Europeans...

• Europeans...

Do Europeans often go and live in other European countries? I mean like, in the U.S. all states have the same primary language and what not and there isn't so much of a culture shock when you move to another state. I would imagine if you were Irish and you moved to Germany you'd be like... WTF?... I'm just curious on the subject btw. Enlighten me!
    • Re: Europeans...

I'm not immediately European, but I've known several.

Yes, they definitely move between countries quite often. Since the job market is so competitive, some of them have no choice but to move to foreign countries. Others move to escape harsh conditions in their own countries (this is particularly true for Eastern Europeans).

Europeans (particularly mainland Europeans) can usually speak several languages, and one always learns a bit of culture when one learns a language. They're also generally a bit more open-minded to cultural diversity since it's so predominate on the continent. Having sporting leagues that span across many of the countries helps introduce the different cultures as well I would imagine, so there isn't as much of a shock. There will always be a couple "wtf!?" moments though :P That's unavoidable, but they're much more open to diversity so they adjust quickly.

Hope that helped a bit :P All the Europeans I've met have been super awes-mazing but maybe I have only met the nice ones who follow what I have just said. xD

I wouldn't say a lot do, it depends on the country though I guess. You'd get a good few Irish going to the UK, and there's a lot of Polish people for example coming here for work. But it's not hugely common for people to move between countries a lot, though a lot of border areas would have people fluent in the languages of both countries, like in Nothern Italy.

I personally would have no problem going to Germany though :p Given the example in your OP. Germany's awesome, and I studied German for six years in school, why not use it? And like Tieko said, usually when you've learned a language, you learn about the culture too.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

hye, i jstu red ur post in the dibates and diskushon bord lol
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

DamnImGood;1062835947 wrote:

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

I dunno, while I haven't been to Europe (yet) I've experienced quite a bit of culture shock just traveling to other US states. Generally if you stay in larger metropolitan areas the differences are minimal to nonexistent, but I definitely felt like I had traveled to a foreign country a few years ago when I visited rural Kentucky. The way the locals spoke, and their odd, backwards way of life gave me muuuuuuch more culture shock than my trip to Mexico did a few years before that.

There are some interesting points made here, and with very good timing! I am Catalan and I have recently found out I will be again working this summer in England, I was there for the end of last summer too. I also plan to study in either England, Scotland or in Poland (my mother is Polish so I am comfortable with their language). Tieko, I am not sure that the majority of immigration is due to working conditions, there is really big unemployment in Catalunya right now, but still many immigrants are coming here - if a worker from another country cannot find employment here then it is not a benefit for him to have emigrated here! I think much immigration right now is because maybe people are enjoying freedom which prevously they did not have, before the Schengen agreement was signed. I would offer you the example that if somebody told you you could now move to Milan, Rome, Barcelona, Paris, Vienna, Lisbon or any one of the beautiful cities Europe has to offer without any paper work I am sure you would love that offer too! You are correct about languages though, I can now speak 5 languages (although one of these is Latin, which does not really count!) and I am also attempting to learn two more, and you also learn about the culture and history of that country which is pretty interesting :)

I hope this all made sense!

Well, I really don't think us Englishmen move around, all that much. But Europeans in general, move around tons. I'm not trying to sound anything other than genuine, by saying a lot of it is coming into the UK. But nobody seems to move out. Hence causing all the problems we have with jobs, and our economy, etc. Although you get the people that retire to go live in Spain, or France, even Portugal.

Mr Jack wrote:

Well, I really don't think us Englishmen move around, all that much. But Europeans in general, move around tons. I'm not trying to sound anything other than genuine, by saying a lot of it is coming into the UK. But nobody seems to move out. Hence causing all the problems we have with jobs, and our economy, etc. Although you get the people that retire to go live in Spain, or France, even Portugal.

you're wrong.

Mr Jack wrote:

Without immigration the British economy would have collapsed many, many years ago. That is a very naive thing for you to have said.

I wouldn't say that Europeans move a lot,vacations aside. If it's not about work or education,they don't. I myself will probably go to England to study psychology. And Mr Jack,I don't actually agree. So if I come into England,will I not rent a house,buy your products,and pay for my education? If anything,I will bring more money than I will "take".

Of course,that's a simple way of putting it,and there is much debate to be had about it.

When I went to Europe in 2008 (France), I was surprised how accessible everything seemed to be. Like from Paris, there are ample trains going to different places- eg. Toulouse, Brussels, Barcelona etc. and that going to a different country is like a day trip/weekend thing. :p would be so weird I guess to have everything so compact and accessible o.o as an example, you can get around France on a TGV and be on the other side of the country in 3 hours.

This is close to the distance from Brisbane to Sydney, which takes a nice 13 hours on the train.

I'm not surprised Europeans go around a lot :) I would think it is exciting to have so many different cultures so close to you which you can easily get to :) so many cities and places to visit! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Member20832 ().

LanaBanana wrote:

you're wrong.

Ok.

(Don't call me out without explaining, why?)

Princesa wrote:

Without immigration the British economy would have collapsed many, many years ago. That is a very naive thing for you to have said.

Well I don't agree.

Not to sound like a racist, (because I'm not.) But to claim that we need all the immigrants in our country makes no sense. Workers from all over the E.U. Famously, Polish and Romanian flock to the UK in hopes of finding a better life or whatnot. Now this puts strain on our economy in two main factors.

These workers replace our own, in agreements to work cheaply for the same job. Causing rates of unemployment to sky rocket, which means that more families are put onto income support, claiming job benefits. Now the government then is forced to raise taxes/cut the money from elsewhere. For example, The NHS or Education.

Secondly, the people still in jobs in Britain are going to be taxed even more highly than otherwise, to pay for the housing and the keep of these immigrants. Regardless whether or not they are here legally.

PotEl wrote:

I wouldn't say that Europeans move a lot,vacations aside. If it's not about work or education,they don't. I myself will probably go to England to study psychology. And Mr Jack,I don't actually agree. So if I come into England,will I not rent a house,buy your products,and pay for my education? If anything,I will bring more money than I will "take".

Of course,that's a simple way of putting it,and there is much debate to be had about it.

How are you going to rent a house? HOW, are you going to buy our products. HOW DO YOU PAY FOR EDUCATION?... Do you not see, money isn't magical that gets delivered to you out of thin air. If you receive money from where ever. In turn that stops someone else, somewhere else in the world from recieving that money.
      Banks can't just keep printing money. That's what got us into the whole mess in the first place.

No offence, but I think you have just believe what you have said, is true because you don't actually live here yourself.

If you still think I'm wrong. Then tell me, why!