What do you think?

This thing about religions being teached at school is a serious topic in alot of countries.
      I have this stupid stereotype stuck into my head that alot of people in America seem to be strongly conservative and very believing, at least the older generation. I think it is because of this movie " Jesus Camp" that I have seen once. Religion shouldn't by any means be teached in THAT way.
      I personally think that religion should be taught at school, however not in the way they do at the moment.
      Teenagers these days tend to be more open-minded and have critical mind, this goes at least for my school. So a lesson, where you actually focus on debating and teaching the different side of views and how in the core they actually remain the same should be the principal issue.

Forgive if i am not making any sense, it's kind of hard for me to find the right words at the moment.

NoDanger wrote:

This thing about religions being teached at school is a serious topic in alot of countries.
      I have this stupid stereotype stuck into my head that alot of people in America seem to be strongly conservative and very believing, at least the older generation. I think it is because of this movie " Jesus Camp" that I have seen once. Religion shouldn't by any means be teached in THAT way.
      I personally think that religion should be taught at school, however not in the way they do at the moment.
      Teenagers these days tend to be more open-minded and have critical mind, this goes at least for my school. So a lesson, where you actually focus on debating and teaching the different side of views and how in the core they actually remain the same should be the principal issue.

Forgive if i am not making any sense, it's kind of hard for me to find the right words at the moment.

Oh my... I've only seen clips of that documentary, but I found it extremely disturbing.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IMHO, there should be no religion classes in school. Why? Because we can think whatever we want, what if we don't believe in Gods? I mean, it's just wrong to force someone to think what we want him to, am I right? Maybe it was OK in Hitler's Germany, but now a days it sucks. Personally, I was obligated to go through this classes (they were obligatory at my school) but got out as soon as I could. I don't regret.
      Man, I need a beer.:drink:
      :stupid:

Joe- wrote:

IMHO, there should be no religion classes in school. Why? Because we can think whatever we want, what if we don't believe in Gods? I mean, it's just wrong to force someone to think what we want him to, am I right?
      Nobody would be forcing you to think a certain way. We're not talking about obliging students to accept a certain religion; students would learn about religion from an educational standpoint, without any bias. You would learn about multiple religions and their ideological beliefs, but the teacher wouldn't be condoning that religion. It would be purely educational.

Joe- wrote:

Maybe it was OK in Hitler's Germany, but now a days it sucks. Personally, I was obligated to go through this classes (they were obligatory at my school) but got out as soon as I could. I don't regret.
      You seriously brought Hitler into this?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scorpio_ wrote:

What about the people who don't believe in religion? We can forget about them - they're usually forgotten anyway!
      Assuming a religious class includes a curriculum of around a dozen religions (including the major ones), everybody who enrolls in such as class will end up learning about a religion they don't personally believe in. The only difference is, atheists/agnostics will be learning about 12 religions they don't accept, whereas someone such as a Christian will be educated on 11 religions they don't accept.

As for you last comment, I'm afraid I don't see the relevance.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]